Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 05:50 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Lol I've heard someone say that before.
Yeah, that poster has some issues. They like to bash Chicago and boost other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 06:13 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,982 times
Houston in a heartbeat...... Chicago is alright to visit, but wouldn't want to live there

Old 09-24-2012, 06:35 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
Yeah, that poster has some issues. They like to bash Chicago and boost other cities.
Hey, I'm not taking sides here. I was just saying that I've heard someone say that before lol.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
For the record, I will say that your posts seem much more intelligently crafted (except when trying to insult me) than the other two's, whom I will allow to self-identify, if you don't mind. I simply believe we have a misunderstanding rooted in reading comprehension.

When I remarked about people not choosing Houston based solely on its urban atmosphere, you countered with the indisputable fact that there are people who choose Houston over Sugar Land for this reason. I concede this, but I hope you aren't being purposefully dense. Of course Houston is more urban than Sugar Land, but to a well traveled person who enjoys dense, walkable, non-car-centric city life -- I am not claiming that applies to all young people, but it does seem to be the trend these days -- Houston does not offer very much.
Excuse me, but you're talking him . Of course you would assume that the lowly Houstonian who sticks up for his city simply wouldn't know any better.

I have never said that Houston was this dense mass that would suit ANY urbanite. What I'm saying is that it does have SOME of it, and it might be suitable for SOME. I have no idea how many times I must repeat that point before you finally get it.

If you're sensing hostility, I apologize, but it's extremely frustrating to have to explain the same thing over and over again...to a grown person. You are the one, however, who resorted to flaming in your previous post.

Quote:
I lived in Montrose, The Heights and The West End for many years. There were a few places to walk, sure, but all these neighborhoods were made up of mostly single family residential buildings (even many of the businesses are in small houses scattered among other residential buildings). It's cool and interesting and absolutely has a character that is fun to explore. It's just not city life to someone who knows the difference and enjoys places like NYC, SF and yes, Chicago.

That is not meant to be a negative judgment. I am very pro-Houston! It is my favorite city in Texas. I found it enjoyable for reasons very different from those that make me enjoy Chicago, though, with almost no cross-over inside the cities-proper. They are hugely different environments. To suggest, as you and the other poster seem to do, that minus public transportation differences, the two are a toss-up makes me wonder if you have ever been to Chicago.
Trust me, I have my doubts about whether or not you've actually been to Houston.

Aside from public transportation, going solely off of the OP's criteria, it is a toss-up: libraries, museums, culture, nightlife, etc...Houston has it all. Does Chicago have more? Certainly, but quantity =/= quality, and the OP never said anything about needing the largest amount of these things. If that were the case, I doubt they would even consider Houston, being that it's the smaller city.

Quote:
I was in Alameda, CA. visiting friends this past weekend. Almeda is a quiet suburb of Oakland with single-family bungalows, lawns, kids, a few good restaurants and several funky little bars clustered in its early 20th century downtown. My first reaction, coming from San Francisco was, "Wow! this is great! It reminds me a lot of Montrose, with a bit of The Heights in this well-defined retail/restaurant area." I felt no elitism overwhelming me. I really loved it there. I knew I wasn't in SF anymore, though. It reminded me of home in Houston.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Alame...355.16,,0,7.52

If i had listed the above streetview shot as The Heights or Montrose, with the cool little bar on the corner, low-density retail and the SUVs in the street I would bet most Houstonians would not know the difference.
Good for you. You put me in my place by reminding me that Houston's best neighborhoods would only qualify as the town center of a suburb outside of what you consider to be a real city.

As for the similarities between the two places, a true Houstonian would notice that there are a few specifics in that streetview that make it clear it's not in Houston. You claim to know the city well, so I'll let you tell me what they are.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
I honestly was not attempting to elicit hostility. As to your point of explaining time and again to an obviously grown person, I assure you it is taken.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:41 PM

362 posts, read 665,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsja View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm graduating from college soon and Im trying to decide between
two cities to move to. The cities are Houston and Chicago.
First some info about me. I was born in Dallas but Ive lived
in Minneapolis since I was seven. I have relatives that live in Dallas so
I've gone their for holidays and summer. Dallas is the only Texas city I know
well. I've been to Chicago once about ten years ago on a family vacation.
I really loved the city even though I was only there two days.

I'm thinking of these two cities for many reasons.
I want to live in a city with lots of diversity, a reasonable cost of living,
strong culture(lots of museums and libraries) good restaurants, nightlife and shopping.
So Chicago is the obvious choice but there are some things making me think about Houston.

One being that its in the state I was born in so I'm interested in
living there to reconnect with it. Another reason is I've never been to
Houston nor do I know much about it so its like a mystery to me and I'd want
to go there to see what its like. I know so much about Chicago I think it may
not be that exciting to move their.

Another big factor in this is I don't own a car. I rely on public transportation
to get around which is another reason why I'm considering Chicago because
of its transit system and I don't know what Houston offers as far a mass transit.

If anyone can offer insight on this I would appriciate it.

Since I have friends and familiy in Chicago, I visit the city very often. Also, I lived in Houston for 2 years, so I think I have a say in this

Chicago fits everything in your requirements. I think they both even out in the job opportunities, however, Chicago takes the cake with it's much better nightlife, better amenities, and massive urban footprint only second in size to NYC. Also, because of it's walkability, and the ability to live care free(4 of my friends have for 5 years).

Houston, on the other hand, has better weather in my opinion, nice suburbs, and (IMO) in a better location (how can you not like Texas)

Old 09-24-2012, 07:56 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
Since I have friends and familiy in Chicago, I visit the city very often. Also, I lived in Houston for 2 years, so I think I have a say in this

Chicago fits everything in your requirements. I think they both even out in the job opportunities, however, Chicago takes the cake with it's much better nightlife, better amenities, and massive urban footprint only second in size to NYC. Also, because of it's walkability, and the ability to live care free(4 of my friends have for 5 years).

Houston, on the other hand, has better weather in my opinion, nice suburbs, and (IMO) in a better location (how can you not like Texas)
Thank you for stating in a single post what inexplicably took me about seven or eight. Rep added.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Thank you for stating in a single post what inexplicably took me about seven or eight. Rep added.
LMNH could have been more clear that it was only her opinion.

As far as our back-and-forth goes, you have only your poor word choice and lack of comprehension skills to blame.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:11 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
I love Chicago, but i really love the racial diversity in Houston.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:22 PM

Here's my first post, in case anyone was questioning my bottom-line:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I would've suggested either city, until you mentioned that you didn't have a car. Houston does have walkable neighborhoods and public transportation, but, like any other Sunbelt city, having your own car allows you to make the most out of living there.

I'd go with Chicago, for the time being. Houston isn't going anywhere.
...but since it's been argued that Houston can't hold its own in other categories outside of public transportation, let's evaluate that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsja View Post

I'm thinking of these two cities for many reasons.
I want to live in a city with lots of diversity
Check
Quote:
, a reasonable cost of living,
Check
Quote:
strong culture(lots of museums and libraries)
Check.
Quote:
good restaurants,
Check
Quote:
nightlife
Check
Quote:
and shopping.
Check

...so I'm not seeing how Houston would not have been an otherwise valid option.

Back to my first post, Houston's lack of sufficient rail transit is what initially made me recommend Chicago, but I also considered the fact that the OP was raised in Minneapolis, so I'm assuming that they would be more comfortable with a Midwest winter than they would a Deep South summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.