Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 PM

567 posts, read 1,120,312 times

Advertisements

I'm from Los Angeleez. When I was younger I used to be flabbergasted why anybody would want to relocate to places like Ft. Worth, TX, or Phoenix, AZ. "It's affordable!" Yeah, sure, but....

Now, I do understand the affordability thing (especially after I relocated to Vegas, where rent is at the national average as opposed to being through the roof), and if it's a matter of work (you lose your job here and have one lined up over there) then such is life. But beyond that, it was difficult for me to sympathize or understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 02:46 PM

8 posts, read 9,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
This definitely exists. Never true with any big-city, always mid-size. Mixed with college towns.

Like cities where the average person will actually get mad/slightly offended if you express interest in leaving. Or cities where you have to be very careful with how you tell others you are considering moving.

Will let others include some opinions first, don't want anyone getting upset at the Jonez list.
Any city in tx.... youd be surprised how brainwashed they are into thinking they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, they are taught in schools to be "proud" of their "state" from elementary school and up its the saddest thing ever. They are the most defensive when someone states that there are better states and better places out their than their own. They will yell, scream, fight they will tell you "if you can't take it get the h*** out then we'll pay for your plane ticket!" and most of them have never left their state its just sad. Theyre completely delusional, I wish they would secede already.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:46 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
^^^

Kansas City/St. Louis are not so much about this "revival" thing some of the other cities desperately try to prove. Those are the ones that get mad if anyone wants to leave.
This is true in Kansas City, particularly the suburbs. They wouldn't have any idea why people would desire to move away to escape the horribly conformist & corporate drone culture. The social culture of KC is just as bad as rural Iowa as most are looked as an "anomaly" if they 1) Haven't gotten married by age 28-30, 2) Don't have a kid or kids before age 30.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
I don't think it's everywhere...I'd say mainly in "emerging regional cities".

Omaha/Des Moines/Indianapolis/Boise type cities

Not really true with larger rust belt cities though - you can say you don't like it there. Same with most truly big cities or transient cities.
Baloney! Pittsburgh, Denver, Chicago are three I can think of off the top of my head.

Pittsburgh: You won't like it in (insert name of sunbelt city). It's hot, buggy, yada, yada.
Denver: You won't like it in (insert name of city east of Denver). It's humid there.
Chicago: You won't like it in (insert name of any city). It's not Chicago.

Quote:
It's not really about Chicago at all. It's allowed to express interest in wanting to move there. You'll meet people there who openly tell you they'd rather be somewhere else. That would never happen in Des Moines, Indianapolis, Omaha, Madison. Any city that overvalues civic involvement and is not quite known as a big city, but thinks of itself that way, takes things much more seriously. Also, an overwhelming majority white population in the actual city seems to play a role.

St. Louis/Kansas City never struck me as being quite as territorial as the previously mentioned cities and also have a lower percentage of whites (although it's close with Indiananpolis/Kansas City). For some reason, this plays a role.
Actually, most Omahans have an inferiority complex about their city, IME.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:05 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janed0einthecity View Post
Any city in tx.... youd be surprised how brainwashed they are into thinking they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, they are taught in schools to be "proud" of their "state" from elementary school and up its the saddest thing ever. They are the most defensive when someone states that there are better states and better places out their than their own. They will yell, scream, fight they will tell you "if you can't take it get the h*** out then we'll pay for your plane ticket!" and most of them have never left their state its just sad. Theyre completely delusional, I wish they would secede already.
I was going through this thread wondering when someone would bring up Texas. I agree with you. People can get very defensive very quickly if you aren't one of those "I wasn't born here but I got here as fast as I could" types. I live in Austin and so many people who live here think it is the greatest place ever. When you express preferences for something else, most go straight away to anger. Not everyone is into six months of summer, fire ants in every patch of grass, trees no more than ten feet tall, dead grass in every month other than March April and May.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:10 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
It's not really about Chicago at all. It's allowed to express interest in wanting to move there. You'll meet people there who openly tell you they'd rather be somewhere else. That would never happen in Des Moines, Indianapolis, Omaha, Madison. Any city that overvalues civic involvement and is not quite known as a big city, but thinks of itself that way, takes things much more seriously. Also, an overwhelming majority white population in the actual city seems to play a role.

St. Louis/Kansas City never struck me as being quite as territorial as the previously mentioned cities and also have a lower percentage of whites (although it's close with Indiananpolis/Kansas City). For some reason, this plays a role.
Interesting. What does the white role have to do with it?

My take on St. Louis: a healthy proportion grows up wanting to leave and go to bigger and better things (often Chicago), and a smaller but still healthy proportion does leave. Many come back. No, it's not Chicago, but many big city amenities with a fairly low cost of living and just general easy day to day life stuff, like most commutes are 20 minutes type of thing.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:50 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janed0einthecity View Post
Tad bit of an exageration, but I get the jist.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:54 AM

Miamians/Floridians don't care. So many transplants go in and out, and criticize the state while living there, that Flordians are used to it. Miamians and Floridians are use to the Florida jokes in the media on shows like SNL, 30 Rock, etc. Go to the Florida thread, there's plenty of realist who will keep it 100% with you about the negatives of Miami and the state of Florida in general. None of the Florida natives have a slanted view of Florida being paradise. That view usually comes from transplants who 1st move down there, then end up hating it. Not saying you won't get any Miami defenders, South Florida folks are gonna defend South Florida in the face of ridiculous stereotypes, but generally, they understand why folks would hate Florida.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:57 AM

My experience with NY'ers has been a mixed bag. There are many hardcore defenders of NYC, who think NYC is the greatest place on earth, and can't fathom why anyone would not want to love there. I know of one lady in particular who always has to harken "Back in New York". Then there are NY'ers who love NYC, but have made it clear that they are happy to not live in NYC anymore, and would never move back.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:59 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Baloney! Pittsburgh, Denver, Chicago are three I can think of off the top of my head.
Honestly, I think Pittsburgh is past the point of being insulted if somebody wants to leave. What's more likely to insult a Pittsburgher these days is somebody who hates it there not leaving, or somebody who hated it and left coming back to complain about how terrible it supposedly is. If you hate it and you're still there, then get ****in' lost already. If you hated it and left, then stay gone. You're wasting everybody's time, especially your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.