Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 08:37 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think that if you want warm and lots of (recorded) history, you want someplace in the Deep South.
Oregonwoodsmoke, I should have stated that I mean historic buildings and architecture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 12:29 AM

13 posts, read 24,511 times
Santa Fe?

Old 11-25-2012, 12:42 AM

13 posts, read 24,511 times
I love New Orleans but it has a heaviness to it. It can be a transforming place if you can get beyond that and the high humidity. Plus you need to stay on guard in certain areas, esp at night, but I guess that is true of most cities. What about Oxford?

Old 11-25-2012, 02:35 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,891,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Hey Cacto, I am only familiar with the north part of Tucson (Ina, Skyview etc.), is there an area with historic type homes down there?

There's the El Presidio neighborhood, Tucson's oldest, near downtown. Not much remains, though it was the site of the original Spanish fort. The area is sometimes divided as the Presidio District and Barrio Viejo.

Others like Barrio Historico (aka Barrio Libre), Sam Hughes Neighborhood, Iron Horse, and quite a few others are historic neighborhoods worth checking out. Some are college kid, some are full of the downtown white collar set, some are run down. They're all close to U of A and downtown.

4th Ave, Tucson's Mill Ave. only better and more cultural, is old and used to be called Barrio Tiburon. It's a good starting point because there's indie coffee shops, non-chain restaurants, indie bookstores, bars and music venues all within a walkable distance.

All the pics are from the Tucson forums sticky "Tucson Photos" and Wiki actually has a good rundown on the historic neighborhoods of Tucson with their locations.

Give Tucson more of a chance when you're feeling blah about PHX, you drive about an hour and a half south and you're in a city that still feels like old Arizona.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the very thorough post Cacto, I've never seen this part of Tucson. Is the hisotirc district safe for a single woman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post

There's the El Presidio neighborhood, Tucson's oldest, near downtown. Not much remains, though it was the site of the original Spanish fort. The area is sometimes divided as the Presidio District and Barrio Viejo.

Others like Barrio Historico (aka Barrio Libre), Sam Hughes Neighborhood, Iron Horse, and quite a few others are historic neighborhoods worth checking out. Some are college kid, some are full of the downtown white collar set, some are run down. They're all close to U of A and downtown.

4th Ave, Tucson's Mill Ave. only better and more cultural, is old and used to be called Barrio Tiburon. It's a good starting point because there's indie coffee shops, non-chain restaurants, indie bookstores, bars and music venues all within a walkable distance.

All the pics are from the Tucson forums sticky "Tucson Photos" and Wiki actually has a good rundown on the historic neighborhoods of Tucson with their locations.

Give Tucson more of a chance when you're feeling blah about PHX, you drive about an hour and a half south and you're in a city that still feels like old Arizona.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjnyc View Post
I love New Orleans but it has a heaviness to it. It can be a transforming place if you can get beyond that and the high humidity. Plus you need to stay on guard in certain areas, esp at night, but I guess that is true of most cities. What about Oxford?
Have you lived in New Orleans? I have a distant fascination with it but have never even been there (I know that might sound crazy).

Where is Oxford, I tried Googling it but don't know the state.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjnyc View Post
Santa Fe?
I think it's too cold in the winter for me.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:09 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Oxford is in MS - it is a university town.

I'm also recommending St Augustine - you might post in the Jacksonville forum to see if it has a new age presence. I remember a bookstore from my last visit but that was ages ago.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:47 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,891,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks for the very thorough post Cacto, I've never seen this part of Tucson. Is the hisotirc district safe for a single woman?
Like I said, some are rundown, some are fairly affluent. It's just like the historic neighborhoods in PHX, some are full of yuppies and some are full of cholos. The difference is the Tucson historic neighborhoods tend to be close together, with people walking and biking, and more of a downtown Tempe feel closer to Tucson's 4th Ave.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieExtraordinaire View Post
San Juan is an option.

It's simultaneously the warmest and most historic option given to you. Yeah, it's technically not a state but being part of the USA (a territory) it's very easy for you to pack up and relocate there. You don't even need a passport.

It being on an island with spanish as the predominate language will definitively be "transforming." In addition, you'll get a much bigger culture shock moving there than say Santa Fe or Tucson.
Thanks, I should have been more specific, I want to be in a US state and want to have access to easy travel (to other states) and be somehwat near a large center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.