Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:22 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
...but, despite their name, those aren't really mountains either. I mean, northern MN is a pretty place, but let's call it like it is. Maybe your opinion differs from mine, but I don't think many people would say that there is anything in Minnesota that would be considered a legitimate mountain. Certainly, Minnesota doesn't/wouldn't crack the top 10 in my book for most diverse geography, and I don't think most people would think so either...
Mountains are based on height and prominence. The middle of the Tibetan Plateu is extremely high up, yet a 1,500 foot hill in a relatively flat area is more of a mountain because of its prominence. Tibet is flat. "Mounting" something means two things. To place something up high, or to place something in plain and obvious view. The change of elevation in the Sawtooth Range is short and steep, so they are mountainous by prominence moreso than by height. It's all relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 01:54 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Mountains
Cities
Deserts
Hills
Forest
Beaches
Small towns
Rivers
Ect

Top 10 states

My opinion

California
Pennsylvania
Washington
New York
Florida
Colorado
???????
I would say Alaska, Texas, and North Carolina are all strong candidates. I would also remove Pennsylvania in favor of Utah, and remove Florida in favor of Georgia.

Oregon is a bit more diverse than it is given credit for, too. With Washington and California on the list, you might just say the West Coast gets a clean sweep there.

Honorable mentions:
Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Idaho.

My final list:
Alaska
California
Colorado
Georgia
New York
North Carolina
Oregon
Texas
Utah
Washington

HM:
Arkansas
Idaho
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Virginia

Old 12-20-2012, 04:59 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,151,507 times
Alabama is one of the most geographicaly diverse states in the country. Alabama has a beach,mountains,rivers,canyons,caves,bay, and an island.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:09 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
Mountains are based on height and prominence. The middle of the Tibetan Plateu is extremely high up, yet a 1,500 foot hill in a relatively flat area is more of a mountain because of its prominence. Tibet is flat. "Mounting" something means two things. To place something up high, or to place something in plain and obvious view. The change of elevation in the Sawtooth Range is short and steep, so they are mountainous by prominence moreso than by height. It's all relative.
It's only relative to someone who's not experienced real mountains.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:16 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
It's only relative to someone who's not experienced real mountains.
No, it's not. I've been in the Rockies, Appalachians, Cascades, Olympics, and smaller mountain ranges in the Southwest. I've experienced real mountains, and I still think that the Sawtooth range is made up of small, fairly short, but prominent mountains.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy1685 View Post
California by a landslide. The state is almost the whole west coast for gods sake! lol That state really needs to be split
And even then, the two halves would still be the #1 and #2 most diverse states.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:14 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
And even then, the two halves would still be the #1 and #2 most diverse states.
doubt it. you guys are superboosting Cali and not giving other states enough credit.

In actuality, California is not that far ahead of Texas.

California may have the edge but it Does have competition

Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 PM

Texas has 10 climatic regions, 14 soil regions, and 11 distinct ecological regions according to Wikipedia.

It would be great to have a similar listing for California but their page on Wiki does not list that.

Here is a cool graphic that show that these two states are extremely diverse in bioregions, and hopefully stem the talk that California is so far ahead that if you split it in two it would still be the top two.

clearly Texas and California are the two most diverse.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_previous.jpg

Edit:
here is an even more detailed graphic:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ted_States.png

From that I would say the top are

1. Texas
2. California
3. New York
4. Oregon
5. Pennsylvania

Last edited by JMT; 12-21-2012 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 07:23 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,769 times
^I count 12 for Oklahoma.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
^I count 12 for Oklahoma.
opps, I didn't even notice OK. Guess I saw it as an extension of Texas. But it looks like it is a top 5, maybe top 3 contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Geologically, climatologically, geographically, agriculturally, and in most other ways, no state can compete with California, which has:
Been looking it up and you are very wrong.

California does indeed have stiff competition Geologically, Climatologically, geographically AND agriculturally.

My gosh what is up with the California over-confidence in this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.