Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,083 times

Advertisements

Do we know when/why most white southerners started speaking with rhodic instead of non-rhodic accents? I just did a play in which we had to do the classic non-rhodic "southern belle/gentlemen" accent. The play took place in Atlanta 100 years ago. My grandmother was from North Carolina and my grandfather was from Atlanta and both of them had non rhodic southern dialects: they were born in 1900 and 1910 respectively. Also, are there still white Atlantans who drop their r's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 09:15 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siyomasiari View Post
Do we know when/why most white southerners started speaking with rhodic instead of non-rhodic accents? I just did a play in which we had to do the classic non-rhodic "southern belle/gentlemen" accent. The play took place in Atlanta 100 years ago. My grandmother was from North Carolina and my grandfather was from Atlanta and both of them had non rhodic southern dialects: they were born in 1900 and 1910 respectively. Also, are there still white Atlantans who drop their r's?
I want to say yes. If you count the suburbs, then absolutely.

I can't really answer when, but why is believed to be because of a general stigmatization of Southern accents. It's the same reason Philly's accent is becoming Yankee-fied.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:28 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,103 times
Quote:
Yes, many if not most southerners during that time were mostly non rhotic speakers. I believe the following generations probably dropped it because of education and it seem to carry a reputation for pretentiousness. The southern planter/belle thing is mocked to some degree even in the south. So people distanced themselves from non rhoticism. Some people may still speak that way, but fewer and fewer are doing so. Southern pride or not, it pays to be understood by all.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:49 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Yes, many if not most southerners during that time were mostly non rhotic speakers. I believe the following generations probably dropped it because of education and it seem to carry a reputation for pretentiousness. The southern planter/belle thing is mocked to some degree even in the south. So people distanced themselves from non rhoticism. Some people may still speak that way, but fewer and fewer are doing so. Southern pride or not, it pays to be understood by all.
So you're saying you can't understand British people?

Personally, as someone from a rhotic region I think the "r" consonant can sound horrendous. I speak with a rhotic dialect but sometimes wish I didn't. It makes my nasal accent sound worse.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:26 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Non-rhotic accents have been dying off in the coastal south for at least two generations now. However, they are in no danger of going extinct in the Boston or NYC area. They've developed into a sociolect in both places (if you grow up in a wealthier area, you probably don't drop your r's) but anyone from the Boston or NYC metro can tell you that plenty of younger lower-middle and working-class white people still drop their r's.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:51 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Non-rhotic accents have been dying off in the coastal south for at least two generations now. However, they are in no danger of going extinct in the Boston or NYC area. They've developed into a sociolect in both places (if you grow up in a wealthier area, you probably don't drop your r's) but anyone from the Boston or NYC metro can tell you that plenty of younger lower-middle and working-class white people still drop their r's.
Agreed, but the Boston and NYC metro areas aren't even that bad in this regard compared to Rhode Island.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
You sure about that? Many young NYers I've met (White) are almost fully rhotic. But in the black population this is not the case.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:29 AM

150 posts, read 215,077 times
We hear people talk as much on TV and in movies as we do in real life it seems, and producers and directors are always looking for actors or television presenters with "neutral" accents. Thus, after a while, we all normalize to a similar accent.

Same thing here in Canada.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
We hear people talk as much on TV and in movies as we do in real life it seems, and producers and directors are always looking for actors or television presenters with "neutral" accents. Thus, after a while, we all normalize to a similar accent.

Same thing here in Canada.
Except that isn't the case. In the US, though some features like rhoticity spread like wildfire, some aspects of our accents actually DIVERGE. For example, the Northern Cities Vowel Shift is one way in which Northerners are moving away from the General American.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:36 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,739 times
Quote:
Actually, many Southerners (black and white) back then pronounced the "sustained-R" sound in a Brooklyn, NY-type way. Some older Southerners, still do this, today. This pronunciation can be heard in old Blues recordings, old Amos and Andy shows, etc.

Examples: bird, hurt, third, first, work, thirsty =
In the American south: bu-eed, hu-eet, thu-eed, fu-eest, wu-eek, thu-eesty
In Brooklyn, NY (in older generations): boyd, hoyt, thoyd, foyst, woik, thoisty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.