Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 10:32 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohakarin View Post
Well, I have never been to an ocean beach. Our best lake beach near Oklahoma City is a quick getaway , and a lot more quiet. The sand is nice, and the boats create waves that are fun to float on, but you cant see past your chest.
There is absolutely no substitute for the ocean. You have to see it for yourself. An aloha getaway to Hawaii would be a mighty great place to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 01:39 PM

268 posts, read 430,731 times
The list was good. My favorite beaches are definitely any north shore Hawaiian beach. Waimea Bay Oahu is one of my favorites. Love Maui's Baldwin Beach and Big Beach. I didn't think Poipu was that nice.

Oregon beaches are beautiful but definitely more about the scenery than the beach life. Have a soft spot for the Jersey Shore since I grew up there, but they're not the most beautiful.

I've only visited NC beaches once, and remember them being pretty, not brown or muddy. Would love to visit Charleston, but news of muddy waters definitely gives me pause. Lake Michigan looks beautiful but the lakes don't have those pounding waves, right? For me, that's a huge part of beach going.

Visiting Laguna in the next month and am now very excited to see it. Coronado is nice, but has nothing special compared to other beaches. Even Carlsbad beaches are really nice.

Half of these lists are probably unduly influenced by PR people, so I don't take too much stock. All beaches are beautiful in their own way.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:13 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Clear water, nice sand, great scenery, etc... Not sure what size has to do with it.
Yep-I've been to Laguna, La Jolla and Assateague Island since I first posted in this thread in 2013. Laguna and La Jolla are spectacular and Assateague has wild horses with nice sand .

La Isla de Culebra in Puerto Rico has my favorite beaches in the US if they count although I haven't been to Hawaii.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 07-19-2014 at 03:27 PM..

Old 07-19-2014, 03:18 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Once you have been to South Carolina, and these supposed gorgeous beaches, you will be glad to go to NJ beaches. The ocean water in South Carolina is disgusting. Seriously, the water is muddy brown and looks more like a river than the ocean. Even supposed beauty Kiawah Island had ocean water that looked like the Delaware River in Philadelphia. Not nice at all.
You know, the more I travel the more I appreciate the good ol' Jersey Shore-consistently nice sand, warmish waters, tons of things to do, etc but South Carolina does have nice beaches. The water color in Myrtle Beach is a beautiful green/blue and the ocean/sand and beach culture in Folly Beach near Charleston is awesome.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:51 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,768,504 times
I never even knew about #7's beach, I go to Virginia Beach every June, but I didn't think the Delmarva part of Virginia had any public beaches.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:24 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohakarin View Post
I have always wanted to visit San Diego, and swim in the pacific. I'm sure the beaches there are pretty nice.
The beaches in San Diego are nice, but the water ain't the warmest. In summer, it's pretty nice-tops out at about 72-73F in August or September, though this year is warmer than normal. The big draw to beaches in San Diego are the following:
1. the weather. The weather in summer/fall on the beach tends to be 70-82F, very rarely hotter than that. In addition, it is lacking in humidity compared to the East Coast, no bugs, softer sand than the East Coast (but nothing compared to the Gulf Coast sand), cool nights..often out east, it is just hot, humid and buggy on the beach with no relief. Then, there's the thunderstorms that can put a damper (pun intended) on your beach day. No monsoons on CA's beaches.

2. The surf. Probably has the best waves in the USA after Hawaii.
3. The scenery. Looks very much like the Mediterranean with its palm trees and cliffs with cacti and other such plants, mountains in the distance, and some bays and coves with clearer water. In some parts, there are also salt marshes, like the type you might find in Florida.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:29 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Clear Water is a very clean beach and the sand is like sugar in consistency. Myrtle Beach is good too. Outer Banks are exceptional in the variety of natural activities and attractions. Nothing boring on the Outer Banks.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:03 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
I'd love to go to all those beaches. But, I have heard from friends that the water in Clearwater is somewhat murky, or at least, more so than they saw in pictures or expected. From all the pics I saw, it looked a beautiful greenish color.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:50 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,953 times
I've been to several of them and the Beach State Park in Rockport Texas is just as nice. I like the horseshoe shape which provides a a long shalow area and the migratory bird area next to it.

Rockport is not expensive n- no traffic but I wont say where it is because its supposed to be the Jewel - secret of the Texas Coast which is probably why its not in those top 25 lists.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 697 times
I'm a Georgia native, 33 yr old female. I've Never been to Blue Water. I have seen very large bodies of inland waters, including the Great Lakes, and they all look like our water. I have yet to have the opportunity to explore ANY coastline at any great depth, including my very own Tybee Island. Maybe this can be a goal as I age...explore and enjoy blue water. What a luxury few recognize!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.