Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 05:42 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Again, this is ludicrous. SoCal doesn't stay like that year-round at all, with the exception of a severe-drought year. Firstly, during the rainy season (winter), the hills are lush and green.

Secondly, out East for 3-4 months in winter, everything is dead-looking. No greenery anywhere, besides pine trees and a few bushes. Out West, palm trees, pine trees, grass, and several kinds of bushes and other trees stay green all year round.
My point is, that even though in the East everything looks brown and dead, it's still worth surviving through the winter to see the best possible greenery that the U.S. has to offer during the summer. Summer greenery in the east is better than any greenery anywhere else in the U.S. at any point in time during the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 07:46 PM

251 posts, read 307,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I absolutely disagree. Minneapolis is a great city. I can say the same about Kansas City, in my opinion one of the best locations for people who enjoy good food, especially barbecue.

I just recently visited Indianapolis and Downtown Indy is gorgeous, overall a very clean and modern city.

I could go on and on about the beautiful nature you see in places like the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and Northern Minnesota.

Finally, one of my favorite states to drive through and appreciate some very interesting nature and some very unique manifestations of true Americana is South Dakota.

Gorgeous nature, some very interesting ghost towns and home to some very important historical places like the Wounded Knee Site on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, one of the most interesting places I have ever visited in the United States.

Ive been to every spot you have mentioned and yeah, Minneapolis is a great city, and I love hockey so that could be related, but again, I still wouldn't go outta my way to move to the region.

I have no reason to take myself away from the two coasts, because thats where everything is.

Midwest isn't all flat by any means, but it still pales in comparison to the Coasts geographically speaking, although I do love Chicago's lakefront and lakewater.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:23 PM

545 posts, read 1,100,993 times
"It has three world class cities. New York, Philadelphia and Boston. And they're all easily drivable (or passenger trained) between each other. And they are truly world class, global cities that have a unique feel to each, with tons of American history, culture and unbelievable architecture."

lol aren't you forgetting something... WASHINGTON DC. dc ranks above both boston and philly in terms of global, world class cities. in fact, DC is our fourth most global city behind NYC, LA, and Chicago.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:38 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,663,100 times
Yeah I can't get over how drab California is.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:44 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,663,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
"It has three world class cities. New York, Philadelphia and Boston. And they're all easily drivable (or passenger trained) between each other. And they are truly world class, global cities that have a unique feel to each, with tons of American history, culture and unbelievable architecture."

lol aren't you forgetting something... WASHINGTON DC. dc ranks above both boston and philly in terms of global, world class cities. in fact, DC is our fourth most global city behind NYC, LA, and Chicago.
I would say San Francisco is more "global" than DC.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:04 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
The thing is, California and other Western streets have four seasons. It's not like they don't exist out here. BTW, I'm not directing this towards you.

And since lots of people automatically think of Los Angeles when they think of California, there are four seasons here. The weather changes in the spring, summer, autumn, and winter.
I think you may be confusing "weather changes" with "fashion changes?" Though I suppose there is that month or so in Dec-January when it cools down a bit and the rain spritzes sometimes.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:14 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I think you may be confusing "weather changes" with "fashion changes?" Though I suppose there is that month or so in Dec-January when it cools down a bit and the rain spritzes sometimes.
No, I'm not.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:46 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Today it was 75 degrees out and I went for a drive with the top down, then I went for a hike and watched the sunset on the beach. If I want world class snow I can get to it in a couple hour drive (snow that beats anything in the East). Screw having "four seasons" I'll take coastal California.
Is it whiter than snow in the east? Does it look more attractive on an evergreen bough--make better snowballs?

Old 01-09-2015, 12:51 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
I know one main reason to me is every time I see my daughter

like everything a best place to reside is personal - there is not all-incluive right or wrong answer except to an individual

Old 01-09-2015, 12:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm not saying it's BROWN like Arizona or Nevada. It's mixed green and brown. There is plenty of vegetation, BUT it's not in the same league as the east coast, which has virtually no brown.
Dude, just... stop. Stop. Youre so clueless about the west coast and SW, that its scary. I really, truly, doubt youve even been out here. If you think all of AZ is "brown", it showcases your ignorance. There are plenty of green areas in AZ, even National Forests!

http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioima...yon-mke055.jpg

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/K...est-AZ-013.JPG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.