Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:12 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,023,319 times

Advertisements

What are the best cities for professional african americans to live in?

The cities would have to be integrated, racially diverse and accepting, have a vast amount of african americans in the middle, upper middle class and possess a strong job economy.
So far I know Houston TX, Dallas Tx, Columbus OH, Jackonsonville fla, Atlanta GA, Washington D.C, Raleigh N.C., Chicago IL, and Memphis TN are on that list is there any others?

I know 1 city thats not on that list and thats pittsburgh pa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 07:40 PM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
Is Jacksonville up there? As for Pittsburgh, what about parts of the East Side and some of the Eastern suburbs? Nashville may be up there. To be honest, you can find your criteria to some degree in any metro with at least a notable amount of diversity/Black people. I will say and may have to review this, but the Ithaca NY metro may have the highest percentage of Blacks(25 and older) with a Bachelors Degree or higher.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,982,483 times
If I see one more of these threads. African Americans can prosper in any city they want to. I live in Phoenix which isn't the blackest city in the country but there are quite a few black professionals/yuppie types here doing well. Theres also a strong black professional network in the Phoenix area. Of course you can't beat cities like Atlanta, DC, and Chicago as having a decent black professional population. There is no "Best City" for African American professionals. It's all about your career field and what you want out of a city.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
If I see one more of these threads. African Americans can prosper in any city they want to. I live in Phoenix which isn't the blackest city in the country but there are quite a few black professionals/yuppie types here doing well. Theres also a strong black professional network in the Phoenix area. Of course you can't beat cities like Atlanta, DC, and Chicago as having a decent black professional population. There is no "Best City" for African American professionals. It's all about your career field and what you want out of a city.
yeah..right..

Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is Jacksonville up there? As for Pittsburgh, what about parts of the East Side and some of the Eastern suburbs? Nashville may be up there. To be honest, you can find your criteria to some degree in any metro with at least a notable amount of diversity/Black people. I will say and may have to review this, but the Ithaca NY metro may have the highest percentage of Blacks(25 and older) with a Bachelors Degree or higher.
Yeah I considered jackonsville fla I will be sending out resumes to them tonight

Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 PM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Yeah I considered jackonsville fla I will be sending out resumes to them tonight
Does it fit the criteria?

Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 PM

37,902 posts, read 42,048,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
The cities would have to be integrated, racially diverse and accepting, have a vast amount of african americans in the middle, upper middle class and possess a strong job economy.
So far I know Houston TX, Dallas Tx, Columbus OH, Jackonsonville fla, Atlanta GA, Washington D.C, Raleigh N.C., Chicago IL, and Memphis TN are on that list is there any others?

The main thing is that it will depend on your career field. While I certainly recognize the value of living in a city with an abundance of cultural amenities that cater to Blacks, it should also be realized that Blacks are dispersing a bit more beyond the traditional "best cities for Blacks."

Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 PM

130 posts, read 290,963 times
Detroit

Jk

I think the west coast is the best place for african americans since its very diverse. 1. Seattle 2. SoCal

Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,916,865 times
Everywhere

Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Does it fit the criteria?
From the information I have gathered on thee other site it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.