Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 06:21 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
To diversify the workforce. There was a campaign initiated last year called DiverseCity....It is a website dedicated to putting the word out about the new Pittsburgh and what it offers today as oppose to yesteryear.
Pittsburgh? I don't think that place should really be in this conversation.

"If I get off the plane in a place like Charlotte, it's so diverse: black, white, Indian, Asian," he said. "Whenever I come back home and land, I say to myself: 'Wow, it's so white.' It is very startling and in your face."...Pittsburgh City Councilman R. Daniel Lavelle

from...

African Americans in Pittsburgh: The newcomer experience
The results encompass racism, opportunity and the desire for a larger middle class
by Ben Schmitt // Winter 2013
African Americans in Pittsburgh: The newcomer experience | Regional Indicators | BUSINESS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 07:27 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Pittsburgh? I don't think that place should really be in this conversation.

"If I get off the plane in a place like Charlotte, it's so diverse: black, white, Indian, Asian," he said. "Whenever I come back home and land, I say to myself: 'Wow, it's so white.' It is very startling and in your face."...Pittsburgh City Councilman R. Daniel Lavelle

from...

African Americans in Pittsburgh: The newcomer experience
The results encompass racism, opportunity and the desire for a larger middle class
by Ben Schmitt // Winter 2013
African Americans in Pittsburgh: The newcomer experience | Regional Indicators | BUSINESS
Interesting article, but you can see that all of the people mentioned the potential for hungry Black folks to do big things there and I feel that way about other Rust Belt cities and areas. While they have their issues, many, if not all still have a Black middle class to a degree. I was a bit surprised about the mention of not having a mostly Black middle class neighborhood or that you can't find a nice, middle class suburb with diversity. I thought that Monroeville was a middle class suburb with diversity, along with parts of the Woodland Hills and Penn Hills school districts would fit too. Even in Upstate NY metros like Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany you can find both of those things.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,418 times
Maybe Southern California.....................Please do not come to San Francisco, Oakland, Palo Alto, etc. They have no regards for progressing African Americans.

Your best bet is Atlanta, GA, Washington DC, Even Alabama.............. Its amazing how all of the jobs in the Bay area of San Fran are going to everyone except African Americans............I have called CNN ........Cameras don't lie.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:07 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by African American Educated View Post
Maybe Southern California.....................Please do not come to San Francisco, Oakland, Palo Alto, etc. They have no regards for progressing African Americans.

Your best bet is Atlanta, GA, Washington DC, Even Alabama.............. Its amazing how all of the jobs in the Bay area of San Fran are going to everyone except African Americans............I have called CNN ........Cameras don't lie.
They?

Old 04-05-2013, 02:07 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting article, but you can see that all of the people mentioned the potential for hungry Black folks to do big things there and I feel that way about other Rust Belt cities and areas. While they have their issues, many, if not all still have a Black middle class to a degree. I was a bit surprised about the mention of not having a mostly Black middle class neighborhood or that you can't find a nice, middle class suburb with diversity. I thought that Monroeville was a middle class suburb with diversity, along with parts of the Woodland Hills and Penn Hills school districts would fit too. Even in Upstate NY metros like Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany you can find both of those things.
Anybody who says that there's no black middle class in Pittsburgh is an idiot. No, it's not Atlanta, Washington DC, Philadelphia, or even Baltimore, but it does exist nonetheless, primarily in some of the city's East End neighborhoods and the eastern suburbs.

Monroeville demographics

79.5% white
12.6% black
6.1% Asian
2.3% multiracial
1.5% Hispanic

Median household income: $53,840
Percent of residents in poverty: 7.2%

Churchill demographics

81.9% white
13.8% black
2.7% Asian
1.2% multiracial
1.8% Hispanic

Median household income: $79,945
Percent of residents in poverty: 4.1%

Edgewood demographics

85.1% white
9.3% black
2.6% Asian
2.1% multiracial
2.7% Hispanic

Median household income: $56,165
Percent of residents in poverty: 9.3%

Forest Hills demographics

87.7% white
9.1% black
1.2% Asian
1.5% multiracial
1.3% Hispanic

Median household income: $52,350
Percent of residents in poverty: 6.6%

Penn Hills demographics

61.4% white
34.6% black
0.8% Asian
2.5% multiracial
1.4% Hispanic

Median household income: $44,340
Percent of residents in poverty: 10.5%

Wilkins Township demographics

83.7% white
11.8% black
2.1% Asian
1.7% multiracial
1.3% Hispanic

Median household income: $44,402
Percent of residents in poverty: 8.3%

These are all suburbs of Pittsburgh with a black middle-class presence. Penn Hills has dealt with "white flight" and subsequent ghettoization in some areas, but the rest of them are stable. Neighborhoods in the city's East End that have a noticeable black middle class include East Liberty, Highland Park, Morningside, Stanton Heights and Point Breeze. On the North Side, the neighborhoods are Brighton Heights, Manchester, Allegheny West and the Central North Side.

Truth is, any place east of the Mississippi River with jagged terrain has never been heavily settled by blacks. For as much of a "black Mecca" as Atlanta is, and despite all the blacks moving back to the South, you'll barely find any in the north Georgia mountains. It's also worth noting that the Knoxville, TN metropolitan area is even whiter than Pittsburgh. Nobody laughs at Knoxville for it, though, or labels it "unwelcoming" or "racist."

It's time that people stop pretending that places that lag in "diversity" are necessarily unwelcoming or intolerant. What matters most is opportunity. What also helps is whether or not a place has become a magnet for Asians and Hispanics since immigration laws were liberalized in the 1960's. What seriously hurt Pittsburgh was that this happened just in time for the economy to go to **** for two decades.

In terms of economic push/pull factors, there was a hard push out of Pittsburgh during the 1970's and 1980's. If the people who already lived there had to leave in large numbers, then there was no reason for people who didn't already live there to even bother. The push ended by the early 1990's, but the pull hadn't begun until the late 1990's. This delayed Pittsburgh's diversification by a good 20 to 30 years. (It also accelerated Pittsburgh's age profile by about 20 to 30 years, but that's another topic altogether.)

And yet, despite all those factors working against it for a generation, the Pittsburgh area has begun to diversify. The black population increased between 2000 and 2010, which is more than can be said for several other major metropolitan areas nearby. And most people are probably unaware that Pittsburgh now has two suburbs with populations that are at least 10% Asian, and 11 suburbs with populations that are at least 5% Asian. (The city of Pittsburgh itself will soon cross the 5% threshold as well.)

Lastly, the Pittsburgh metropolitan area skews whiter because of its outlying counties. Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Washington and Westmoreland Counties are all over 90% white. Allegheny County alone accounts for almost all the diversity, and it's also where most of the diversification is happening. And when you consider that the population growth in the metropolitan area has been more than entirely driven by growth in Allegheny County while the other six counties combined have lost population (Butler and Washington grew; Armstrong, Beaver, Fayette and Westmoreland lost), it's reasonable to forecast that this will have a noticeable effect on the demographics of the metropolitan area by 2020.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:55 PM

85 posts, read 318,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by African American Educated View Post

Yet another suggesting we all hole ourselves up in either Atlanta or DC......if only I had a dime.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:43 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
What are the best cities for professional african americans to live in?

The cities would have to be integrated, racially diverse and accepting, have a vast amount of african americans in the middle, upper middle class and possess a strong job economy.
So far I know Houston TX, Dallas Tx, Columbus OH, Jackonsonville fla, Atlanta GA, Washington D.C, Raleigh N.C., Chicago IL, and Memphis TN are on that list is there any others?

I know 1 city thats not on that list and thats pittsburgh pa.
Carmel, Indiana and Indianapolis made the #1 spot for CNN Money magazines article for best places to live.
Carmel, IN - Best Places to Live - Money Magazine
If you cant afford to live in Carmel than Fishers and Westfield are 2 close alternatives. All of these areas are within a 30 minute drive of Downtown Indianapolis.
Carmel is more affordable though than similar Suburbs in other major US cities.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:44 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Carmel, Indiana and Indianapolis made the #1 spot for CNN Money magazines article for best places to live.
Carmel, IN - Best Places to Live - Money Magazine
If you cant afford to live in Carmel than Fishers and Westfield are 2 close alternatives. All of these areas are within a 30 minute drive of Downtown Indianapolis.
Carmel is more affordable though than similar Suburbs in other major US cities.
Yeah, but the OP asked for integrated and racially diverse. Carmel is just 2.9% African American and Fishers is 5.5% African American. While nice, these towns don't meet the OP's criteria.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:47 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
Atlanta, DC Hands Down...my opinion

Old 04-06-2013, 11:52 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
If I see one more of these threads. African Americans can prosper in any city they want to. I live in Phoenix which isn't the blackest city in the country but there are quite a few black professionals/yuppie types here doing well. Theres also a strong black professional network in the Phoenix area. Of course you can't beat cities like Atlanta, DC, and Chicago as having a decent black professional population. There is no "Best City" for African American professionals. It's all about your career field and what you want out of a city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
yeah..right..

With this attitude regarding the above post it would not surprise me at all if you did NOT succeed anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.