U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2007, 09:39 PM
 
143 posts, read 788,581 times
Reputation: 87

Advertisements

May's BLACK ENTERPRISE Reveals the Top Places to Live, Work, and Play

Moderator cut: Removed copyrighted material
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4566573&EDATE=
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2007, 09:52 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,769,815 times
Reputation: 510
X Raleigh-Durham because there's not enough to do.

X Washington, D.C. because it is not a real city, and I found it dull.

So to me, that leaves Atlanta at number one, because it's the cornerstone for Black mainstream culture, and Houston because it's the biggest and sits amongst the roots of Black culture. Plus, there is where you will see some of the best dressed Blacks around lol.

I'm surprised New York didn't make the top four. That city is great for Blacks or anybody for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 11:52 PM
 
1,604 posts, read 3,503,434 times
Reputation: 1526
Not to rebut the status, but even though I've heard good things about most of those cities, is this poll considering the best place for blacks to live based on the activities within the internal black community, or based on the treatment, integration, and acceptance of blacks by other races?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2007, 11:55 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,769,815 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Not to rebut the status, but even though I've heard good things about most of those cities, is this poll considering the best place for blacks to live based on the activities within the internal black community, or based on the treatment, integration, and acceptance of blacks by other races?
That's a good question. Because if it was based on the activities, several of these cities would not be on the list, and others would have made it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2007, 01:48 PM
 
7,968 posts, read 18,087,474 times
Reputation: 2593
From reading the original post, it looks like the rankings were based on things the magazine thought would indicate better chances of financial success for African-Americans. Although I've enjoyed my visits to places like Columbus and Indy, somehow I don't see them as social meccas for blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2007, 01:56 PM
 
7,968 posts, read 18,087,474 times
Reputation: 2593
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
X Raleigh-Durham because there's not enough to do.

X Washington, D.C. because it is not a real city, and I found it dull.

So to me, that leaves Atlanta at number one, because it's the cornerstone for Black mainstream culture, and Houston because it's the biggest and sits amongst the roots of Black culture. Plus, there is where you will see some of the best dressed Blacks around lol.

I'm surprised New York didn't make the top four. That city is great for Blacks or anybody for that matter.
Even though I've been a DC-area resident for less than two years, I have to dispute your comment about the city.

Granted, if you're looking for exclusively Afrocentric activities, one might get tired of going to the U Street area eventually. And even that area has more diverse offerings these days (not that it's a bad thing). Otherwise, I believe there's lots of things to do in DC and immediate suburbs like Arlington, Bethesda, Alexandria and Silver Spring. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, however. It's certainly possible that we have different interests... or that you have experience in even larger cities. (FWIW, I'm a Philadelphia-area native.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2007, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,488 posts, read 16,161,688 times
Reputation: 5637
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
X Raleigh-Durham because there's not enough to do.

X Washington, D.C. because it is not a real city, and I found it dull.

So to me, that leaves Atlanta at number one, because it's the cornerstone for Black mainstream culture, and Houston because it's the biggest and sits amongst the roots of Black culture. Plus, there is where you will see some of the best dressed Blacks around lol.

I'm surprised New York didn't make the top four. That city is great for Blacks or anybody for that matter.
I don't know how the heck Atlanta is more of a "real city" than DC. Houston may be the largest in terms of within city limits population (HOU annexed a lot of its burbs), but DC and Dallas are the largest metropolitan areas on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2007, 02:33 PM
 
3,042 posts, read 8,091,015 times
Reputation: 1154
hmmm, DC dull? I can say alot about DC but dull isnt one of them. The museums, the restaurants, the shopping, the sports, the location. Maybe i am missing something. I thought Philly was dull but i have to admit there are things to do here and in DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2007, 02:41 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,769,815 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Even though I've been a DC-area resident for less than two years, I have to dispute your comment about the city.

Granted, if you're looking for exclusively Afrocentric activities, one might get tired of going to the U Street area eventually. And even that area has more diverse offerings these days (not that it's a bad thing). Otherwise, I believe there's lots of things to do in DC and immediate suburbs like Arlington, Bethesda, Alexandria and Silver Spring. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, however. It's certainly possible that we have different interests... or that you have experience in even larger cities. (FWIW, I'm a Philadelphia-area native.)
Honestly, I didn't get too much time in D.C., but the time I was there, I wasn't really into it. But who knows? I may have missed out on some good things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2007, 02:48 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,769,815 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I don't know how the heck Atlanta is more of a "real city" than DC. Houston may be the largest in terms of within city limits population (HOU annexed a lot of its burbs), but DC and Dallas are the largest metropolitan areas on the list.
Well D.C., to me, is not a real city because of the district and it feels too "federal."...to me

Dallas' metro is only so large because it includes an entire other major city, so it hardly counts. I don't know much about D.C. And metro areas don't qualify to me anyway since suburbs are pretty much residential, and even if it did, Houston's suburbs are top ranking. And I don't mean big, as in population. Dallas and D.C. are big, but HOU is big as in New York or Chicago big. With lots more to do and a bigger lifestyle. Houston is one of the big four.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top