Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 01:56 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
Not necessarily so Portlander. It is far more common to find people originally from New York in Arizona than it is to find people from Texas in Arizona. Don't know why so many people have such a strong desire to lump Arizona in with Texas. They are far more different than they are alike.
I find the general culture in Arizona to be similar to Texas (NOT the transplant culture), with all it's Mexican food, Steakhouses, country music festivals, and other cowboy and redneck paraphanilia.
Also my mother is from Texas and I lived there for three years. I've also driven through Arizona many times going to Texas. I feel like I should know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 01:59 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
My suspicions are correct. Many boil it down to politics. I'll give you some differences. Texas was originally settled by southerners. Arizona was settled for the most part by midwesterners and easterners. Yes Hip there were some southerners but there were also southerners that settled in California and other western states. But the Northern influence was much stronger much earlier in Arizona than it was in Texas. Texas is much more socially conservative than Arizona. Arizona is more fiscally conservative and socially libertarian. The social conservatism that does exist in Arizona is LDS influenced just like other western states and not evangelival influenced like Texas and other Southern states. In other words Arizona is not in the bible belt and much of Texas is. You could argue that Tucson is somewhat similar to El Paso. However I would say that a place like Scottsdale, AZ has FAR FAR more in common culturally with Orange County than it does with a place like San Antonio, TX. Not even close. Also I've been to places in West Texas like Lubbock and Amarillo and they are not like any cities in Arizona. I felt a major culture shock.
Basically, you're not a fan of Texas, lol. The voting patterns of Arizona and Texas are awfully similar to each other in the last couple of elections, moreso than Arizona and the states on the pacfic coast

And A gun loving Texan would love or feel right at home with Arizona's lax gun laws. Especially compared to how strict the gun laws are in the Northern and other West Coast states. Arizona has one of the laxest gun laws in the country just like Texas..

And you didn't mention the large Hispanic populations(both over 30%) in both states. Texans just like Arizonians love them some Mexican Food/Tex-Mex. I don't see much Brats or Bagels in Phoenix or Tuscon, lol

I could find more similarities between Texas and Arizona, than even between Arizona and Utah. Now those two states have seperate histories.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:23 AM

353 posts, read 656,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Basically, you're not a fan of Texas, lol. The voting patterns of Arizona and Texas are awfully similar to each other in the last couple of elections, moreso than Arizona and the states on the pacfic coast

And A gun loving Texan would love or feel right at home with Arizona's lax gun laws. Especially compared to how strict the gun laws are in the Northern and other West Coast states. Arizona has one of the laxest gun laws in the country just like Texas..

And you didn't mention the large Hispanic populations(both over 30%) in both states. Texans just like Arizonians love them some Mexican Food/Tex-Mex. I don't see much Brats or Bagels in Phoenix or Tuscon, lol

I could find more similarities between Texas and Arizona, than even between Arizona and Utah. Now those two states have seperate histories.
You've totally lost me. I don't know where to begin. First of all have you spent any significant time in Arizona? Because it sounds like you haven't. Yes Arizonans are against gun laws even though many like myself are for an assault weapons ban. In the same vein Arizonans approved medical marijuana. Again it's the libertarian streak. Yes we love our Mexican food but it's Sonoran not Tex-Mex. Big difference. Brats and Bagels? Are you freaking kidding me? With the major influx of upper midwesterners do you honestly think we haven't been exposed to brats? I grill them often at tailgates at ASU games. We are in the Pac 12 you know but I guess you think we belong in the Big 12. Bagels? Please. Jewish transplants from the east coast brought them to Arizona decades ago. I'm sorry but grits and fried oppossum are not a staple of the Arizona diet as you might want to believe. The last one I just can't wrap my head around. Of course Utah and Arizona are different. One difference is they voted far more republican in the last election than Arizona did. However I would have to say Arizona has infinitely more in common with Utah than it does Texas. Go to Mesa, AZ. Outside of SLC it has probably the highest concentration of mormons in America. How are Texas and Arizona remotely tied together? Settled by different groups, fairly geographically isolated from each other, and relatively little crossover. Do you seriously believe people in Phoenix and Tucson have more connections to Texas cities than they do So Cal, Vegas, and the rest of the West? Seriously? I'll go you one up. Personally I relate more to people in the PNW in cities like Seattle and Portland than I do with with people from Dallas or Houston. Again, not even close.

Last edited by LAX-PHX; 04-13-2013 at 02:39 AM..

Old 04-13-2013, 02:54 AM

353 posts, read 656,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I find the general culture in Arizona to be similar to Texas (NOT the transplant culture), with all it's Mexican food, Steakhouses, country music festivals, and other cowboy and redneck paraphanilia.
Also my mother is from Texas and I lived there for three years. I've also driven through Arizona many times going to Texas. I feel like I should know that.
Define redneck paraphanilia. Also what parts of Arizona are we talking about? Many rural towns in Arizona and other western states might qualify as redneck but are you talking about. Phoenix? I was born and raised in the Phoenix metro area and spent my summers in Southern California. The high school I went to in the Phoenix area was like Fast Times at Ridgemont High not Friday Night Lights. Nobody listened to country music or was a redneck. And for the record Arizona is and has always been transplants. It's not like Texas. Arizona was not settled by a bunch of southern rednecks and only recently had an influx of transplants. The first settlers were the same types of people that settled the other states in the west. Arizona is not some weird little Southern outlier.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:06 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Think of a straight line between San Francisco and Virginia Beach.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:34 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Well the Western States were part of the Union weren't they? That should settle the issue.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:58 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Think of a straight line between San Francisco and Virginia Beach.
What for?

Old 04-13-2013, 11:00 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
What for?
To divide North and South.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
The North and South don't apply west of the Great Plains states. The culture of both completely dies out. I would probably as a whole call all of the West's culture more Northern than Southern.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:13 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Being out West, I feel completely indifferent to the North and South divide back east. I honestly do not give a flying turd about the provincial ways of the South what so ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.