Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:11 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,173,907 times

Advertisements

^
heh..yes...third from right on that cartoon..the old timey string band kind of hipster. I recall seeing that subtype around (sort of a musical sartorial style, with bands)...but also in cycling, with that "tweed ride" subculture. Fourth and Fifth are the 'Beardos" (a pun on wierdo), which I have seen in Louisville.

Hipsters in Dayton.

This would be such an obvious adopted-from-outside "me-too" , "copycat" style here that no one who is really hipster (as being in ironic and knowing) would really ape the look tooo much, too much "trying to be cool" (and therefore failing)

...which brings up a good question of the transmission & reception/adoption of cultural style from "the metropolis" (eg NYC, California, etc) to the provinces (eg Ohio).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 11:18 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,305,223 times
They are just people that like creativity. Nothing more or less. People hate because they are too timid and banal to stand out.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:37 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times
My guess is that most posters on City-Data fit the hipster demographic, even though most wouldn't describe themselves as that. You are a hipster if you meet the following criteria.

1. Under 30
2. Prefer walkable, urban environments: anti-automobile
3. High appreciation for the arts
4. High appreciation for foreign culture
5. Politically very liberal; strong activism for the environment, legal cannabis, and animal rights
6. Against organized religion
7. Prefers independent music and movies to mainstream
8. Prefers locally-made craft beers or Pabst Blue Ribbon
9. Little tolerance for suburbia or mainstream suburban "cookie cutter" culture
10. Against "preppy" clothing; true hipsters wear hand me downs but many of the name brands are now marketing hipster-style clothing because of its popularity

Old 04-30-2013, 12:20 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,093 times
Say what you want to about hipsters, but I don't see the problem with them. I actually enjoy hanging out in hipstery areas and establishments because they're interesting and the people are nice. (And no, I'm not a hipster. I'm in law school and wear polos and Sperry's). I guess the definition of "gentrification" might be different in the Northeast, but in St. Louis and elsewhere in the Midwest the hipsters have moved in to neighborhoods that were barely clinging to life and have turned them into vibrant, middle class areas. I don't really see anything wrong with a new generation of people who prefer local goods and urban environments rather than chain stores and suburban wasteland. What's the issue?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Say what you want to about hipsters, but I don't see the problem with them. I actually enjoy hanging out in hipstery areas and establishments because they're interesting and the people are nice. (And no, I'm not a hipster. I'm in law school and wear polos and Sperry's). I guess the definition of "gentrification" might be different in the Northeast, but in St. Louis and elsewhere in the Midwest the hipsters have moved in to neighborhoods that were barely clinging to life and have turned them into vibrant, middle class areas. I don't really see anything wrong with a new generation of people who prefer local goods and urban environments rather than chain stores and suburban wasteland. What's the issue?
There isn't an issue other than elitism. Hipsters think they are a higher class of society than their suburban counterparts. When it comes down to it, its a matter of preference. I too think hipsters do a lot of good for inner-city communities. Most of the things people seek on this board are only available in many places because of hipsters. However, I think a great metro area will also have attractive suburbs and there is nothing wrong with living in a culdesac and driving an SUV. One is not less-sophisticated if they find foreign films boring or prefer mainstream American lager to PBR. It's a matter of choice.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:01 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,004,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
They are just people that like creativity. Nothing more or less. People hate because they are too timid and banal to stand out.
Oh Please stop.
They essentially steal and copy from every previous cool generation without contributing anything new.

I noticed the beginning of this behavior when I was in Art School 20-something years ago. The untalented poseurs were nothing but leaches taking all and offering nothing except condescension.

While I played in a punk rock band, I did not have to look and act like a total dick to get my point across.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
I find this to be the most ironic thing about being a hipster. They all act like they are so unique yet they are all the same. At least some aspects of hipster culture have become very mainstream and even the norm for 18-29 year old Americans.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:24 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,634 times
Most of the hipsters I have met seem to come from the exurbs. Drive out to the exurbs, and the under 30 crowd suddenly looks the same as the hipster crowd.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
I live in what is considered a hipster capital of America. People have varying definitions of what hipsters are. I think, as in every generation, some young people will dress a certain way, behave a certain way and live a certain way in order to conform to what they perceive as non-conformity and call themselves "hipsters." But in the end they all pretty much wind up acting, looking and sounding the same until the next new thing comes along.

There are true genuine artists, musicians, writers and intellectuals. There always will be. These are the people who do not have to dress a certain way or live in a certain area to prove who they are. They don't have to call themselves anything to identify themselves. These are not hipsters. These are just people with talent.

If you have to dress or act a certain way to get attention to make people think you are something, you usually are not.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:40 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
My guess is that most posters on City-Data fit the hipster demographic, even though most wouldn't describe themselves as that. You are a hipster if you meet the following criteria.

1. Under 30
2. Prefer walkable, urban environments: anti-automobile
3. High appreciation for the arts
4. High appreciation for foreign culture
5. Politically very liberal; strong activism for the environment, legal cannabis, and animal rights
6. Against organized religion
7. Prefers independent music and movies to mainstream
8. Prefers locally-made craft beers or Pabst Blue Ribbon
9. Little tolerance for suburbia or mainstream suburban "cookie cutter" culture
10. Against "preppy" clothing; true hipsters wear hand me downs but many of the name brands are now marketing hipster-style clothing because of its popularity
This is the problem with the "hipster" label. It's too broad a label in the way that people like you like to (over)use it.

There's always been an liberal urban segment of the population who is more interested in the arts or foreign movies and so on. This is not anything new--and that doesn't make one a "hipster". Microbrews were started by hippies and beer geeks into reviving traditional beer starting back in the 1980s--not a bunch of bored hipsters more into style than really producing anything. People in cities like New York and San Francisco have been eshewing cars in favor of taking public transit or walking for years. There's always been independent music scenes in a lot of US cities--hipsters didn't invent that either.

When the word hipster first got revived for popular usage around the start of the 2000s, it had a sort of specific group that it referred to. Namely the younger demographic that was moving into places like Williamsburg, Brooklyn or Silver Lake, Los Angeles that was focused on a sort of trashy-retro affectation for late 70s/early 80s culture and music. They were a different and younger group a little more focused on style and maybe a little more materialistic(and doing more blow) than the 90s Gen X demographic(whose indie rock tended to be more rooted in punk rock and irony and the 80s/90s alternative music genres). The new kids sort of had a definable look as well that ripped off a lot of the late 70s/80s for inspiration that basically got sold out to the suburbs via Urban Outfitters years later.

Flash forward over a decade however, and we're still complaining about hipsters. Only now for some people it apparenlty refers to anyone under the age of 35 in a city who isn't wearing Dockers. See that guy on a bike with a beard--he's a hipster. See the hippy girl with the guitar--well now she's a hipster. See that punk rock kid--they're now a hipster also. See the hiphop kids wearing tight jeans and throwback Nikes--they're now hipsters as well. See the yuppies waiting in line at Momofuku--they're all hipsters too.

Hipsters, hipsters, hipsters--for chrisakes just learn some new words already...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.