Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times

Advertisements

I think what Kentuckians feel may a bit like what South Louisianians feel...we're Southern but our culture is different from Georgia, Bama, Mississippi, and even North Louisiana...so we're in the box and outside the box at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 06:46 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Kentucky is every bit of southern as the "deep south".

Living in Georgia, I have always felt that Kentucky seems very southern. Exceptions include out near Paducah, Kentucky, as well as locations near the Ohio River, such as Ashland or around Cincinnati. However, Lexington, Bowling Green, Corbin, Elizabethtown and parts of the Louisville area: Southern.

Kentucky is southern.

By the way, for Georgia Frog, he lives in Rome, Georgia, which topographically and culturally is not the deep south, but is more like the Tennessee Valley than anything. It's practically the same as southeast Tennessee. Northwest Georgia, including the counties of Dade, Catoosa, Walker, Murray, Whitfield, Gordon, Chatooga, Floyd, Polk, and parts of Bartow are very different from the rest of the state. That part of the state seems much more similar to Tennessee and northern Alabama, while the rest of the state is more like the Carolinas, Florida, or central Alabama.
I'm not sure why you mentioned Paducah not being southern. It is in the Jackson Purchase, which is the most culturally southern part of the state. It is the only part of Kentucky that had a cotton growing plantation culture that mirrored the deep south. It is also one of the few Kentucky towns that has a significant African American population (25% of a town of about 25,000). Don't let the Ohio River fool you, Paducah is very southern. The same goes for the tiny town of Wickliffe. Even though it is on the Ohio, you can immediately tell you have entered the south when you cross over from Illinois. Fulton, Murray, and Mayfield are very southern as well. There is an area in the Purchase that feels like the midwest, but it doesn't include any sizable towns so I'm not sure how to describe where it really is. It is between Mayfield and Wickliffe.

Last edited by GunnerTHB; 05-02-2013 at 06:55 AM..

Old 05-02-2013, 07:11 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think what Kentuckians feel may a bit like what South Louisianians feel...we're Southern but our culture is different from Georgia, Bama, Mississippi, and even North Louisiana...so we're in the box and outside the box at the same time.
I think all people from the cultural Appalachia have a bit of similarity to the people in southern Louisiana in that the culture is very distinct from other southern cultures. I grew up in southwest Virginia which borders east KY and east TN in a region literally defined as the cultural "heart of Appalachia" and the culture that extends in that area is very southern yet very distinct from what you see in South Georgia or other parts of the Deep South. In my part of the south people are VERY into bluegrass music, tobacco, moonshine, and retaining Appalachian history. Deep South culture is obviously quite a bit different but they both are very southern, IMO.

Regardless of our distinctions I think there's a few things all southerners can all agree on....we've got the best food....the sexiest accents...the best football.....and SWEET TEA, by god!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:15 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Georgia (and the others) have more than simply one culture...there is the coastal region, the Piedmont, the South Georgia agricultural region, and the North Georgia mountains - all very different. So you don't have to feel too outside of the box. Southern culture is already very diverse...Kentucky (and it's subregions) is just another aspect of it.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:15 PM

37 posts, read 82,044 times
In illinois some consider south of Joliet as southern likewise south of Ft Wayne in Indiana. But seriously, i think south of Springfield is what feels like south. That might settle the discussion for Kentucky ;-).

Old 05-02-2013, 12:30 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRoweP View Post
In illinois some consider south of Joliet as southern likewise south of Ft Wayne in Indiana. But seriously, i think south of Springfield is what feels like south. That might settle the discussion for Kentucky ;-).
More like south of Illinois Route 146, which is at roughly the same latitude as Richmond, VA.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:47 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,823 times
The South is a transitional area imo, but I would normally put Kentucky as Southern. Deep South elitists don't want to list it as Southern, but most Kentuckians do self identify as Southern so the state as a whole definitely seems Southern to me (aside from the Cincinnati suburbs).

Old 05-03-2013, 03:02 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRoweP View Post
South of Springfield is not Southern linguistically, demographically, culturally, economically, or politically. I might draw the line of Southern in Illinois south of I-64 if I really feel like being generous. Otherwise, I'd put it south of Carbondale. In terms of strict natural boundaries, the Ohio River is the boundary between south and Midwest. Kentucky lies entirely south of the Ohio River, therefore it's the south. And culturally, historically, linguistically, demographicaly, and politically, the state is also unquestionably southern.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:52 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
I do feel Kentucky is in the south. I'm from the deep south. Crossing the river from Cinncinnati I knew I was back in the south although maybe not the deep south; nevertheless I immediatley noticed the friendly smiling people with southern accents. Ohio, while generally friendly is midwest friendly; more reserved type of friendliness.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:56 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckessee View Post
but I'm curious why those who don't... don't.
Its north of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.