Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 07:18 PM

108 posts, read 159,837 times

Advertisements

Basically I believe I have a claim to US citizenship through my mother who lived in the US for at least 5 years prior to my birth etc etc etc... However, for a portion of time she was living (as a minor) in England where her father was stationed in the Air Force...

So does this time spent in England count as US presence due to her father being deployed to the UK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 07:20 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Yes, I believe it does count.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:29 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Child Citizenship Act of 2000 – Sections 320 and 322 of the Immigration and Nationality Act

Quote:
Section 322: Children Born and Residing Outside of the United States; Conditions for Acquiring Certificate of Citizenship

Another section of the Child Citizenship Act provides that children (biological or adopted) of U.S. citizens who are born and reside abroad, and who do not become U.S. citizens at birth can apply to the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services for a Certificate of Citizenship if the following conditions are met.
  • At least one parent of the child is a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization;
  • The U.S. citizen parent has been physically present in the United States for a total of at least five years, at least two of which are after the age of 14. If the child's U.S. citizen parent cannot meet the physical presence requirement, one of the child's U.S. citizen grandparents can meet it.
  • The child is under the age of eighteen;.
  • The child lives abroad in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent and has been lawfully admitted into the United States as a nonimmigrant.
  • If the child is an orphan, the adoption must be finalized.
Children who acquire citizenship under this new provision do not acquire citizenship automatically. They must apply to the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services for a Certificate of Citizenship by completing form N-600K and remitting the necessary filing fee. The form may be submitted to any field office of the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services and may be obtained by going to www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem and entering N-600K in the search box.
I say 'go for it'. Though the 'child' part might be a problem.

Quote:
A child living abroad is eligible to become a US citizen under Section 322 if s/he
  1. is under the age of 18;

Last edited by Willsson; 05-23-2013 at 08:37 PM..

Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
But I also found this...

https://www.uscitizenship.info/us-ci...Form-N-600.jsp

Quote:
To be eligible for a Certificate of Citizenship, you must be able to claim U.S. citizenship through your parents. You must qualify for one of the below four categories to file Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship.

4. If you are the biological child of a U.S. citizen, were born abroad, and are claiming citizenship by having been born to U.S. citizen parent(s), then you are automatically citizen if:
    • Both of your parents are U.S. citizens and at least of your parents had residence in the United States or one of its outlying possessions before you were born; or
    • One of your parents is a U.S. citizen (the other is neither a U.S. citizen) and he/she had been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for a period of at least five years (this does not have to be consecutive). Two years of this residence must have taken place after the citizen parent was 14 years old.
Good luck...

Old 05-29-2013, 10:07 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
As I recall, the New York Times in 2008 tried to question whether Senator John McCain could be a Presidential candidate -because he was born in the Panama Canal Zone, and they were severely criticized.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:39 AM

108 posts, read 159,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
As I recall, the New York Times in 2008 tried to question whether Senator John McCain could be a Presidential candidate -because he was born in the Panama Canal Zone, and they were severely criticized.
I wouldn't be surprised if those same people who criticized the NY Times were Birthers...

Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,857,622 times
I think I read that article and it wasn't the Times that questioned whether McCain was eligible, but that they were running a story about others who questioned his eligibility.

Either way, there was already a court case that decided McCain's specific circumstances, so he was clearly eligible.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
As a general rule, any person in the USA who is in the armed forces is considered to be a resident of his home state, regardless of where is military duty might send him, inside or outside the USA. For example, if you are from Chicago, and stationed in North Carolina, you can legally drive your Illinois-plated car with your Illinois drivers license anywhere in the USA, as your movement under military orders do not affect your entitlement to legal residence in Illinois. North Carollina does not deem you to be a resident of that state, although you may choose to be a NC resident while stationed there if you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.