Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats absurd! It CAN get humid here, but not too often. We might end up with 3-4 weeks of high humidity at most during the summer, and thats spread out from May until early October and a day or two here and there, not constant. Usually its only a few days, then it cools off and dries out nicely. And 90 degrees here is quite rare (maybe 3-4 days a year like that), and its never been 90 degrees with "full humidity" (I assume you mean 100%). I think the most humidity I ever saw when it was 90 degrees was 45%, which was extremely sticky feeling.
Regarding Chicago's humidity, per the City-Data graph, which I apparently don't have the computer skills to copy (I tried), Chicago's afternoon humidity is on the high end of the national average, and its daytime humidity is in the middle or higher, depending on the month. Ditto Minneapolis. They may not be Savannah, but they're pretty consistently humid.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-06-2007 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 11:14 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
I don't understand your obsession of trying to make st. louis fit in with other northern cities. IT"S NOT NORTHERN. It can be considered in the subtropical climate zone (look it up in wikipedia). It's not a bad thing either! I have family in st. louis like a lot of people in Chicago, and they all say it's super hot in the summer. Everyone knows st. louis is super hot and humid! It's freaking known for that up here...

Why are you trying so hard to combat the stereotypes of stl when they're plain out true?? True, you can look at the stats of averages, but those averages say NOTHING close to what the truth is IMO, and they exclude the heat index of what it really feels like. Everytime I've been down in st. louis, the weatherman was ALWAYS wrong on the high temp, always warmer than the prediction. He says 89, it ends up being 93 with a heat index of 98.

It's been HOT every summer I go down there. EVERY summer and do the float trip things. I've been going down there for almost every year. My judgement is not just based on ONE summer either. I just don't understand your obsession with making st. louis fit into something it's not. Just accept the way your city is!

Btw, ive never talked to someone from st. louis with such a passion of trying to make it "northern" when it clearly isn't. Most of my st. louis friends are proud its a border city and accept and enjoy the fact that its HOT.
Right...stereotypes are true...tell that to the media. It surprises me that St. Louis is known for being super hot in Chicago...Chicagoans must think St. Louis is practically on the Gulf Coast if that is their definition of super hot. I agree our summers are hot, as to super hot, no...that's for places like Phoenix and Houston and Little Rock and Memphis...our summers are usually not as hot as those places. And I thought that I said when you look at the grand scheme of things, St. Louis' summers are about the average of entire nation...they are NOTHING compared to a places further south like Arkansas, which I have been to on multiple occasions during the summer. That's not claiming it's northern at all. The summers here are hot, but not FANTASTICALLY to the degree you are describing. How about you just stop trying to make certain judgements about a city you don't live in year 'round. And I can say for certain our winters are not exactly mild. I never claimed it is Northern, however it is Midwestern. Two different definitions in my book. Subtropical climate ? Now you've got it wrong. St. Louis has a humid continental climate. St. Louis' summers may feel hot to you because you're from an area that doesn't get as hot summers, but you are trying to argue for it having a Southern climate altogether which it does not. IT may not be a Northern one or a Southern one, it's in between. Last summer, temperatures did not start to get really hot by my defintion until around the end of August, when temperatures reached the upper 90s and surpassed 100. Other than that, throughout most of July and June, the temperature ranged from about 80 to 90 degrees. You haven't lived here for 21 consecutive summers. You're an outsider, don't correct a local who follows the weather everyday on his/her observations. If you think a typical day in St. Louis in the summer is between 95 and 100 degrees, think again. Those are for the last few weeks of summer typically. The rest of the time, it is not by any definition "unbearably hot." Summers here as I have said before are moody...we can get anything. It can be 77 degrees here one day, 95 the next. This past summer, June and July temperatures usually did not exceed 90 degrees to my knowledge. My definition of hot is 90 degrees or hotter. If you think a place like Indy rarely experiences something like this, my advice to you is to check again. Every time I have been there during the summer it has been just about as bad as where I live....in August a few years ago when I was there it was in the '90s for a week. What makes your judgement any more accurate than mine? In the meantime, I've got better things to do than argue with somebody who only visits St. Louis and doesn't experience everyday weather here. And the one thing I can say for certain is that winters here are cold by any definition. Our historical snow average is around 20 inches per winter. That's changing because of global warming, but we experience several days with temperatures in the single digits and temperatures in mid-winter are often below freezing (32 degrees fahrenheit). Here's what I will give you. Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Kansas City all have hotter summers than the rest of the Midwest, which to many people further north may be considered SUPER hot, and I agree they can be hot at times, but their summers are still generally not as bad as the places you are comparing St. Louis' summers to. Our summers are no worse than Cincinnati or Kansas City. A place like Indy or Columbus is only slightly better. In fact, if you look Indy up on wikipedia, this a direct quote "Summers are hot and humid, with average high temperatures approaching 90 °F (32 °C), with days approaching or exceeding 100 °F (38 °C) not unheard of." Sounds a lot like St. Louis to me!

Last edited by ajf131; 11-06-2007 at 11:27 AM..

Old 11-06-2007, 11:26 AM

395 posts, read 1,375,391 times
I'm sorry to say this, but in all honesty I pity the city of st. louis because they have city "reps" like you.

In no way was I saying my opinion was greater or more accurate than yours, geez, chill out. I was just making a comparison based on my many years of visiting st. louis...and visiting other cities as well.

Why are you SOOO defensive of your city like that? And the sad thing is, your defenses aren't even making your city more appealing in anyway. I don't want to start a fight or argument over this.

And your point about being humid continental can be either or...it is also in humid subtropical ... Cfa. Shall I post a map for you? Look it up in wikipedia.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:32 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Regarding Chicago's humidity, per the City-Data graph, which I apparently don't have the computer skills to copy (I tried), Chicago's afternoon humidity is on the high end of the national average, and its daytime humidity is in the middle or higher, depending on the month. Ditto Minneapolis. They may not be Savannah, but they're pretty consistently humid.
Blah. You dont feel it here like you do in Memphis, and it doesnt last nearly as long. And besides, its alot cooler here than in the south, and when its cooler, you dont feel the humidity as much. So I guess what Im trying to say is, even though its about average for humidity, the cooler temps make it MUCH more tolerable than Memphis or Miami, etc. 75 degrees with 60% humidity is nice, while 88 degrees and 50% humidity is horrible.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
I'm sorry to say this, but in all honesty I pity the city of st. louis because they have city "reps" like you.

In no way was I saying my opinion was greater or more accurate than yours, geez, chill out. I was just making a comparison based on my many years of visiting st. louis...and visiting other cities as well.

Why are you SOOO defensive of your city like that? And the sad thing is, your defenses aren't even making your city more appealing in anyway. I don't want to start a fight or argument over this.

And your point about being humid continental can be either or...it is also in humid subtropical ... Cfa. Shall I post a map for you? Look it up in wikipedia.
Now you're attempting to be a mind-reader. I'm giving facts, not being defensive. Yes, I see that now...that is the first reading I've come across that groups us as humid subtropical...all the other sources i've read put us in humid continental, and that is fact, not being defensive whatsoever. St. Louis' climate fits the pattern of humid continental because St. Louis has four very distinct seasons. We get real winters, real summers, real springs, and real falls. Yes, summers are hot and humid. But winters are cold and have historical averages of about 20 inches of snow per year. I'm not interested in stretching the truth to try to make my city more appealing. What I see and experience is what I have to offer, and not you or anybody else is going to change my thinking. St. Louis' summers work like this...they go through periods where they feel like Chicago, then they go through periods where they feel like Memphis. So they go either way. June and July are usually pretty tolerable. August is not. Because of this, in no way does it make sense to say that in general our summers are SUPER HOT. My definition of hot is anything above 90 degrees fahrenheit. That is what feels hot to me.

Last edited by ajf131; 11-06-2007 at 11:45 AM..

Old 11-06-2007, 12:14 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
I would think you guys would be comparing KCMO with ST.Louis , and not Chicago..and points north. When we think of Missouri , we think of those two cities mostly.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I would think you guys would be comparing KCMO with ST.Louis , and not Chicago..and points north. When we think of Missouri , we think of those two cities mostly.
I agree. I was never trying to compare St. Louis' climate to Chicago's because they are not the same. Chicago has far more forgiving summers and far less forgiving winters. The major cities that I think compare most to St. Louis' climate are Kansas City, Cincinnati, Louisville, Indianapolis, and Columbus. All of these cities experience each season in its fullest.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:14 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats absurd! It CAN get humid here, but not too often. We might end up with 3-4 weeks of high humidity at most during the summer, and thats spread out from May until early October and a day or two here and there, not constant. Usually its only a few days, then it cools off and dries out nicely. And 90 degrees here is quite rare (maybe 3-4 days a year like that), and its never been 90 degrees with "full humidity" (I assume you mean 100%). I think the most humidity I ever saw when it was 90 degrees was 45%, which was extremely sticky feeling.
Chicago, and most of the Great Lakes region sees very variable summers. It hit 90 in Chicago 19 times this year. First time on May 15, last time September 24.

It has never hit 90 degrees with 100% humdity ANYWHERE in this country. That would indicate a dewpoint temperature of 90 degrees, which has never happened in this country. The highest dewpoints ever recorded in this country were oddly enough in Iowa and Wisconsin, where dewpoint reached the mid-80s during a heatwave where temperatures reached well above 100 degrees.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:51 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
Full humidity was a figure of speech. I was exaggerating to make a point. I know that full humidity doesn't really happen.

Didn't mean to spark such controversy over it.

It's just that I lived in the Great Lakes region for 11 years, and found it to be very hot and sticky during the summer. I've been to Denver a couple times in the summer and found it to be more comfortable. That's all.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:51 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
It seems to me that the correct title would be, "Cities that snow in Winter and aren't blistering hot in the summer." I can't think of any city that has immense summer heat and snowy winters on the regular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.