Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 06:06 PM

3,446 posts, read 3,374,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
However, I really think a huge gulf exists between the Upper Midwest and Lower Midwest in terms of: culture, foods, outdoor activities, diversity, religion, etc.
I grew up in the Lower Midwest, but I just didn't like the general lack of progression and closed-mindedness of many people. Another issue I had with the area was that few people were willing to have intellectual discussions with me. I also hated the intense summer heat. I live in NH now and it seems like people here are quite a bit more intellectual and engaging.
I prefer to live in the relatively reserved, friendly, and generally safe areas of the Upper Midwest and Northern New England.
I would absolutely agree about the culture being different in both subregions, based on my travels to places both in the Upper and Lower Midwest. It's also false to say there isn't culture in the Lower Midwest either, as Bloomington, IN, Saint Louis, Indianapolis(I'll even say Indy is heavily underrated, vs. other Midwest cities), Columbus, and Cincinnati are all examples of what I mean.

The Chicago area is, in a way, an interesting melting pot between both Upper Midwest, and Lower Midwest culture. Why else do Chicagoians(and area residents too) always see license plates from a great variety of other Midwestern states?

Old 07-11-2009, 08:30 AM

284 posts, read 696,309 times
People are jealous of the Midwest cause we have the great lakes and never will go thirsty again. lol jk or was i.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:19 AM

318 posts, read 321,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnasi View Post
People are jealous of the Midwest cause we have the great lakes and never will go thirsty again. lol jk or was i.
People dislike Midwest because it is pretentious and pompous. Even your claim is exaggerated as you are not the only region with access to Great Lakes and not the only region with access to fresh water.
You boast being down to earth yet tend to make absurd pompous claims. People also tend to think about Midwest as synonymous with boring, anal, rural, small minded and opinionated mindset.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:31 AM

306 posts, read 476,049 times
Hmm I mean, I from Minnesota. More importantly Minneapolis. We have our own accent, we have weird politics from Franken and Jessie to a bunch of Protestants electing the first Black Muslim Congressman. And also having the highest turnout for the 08 election. The TC has the best Public Radio, has a great music scene, and plenty of sports teams. Second most theater seats per capita next to New York. We are quite progressive as well. Idk about the rest of the Midwest, or even Minnesota, but where I am from is very unique.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:32 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
People dislike Midwest because it is pretentious and pompous. Even your claim is exaggerated as you are not the only region with access to Great Lakes and not the only region with access to fresh water.
You boast being down to earth yet tend to make absurd pompous claims. People also tend to think about Midwest as synonymous with boring, anal, rural, small minded and opinionated mindset.
Wow, what a strange view...

my perception is pretty much opposite of that.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:33 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
What other region has access to the Great Lakes? As far as I know, they are located within the Midwest and not the Northeast, West, etc.... If you mean Canada, guess again that they will let some other area have access to the water. And you are right other areas do have access to freshwater, just not enough to sustain their habits and growing population for very long.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:45 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,196,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpstermcnuggets View Post
I would absolutely agree about the culture being different in both subregions, based on my travels to places both in the Upper and Lower Midwest. It's also false to say there isn't culture in the Lower Midwest either, as Bloomington, IN, Saint Louis, Indianapolis(I'll even say Indy is heavily underrated, vs. other Midwest cities), Columbus, and Cincinnati are all examples of what I mean.

The Chicago area is, in a way, an interesting melting pot between both Upper Midwest, and Lower Midwest culture. Why else do Chicagoians(and area residents too) always see license plates from a great variety of other Midwestern states?
Chicago area is as diverse its gets in the Midwest. Here you will find a Chinatown, lot of Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Greeks, Italians, Indians, Arabs, Gays/Bi/Lesbians and others. IMO Chicago has a lot of East Coast tendencies, which set it apart from the general Midwest.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:12 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,224 times
Quote:
Quite small-minded and opinionated of you - exaggerated too. I'll add another one - you're stereotyping a whole region. I'm from the Midwest and I don't know where you get the pretentious and pompous. People are people.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:33 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Chicago area is as diverse its gets in the Midwest. Here you will find a Chinatown, lot of Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Greeks, Italians, Indians, Arabs, Gays/Bi/Lesbians and others. IMO Chicago has a lot of East Coast tendencies, which set it apart from the general Midwest.
That is why I like Chicago. It has nothing at all in common with Great Plains cities like Kansas City, Omaha, Des Moines, Fargo, etc.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:25 PM

58 posts, read 170,068 times
As much as I want to leave, if someone told me I had to live here all my life I would not mind Despite the fields and long driving times just to get to a decent store, the midwest is beautiful. Nothing beats the changing seasons. It's cheap living and seeing for miles. Illinois is flat in the middle (where I live) but there are hills in the north and south. The small towns have charm and history. Yes there are frequent meth busts but drugs are everywhere. It's a great place to think and you can always see the stars. You hear the birds in the morning and the cicadas in the evening. Life is both fast place and slow as hell. I don't mind living here, I used to hate it. I don't think very many kids like growing up in a town of 600 people when all your friends live 12 miles away. There is a big lack of public transporation and that's a downside. Everywhere you go there is a trade-off. Anyone who hates the midwest and hasn't ever lived here doesn't know how different each state can be or even how different a state is from one end to the next. All in all at least the midwest is still apart of the US so I'd say people need to be thankful for what they have. It could always be worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.