Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 10:53 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
I never knew that one.
Here's the link to the Federal DOT website:

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/programadmin/interstate.cfm

It's under Interstate Route Numbering

Connecting Interstate routes and full or partial circumferential beltways around or within urban areas carry a three-digit number. These routes are designated with the number of the main route and an even-numbered prefix. Supplemental radial and spur routes, connecting with the main route at one end, also carry a three-digit number, using the number of the main route with an odd-number prefix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 12:51 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Technically, the 605 Freeway was designed to be a bypass of Downtown Los Angeles to the east, while the 210 serves that purpose to the North and the 405 bypasses it to the west. It's just that the area grew exponentially between the time the freeway was planned and when it was actually built. The odd-numbered 3DI's like the 110 and the 710 directly connect Downtown LA to the Port of Los Angeles-Long Beach, so they serve as spurs as 3DI's that start with odd-numbers are supposed to.
110 and 710 had both been built prior to Interstate designation as state Highways (CA 11 and CA 7 respectively) and got their Interstate designations in the 80s

Old 03-29-2018, 08:20 PM

1,235 posts, read 943,364 times
Another thread posted an idea of an Interstate 92 nicknamed "Rooftop Expressway" that goes from Maine to Lake Ontario through New Hampshire, Vermont, and Upstate New York.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:08 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
110 and 710 had both been built prior to Interstate designation as state Highways (CA 11 and CA 7 respectively) and got their Interstate designations in the 80s
True, but when they did get their interstate designations, Caltrans made sure they followed the MUTCD rule that they start with odd-numbers as they serve as spur routes to Downtown from outlying areas.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:23 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
Another thread posted an idea of an Interstate 92 nicknamed "Rooftop Expressway" that goes from Maine to Lake Ontario through New Hampshire, Vermont, and Upstate New York.
Far too much New England NIMBY'sm and topographical challenges to get past to ever be conceived. I couldn't fathom Vermont supporting another interstate crossing the state. NH might be more open to the idea as its more development friendly. Parallel to US 4 would be the most sensible corridor. The only real populated area it would traverse is the Merrimack Valley in NH.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:15 PM

977 posts, read 567,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Here's the link to the Federal DOT website:

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/programadmin/interstate.cfm

It's under Interstate Route Numbering

Connecting Interstate routes and full or partial circumferential beltways around or within urban areas carry a three-digit number. These routes are designated with the number of the main route and an even-numbered prefix. Supplemental radial and spur routes, connecting with the main route at one end, also carry a three-digit number, using the number of the main route with an odd-number prefix.
You seem more knowledgeable than I am on this. In the Pittsburgh metro area, there are two 3-digit interstates that I think are numbered backwards according to these rules. I-376 has one terminal end at I-76 in Monroeville, PA, an eastern suburb of PA. It interchanges again with I-76 in Beaver County to the northwest of Pittsburgh, but continues past this to a terminus at I-80 near Sharon, PA. Should this route not be numbered with an even first digit?

The other route is I-279. This route has its southern terminus in downtown Pittsburgh at an interchange with I-376. Its northern terminus is north of Pittsburgh in the suburb of Franklin Park, at a partial interchange with I-79 (northbound traffic on either I-279 or I-79 cannot access the other route southbound).

It just seems to me that these are backwards and we should have I-276 and I-379. I understand why this was done, though. There was a project a few years back that renumbered both of these routes. The original 376 terminated in downtown at the junction with 279. The original route 279 ran from a junction with I-79 in Robinson Township, west of Pittsburgh to the current terminus in Franklin Park, also at I-79. The remainder of the freeway, had carried two different numberings. From the I-79 junction to the junction with PA-60 and US 22/30 westbound, the numbering was US22/US30 (These run concurrently even today with I-376; US 22 from the Monroeville terminus to this junction in Robinson Township, US 30 from an interchange near Wilkinsburg, east of the city to this junction), and from that junction to I-80, the PA 60 numbering was used. Therefore, the original numbering was probably correct.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:52 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
There needs to be an Interstate Highway between Reno and Las Vegas, to connect the largest two metros in Nevada.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:16 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
I've always wondered why Interstate 45 didn't extend further north of Downtown Dallas along US-75 and the Indian Nation Turnpike to connect it directly to Tulsa.
U.S. 75 up to Tulsa, and U.S. 69 up to Big Cabin could both be interstates or at least freeways all the way through. Lot's of truck traffic on 69.
Since it's Oklahoma we're talking about, they should also be toll roads so they'll get properly maintained and look like they're a halfway first-world state.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:03 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
There needs to be an Interstate Highway between Reno and Las Vegas, to connect the largest two metros in Nevada.
I tend to agree somewhat, but Reno to Vegas is not a huge traffic corridor. As it stands today the route down US 395/95 is cumbersome for sure. I would guess a major Interstate (perhaps I-13?) would be quite expensive in today's dollars. And while it might cut off an hour or more on the route, I'm not sure it is critically important.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:16 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Upgrading U.S. 93 to a new I-13 from Las Vegas north to Twin Falls, ID, and south to Phoenix, would probably be a better use of funds than constructing a new highway between Las Vegas and Reno. But then again, I can count the number of times I've stepped foot in Nevada on one hand, so what do I know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.