Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2019, 11:30 AM

186 posts, read 135,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
US 19 going north from St Petersburg, FL needs to be fully converted into a highway. It would cut travel time across Pinellas county down by about 20 minutes and cut down on accidents and unsafe conditions. There are areas of US 19 where people go 60-65mph, but there are still fast changing lights, yellow lights that are way to short, U turns, and intersections with no lights, so you have people cutting across a 4 lane highway to make turns. It is absolutely CRAZY. I'm waiting for people to organize a class action lawsuit alleging unsafe driving conditions. Every time I see someone inching up waiting to make a U turn while I am traveling 55-60mph in the left lane, I get nervous. In Pasco county it is even worse.
Why would people be going over 55 MPH through commercial and residential areas? Not from Florida but just looked at a map and portions of US 19 are already limited accessible in Pinellas park area and it appears a more expressway-like US-19 appears once you approach the Clearwater area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
The most over built underutilized interstate in N.Y. is i88 from binghamton near the PA border to Albany/Schenectady.

Basically it was only built with funds so a state senator could drive from his home in Binghamton NY to the capitol in Albany easily and as quickly as possible by direct route.

You can travel for miles on that road and not see another car.

Some people get roads, and have them named for them!

This is misleading. I'm from Rochester. Albany is the capital of the state of NY. There are a variety of people that live south of Rochester. Do to the undeniable geography of the state people who live south of Buffalo or Rochester would have to travel over 4 hours to get to the capital. If going through Binghampton and picking up I-88 is more convenient than going I-90 then do so. There already is NY Route 7 that connected Broome County to Schenectady County, but the senator knew an interstate would be more reasonable perhaps. It also has helped college towns like Oneonta and Cobleskill grow so I-88 is NOT useless at all.

Old 12-27-2019, 12:17 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres4evR View Post
This is misleading. I'm from Rochester. Albany is the capital of the state of NY. There are a variety of people that live south of Rochester. Do to the undeniable geography of the state people who live south of Buffalo or Rochester would have to travel over 4 hours to get to the capital. If going through Binghampton and picking up I-88 is more convenient than going I-90 then do so. There already is NY Route 7 that connected Broome County to Schenectady County, but the senator knew an interstate would be more reasonable perhaps. It also has helped college towns like Oneonta and Cobleskill grow so I-88 is NOT useless at all.
If you are in ROC or BUF, wouldnt you just take i90?

Old 12-27-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
If you are in ROC or BUF, wouldnt you just take i90?
If you are south of Buffalo or Rochester then you will find there are lakes and rivers and hills, hence the "geography" aspect. Many people in communities such as Jamestown, Ithaca or Elmira find it more convenient to go east to I-88 than go directly north to I-90.

Old 12-27-2019, 06:40 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,199,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres4evR View Post
I see on google maps that US-59 is redesigned at parts that don't really have any traffic flow, so thats agreed. if the speed limit in Texas is 70, then it should've just been kept a divided highway not upgraded to an interstate.
US 59 is being upgraded to I-69 partly because of increased truck traffic that's projected to become much heavier with increased activity at Houston's port and much of that merchandise being shipped by rail to a proposed inland port facility near Texarkana that will be distributed from there to it's final destination. Whatever isn't transported by rail would use trucks.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:20 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times
Who ever said 410 in San Antonio is useless does not know what they are talking about. Most parts across the northern arc have just shy of 300,000 vehicles a day! (Me included)

Old 12-28-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
US 59 is being upgraded to I-69 partly because of increased truck traffic that's projected to become much heavier with increased activity at Houston's port and much of that merchandise being shipped by rail to a proposed inland port facility near Texarkana that will be distributed from there to it's final destination. Whatever isn't transported by rail would use trucks.
I was talking about the Wharton, TX area. Appears there is not a lot of traffic according to the street view, but yet US-59 is being upgraded to interstate standards. According to 2010 census data the population of Wharton itself is less than 10K. If Texas has a speed limit of 70 MPH then upgrading to interstate standards is silly because you would be going to same speed anyways, its a waste of resources. I understand if Houston to Texarkana has an increased flow of commercial traffic, but Wharton is the opposite side of Houston!

Old 12-28-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
Another thread posted an idea of an Interstate 92 nicknamed "Rooftop Expressway" that goes from Maine to Lake Ontario through New Hampshire, Vermont, and Upstate New York.
The "Rooftop" expressway was actually a proposed I-98 that was supposed to connect Watertown, NY area to the northern portion of Vermont. A portion was built in NY off of I-81 to connect to Fort Drum. Governor Cuomo has been all talk and no action on even coming close to completing the NY portion of the expressway so I-98 will probably never be completed in my lifetime (Hudson Valley, NYC, and Long Island usually are too powerful and have been voting him in in droves since 2010; so upstate NY not as likely to get any support from the Governor's mansion).

Old 12-28-2019, 11:35 AM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Upgrade U.S. 290 between Austin to Houston to a limited access highway or tollroad.

Capital Freeway Project I-35 in Austin.

Complete the 45 tollroad completely around Austin's west sections.

Continue 130 from its terminus at I-35 in Georgetown to the I-35E/W interchange just south of DFW as an alternate to I-35 with 85 MPH speed limits.

Complete I-14 and I-69

Atlanta needs an outer loop like ever so bad.

Tollroad between I-675 @ I-75 terminus to the proposed Suncoast Pkwy Extension at the stateline of Georgia and Florida

I-85 needs to be 3 lanes each way minimum between Atlanta and Charlotte.

Upgrade U.S. 287 to interstate standards from FortWorth to Amarillo. Then extend the interstate to I-25 just south of Colorado Springs as a freeway connection from DFW to Denver.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Interstate 76 between Arvada, CO and Big Springs, NE. What's the point of that one? Are there really that many people going to Denver in rural Nebraska?
Arvada, CO is a suburb of Denver which is the capital of Colorado. It appears there are a variety of communities in the northeastern portion of Colorado which could potentially need to visit the capital, OR find a desire to tourist destinations. I-76 appears to make this more feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.