Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 09:26 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
I posted a Interstate 6 idea that goes from Tallahassee, FL to Cape Canaveral, FL. It could also stretch the other way, northwest past Tallahassee to connect with Interstate 65 in Alabama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heythebigmansback View Post
There are already rumors that there are plans to build a I 6 from Laredo, TX, to Corpus Christi, TX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusco View Post
That'd be a waste of an interstate number.
To be fair, there really aren't that many places where one could put an east-west interstate located to the north of I-2 (Texas) and I-4 (Florida) and south of I-10. And there are already several interstate numbers that are used for disjointed routes, so having an I-6 between Laredo and Corpus Christi would not preclude another segment of I-6 from Tallahassee to Cape Canaveral. Incidentally, for your I-6, are you envisioning an overlay of I-10/I-75/Florida Turnpike/SR 528, or a new route somewhere else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Not an interstate, but the new Kickapoo Turnpike in Eastern Oklahoma goes through a swathe of farmland that is far outside the suburbs of OKC and won't be developed anytime soon.
Not really pertinent to the thread, but I just wanted to say, I think "Kickapoo" is a really neat name. It's a Native American tribe, right? Well, whatever it is, I like the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 11:01 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,677 times
The creation of I-394 here in the Twin Cities is pretty much pointless; it's just a 10-mile spur that dead-ends in Minnetonka and then continues as US Hwy 12 beyond that.

The highway was already there before its creation, so what was the purpose of redesignating it as an interstate?

Old 01-15-2022, 09:17 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
The creation of I-394 here in the Twin Cities is pretty much pointless; it's just a 10-mile spur that dead-ends in Minnetonka and then continues as US Hwy 12 beyond that.

The highway was already there before its creation, so what was the purpose of redesignating it as an interstate?
After that section of US 12 was redesignated as I-394 it was brought up to interstate standards (limited access, redesigned exits, signage, etc.

Old 01-15-2022, 02:49 PM

1,235 posts, read 944,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
To be fair, there really aren't that many places where one could put an east-west interstate located to the north of I-2 (Texas) and I-4 (Florida) and south of I-10. And there are already several interstate numbers that are used for disjointed routes, so having an I-6 between Laredo and Corpus Christi would not preclude another segment of I-6 from Tallahassee to Cape Canaveral. Incidentally, for your I-6, are you envisioning an overlay of I-10/I-75/Florida Turnpike/SR 528, or a new route somewhere else?

Not really pertinent to the thread, but I just wanted to say, I think "Kickapoo" is a really neat name. It's a Native American tribe, right? Well, whatever it is, I like the name.
The portion that's northwest of the Florida Turnpike would be new road, then it would follow the Florida Turnpike until state route 528, then it would follow 528 to it's eastern terminus in Cape Canaveral.

Old 01-15-2022, 04:03 PM

511 posts, read 400,276 times
Texas needs lots of more highways built throughout the state. The state is so vastly huge in size with some of the nation's fastest growing population yet many cities in there lack major highways compared to up North (i.e. Ohio). Austin for example doesn't have a interstate that heads westbound and eastbound.

Old 01-16-2022, 06:39 AM

424 posts, read 304,268 times
Interstate 10 can have 2 ways similar to 35 w and 35 e I 10 North can go west of Harper go through Austin, College Station , northernmost Houston suburbs and end near the Louisiana border while the regular 10 goes to SATX as normal

Old 01-16-2022, 04:27 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
I would say I-88 is pretty useless in Illinois past Aurora.

I guess it's designed to relieve traffic on I-80 which is usually quite heavy. But the charging of tolls means it's practically empty when I've driven it.

The two highways are only about twenty miles apart where I-88 starts in the east and they end up on opposite sides of the Quad Cities.

Old 01-17-2022, 06:26 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
After that section of US 12 was redesignated as I-394 it was brought up to interstate standards (limited access, redesigned exits, signage, etc.
Yes, but why couldn't it have just stayed US 12? All of the non-Interstate freeways in the Twin Cities are upgraded to Interstate standards but still designated as MN or US highways. Calling a tiny chunk of US 12 "I-394" seems arbitrary and pointless.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:48 PM

1,235 posts, read 944,208 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa_i9hvnSe0

Old 03-20-2022, 04:58 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
I may have brought this up earlier in this long thread, but it is important to remember the Interstate system was started in the late 50’s, yes for easier transportation as suburbs grew, but also as a way out in case of nuclear war. Also in that scenario, easier to move troops. The Cold War was very real and federal government needed to respond.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 03-20-2022 at 05:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.