Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 10:49 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Yeah, I love seeing all of those photos of little white country churches and fall foilage in Cleveland.
I grew up between these two towns in Wisconsin.

Ephraim:

Fish Creek:

I have friends from the Portland ME area who moved to the Lake Michigan shores in Wisconsin after numerous visits. They claim it's the closest to home that they were able to find in the country (along with some areas of Michigan). Similar climate in Maine and the WI Lake Michigan shore, similar towns, similar recreation, etc. I think the biggest dividers in the country actually run north/south (duh: climate/foliage). The Rockies, the oceans, and the Appalachians certainly play a big part, as well. Door County (see: pics) is often compared to Cape Cod (and vice/versa) by people who have been to both. It's weird to me how people use misdirected examples like "white churches" and "fall foliage" instead of more solid cultural examples to "prove" a point sometimes...but it certainly falls in line with PCH's usual MO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 11:16 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
^^^ Gorgeous The first could easily be in Maine and the Second on the Chesepeake

Just love that first picture though, feel like a cup of coffee or glass of wine on a porch there would be devine

Old 08-22-2013, 12:23 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Bam? Really? Where did you did up that map? Everything from the Department of Commerce, the Census Bureau, CDC, and every other Gov't agency I can find has Michigan in the Midwest.
http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/.../us_regdiv.pdf
Regions and Divisions - 2007 Economic Census - U.S. Census Bureau
CDC - STD Surveillance, 2010 - Census Regions in the United States
Pay Relatives for U.S. Census Regions and Divisions, 2006
http://fossil.energy.gov/programs/ga...pdf/table2.pdf

Last edited by Bydand; 08-22-2013 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Listed the CDC as just "CD" so I fixed it

Old 08-22-2013, 12:31 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Finding one map with skewed region definitions doesn't mean you're right with your definitions that map happens to support. Michigan is not in the Northeast, literally and culturally. The northeast is comprised of all of New England and NY, NJ, PA, and I could see those who include DE, MD, DC, and parts of VA. Anything west of PA is a different region and western PA and NY are somewhat different from the coastal Northeast. Most people from both regions would agree, and I'm surprised you think of it the way you do as you're from NYC, correct?

Old 08-22-2013, 12:37 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I don't see Delaware, Maryland or DC in these definitions of "Northeast" either.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:41 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Bam? Really? Where did you did up that map? Everything from the Department of Commerce, the Census Bureau, CD, and every other Gov't agency I can find has Michigan in the Midwest.
right, and Missouri is part of the same region as Washington and Oregon...nice wiki map there.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:45 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
^^^ Gorgeous The first could easily be in Maine and the Second on the Chesepeake

Just love that first picture though, feel like a cup of coffee or glass of wine on a porch there would be devine
Of course, I hated growing up there and couldn't wait to move! I hated all the family vacations where all we did was go around Wisconsin, Minnesota and Upper Michigan instead of out West to the Rockies or an ocean beach like most families. I spent a good chunk of my early adulthood going everywhere on the continent I could think of that wasn't Wisconsin. I stayed in cities, hung out on the ocean, hiked in the mountains, you name it. Only recently (I'm in my early 40s now, even though I still feel like a stupid kid!) have I realized how lucky I had it. I've been re-visiting spots around the region that I'd been to but didn't appreciate because there weren't any snow-covered peaks. I've been reading up on and jetting over to places I'd never been. Every weekend I can't wait to get out of Milwaukee with my girlfriend and check out a new "thing." Getting old, I guess. Maybe even nostalgic. But I feel I'm just making up for the undeserved pendulum swing earlier. There's more to do than hours in the day, at least during spring/summer/fall.

Used to ride my bike to the tower on the bluff here several times a week and gaze out over all the islands and yachts, before heading down to the beach:

Poor me! Ephraim is a dry town, which is especially weird when you consider it's in Wisconsin. Buildings are under strict requirements (you can only paint in earth tones and white) and zoning (no chains exist at all in the main vacation areas in Door County). But it's served them well, as Ephraim has been painted and postcarded to death and gobs of money flow through there every summer.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:45 PM

These are the most ridiculous couple pages I have seen in a long time here on C-D. Trying to compare two large sections of the Country that have vastly different areas in each. All of the Midwest is NOT alike, all of the Northeast is NOT alike. I have spent almost 20 years in the Northeast (Maine) and almost 30 years total in the Midwest (Michigan). There are areas that are remarkable similar, and areas that are no where even close to being the same. Michigan and Maine ARE very close to each other in general feel in SOME parts of each state. Northeastern Maine is very agriculturally centered and there are a lot of farms, the soil is very good for growing some produce. Potatoes are HUGE up there for an example. Blueberries are a huge growing crop in central Maine. Outdise of the urban areas of Michigan it is VERY rural, as rural as most of Maine, minus the North Maine Woods, but even Mainers don't live there.

Michigan accent does NOT sound like MN.
MI is NOT in the Northeast.
All of MI is NOT "blue" the large population centers are, the rest of us are not.
Parts of the Midwest are very close to areas of the Northeast.
Parts of the Midwest are NOTHING like areas of the Northeast.

If is amusing how people are arguing from their own little sliver of perspective and missing the big picture. I have been to every region, and every State in both the Midwest and the Northeast. I have family and/or friends in most of the different regions, and have spent considerable time in all of them. Some of the arguments in these pages are true for some areas and totally wrong for others, others are just wrong.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
right, and Missouri is part of the same region as Washington and Oregon...nice wiki map there.
I didn't post the wiki map as proof of anything. That was BajanYankee trying to prove MI is Northeast. All the while ignoring the other map in that same exact section that shows it as "Middle West."

Old 08-22-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I don't see Delaware, Maryland or DC in these definitions of "Northeast" either.
Nope, you don't. They are all listed as being part of the South. Doesn't change your argument that MI is Northeast, which is isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.