Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:49 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times

Advertisements

Ok, midwesterners, here's you're chance to educate a young southwestern man who's never been to the midwest before as to what the big 'ol center of the country is like! What are the different sub-regions of the midwest? How does the culture and physical landscape vary between these different areas. Here are some regional terms I've seen thrown around before-- perhaps you can educate me:
Upper Midwest?
Lower Midwest?
Great Plains (where does the Great Plains begin and end... and what's the difference between the Great Plains and just "Plains" or Prairie?)
Ozarks-- is that the Midwest or is that more the south?
Corn belt?
Amish country?
Also, how would you group the various cities of the midwest? In particular, what city most compares to St. Louis? (there's a possibility I could end up living in St. Louis for a year-- so I'm curious about that city in particular)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 10:37 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
Upperland: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan
Lowerland: Iowa, Missouri, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois
Boring Rectangular Places: Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas

You've got the rustbelt, the cornbelt, and the Dakotas
Rustbelt and cornbelt intersect in Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and even Iowa, although the general definition of the rustbelt ends with a couple of arms around Milwaukee and Rockford.

St. Louis is somewhat unique in that it feels southern, although Indianapolis is "southern" for me as well.

Amish country is found mostly in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa. Maybe Missouri?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:37 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
Upper Midwest are the states like Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, and Michigan and Iowa to some extent. It is more Scandinavianie and more prosperous in relation to the remainder of the midwest. Also more insular.
Lower Midwest are more the Great Lakes states, Ill., Ind., O., parts of Mo.. IMO anyways. Have more medium-sized cities. More dense, older. Milwaukee has a lower Midwest feeling, but is in a generally Upper Midwest state.
Great Plains are N. Dak., S. Dak., Neb., Kan.. Oklahoma is not a midwestern state. The Great Plains are a social group. The plains extend into Minnesota, Illinois and other states. The "Plains" are a more geographic and agricultural term. The Great Plains are pretty conservative. No real large cities.
The Ozarks are southern, IMO.
Corn belt is Iowa, Minn., Neb., into Ill.
Amish Country is not a specific place. There are strong populations in SE Minn. and Wisconsin. Ohio is prob. the largest group.
Missouri is confusing. Saint Louis is more midwestern than Hannibal to the north of it. Kansas City is midwestern, Springfield and Branson are not. It is a pretty odd mix.
Saint Louis groups with, nothing. Most like Cinti., IMO. It is physically similar to Cleveland, Milw., et. cetera. But Saint Louis has a more conservative, southern tint to it. It is one of my favorite cities. I suggest it. Cities are hard to group. Economically, Mpls., Chicago and Milw. are good. Physically, Mpls. is pretty different from Chicago. Cincinnati is more like Saint Louis than Cleveland. Kansas City is very western. Saint Louis is surprisingly eastern. They should have put the arch in Saint Charles. I noticed a lack of large cars in St. Louis, as opposed to Mpls. It is the little things like that mostly. Indianapolis and Columbus are larger than Cleveland, but really aren't, they are just newer cities that grew within the boundaries of their Cities Proper. Omaha is the same. Saint Paul is eastern, Mpls. is Western. I could go ad nauseum. Hope my incoherence got you somewhere
----Minnehahapolitan

Old 11-14-2007, 10:44 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
The Rust Belt, lest I forget
It is more spotty than it is perceived to be. Milw., Chicago, Saint Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo, Duluth, Flint, Akron, Wheeling, Pittsburgh are all Rust Belt. You can't jusge a place by the moniker. Chicago, Milw., Pittsburgh and Duluth are great cities. Madison, Kansas City, Columbus, Grand Rapids, Rochester, Minn., and many others are really not Rust Belt. It cannot be applied to states.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:42 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times

Old 11-15-2007, 12:26 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Agreed 100%. Perfect map. Corresponds exactly to what I've experienced throughout my many explorations of my home state.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:41 AM

646 posts, read 813,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
The Rust Belt, lest I forget
It is more spotty than it is perceived to be. Milw., Chicago, Saint Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo, Duluth, Flint, Akron, Wheeling, Pittsburgh are all Rust Belt. You can't jusge a place by the moniker. Chicago, Milw., Pittsburgh and Duluth are great cities. Madison, Kansas City, Columbus, Grand Rapids, Rochester, Minn., and many others are really not Rust Belt. It cannot be applied to states.

Minnesota especially but also a number of bright spots in Wisconsin are still moving along quite well for the UMW. The two states business and technology wise seem to share a number of resources, outlooks and talents in a number of fields and have a lot of interplay with the rest of the country. Even South Dakota is so prominent in the banking, credit, finance system.
Citibank might be a New York bank but it has a lot of operations there.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:17 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Agreed 100%. Perfect map. Corresponds exactly to what I've experienced throughout my many explorations of my home state.
The only thing I'd argue is that the UP of Michigan is just as much Upper Midwest as Great Lakes. You get the crazy Fargo accent and everything.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:24 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
You get the crazy Fargo accent and everything.
ah... the yooper accent, I heard that full-on for the first time when I visited the UP a few years back. Fun stuff.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:58 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
ah... the yooper accent, I heard that full-on for the first time when I visited the UP a few years back. Fun stuff.
Oh, I adore it, actually! I used to have a bumper sticker that took the old state slogan, "Say Yes to Michigan," and turned it into Yoopanese: "Say Yah to Da U.P., Eh!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.