Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:36 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times

Advertisements

The DC accent is primarily a black accent only and covers much of the DC metro area. It's very Mid-Atlantic in both dialect and accent. Someone from the NYC or Philly or New Jersey or Boston or general New England would think that we sound Southern and/or 'Country' whereas Someone from say Charleston, Birmingham, Atlanta (Excluding the transplants), Little Rock, Louisville, etc. would think that we sound Northern.

The DC accent is kind of like a weird blend between the Tidewater dialect (Southern-lite) and the Baltimore accent (Northern-lite). It's a VERY distinctive accent. Put me in a room with people from Philly, St. Louis, Baltimore, Boston, New Orleans, Wilmington, Miami, DC, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Houston, and Charleston and I can easily make out the DC accent. Most of us here in the DMV trace our ancestry to Virginia, the Carolinas, and Georgia FTW.

**** People FROM DC Say - YouTube

**** DC People Say - YouTube

Accent Tag: Welcome to DC! - YouTube

DMV slang translation - YouTube

WALE TALKS GRAMMY NOD, ENCOURAGES YOUTH, REDSKINS AND DC DEC 2012 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 09:33 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
When I lived in the NYC area, I thought blacks sounded vaguely southern. Of course, I had a poor sense of what a real southern accent sounds like. Don't hear too much southern in that LiL Mama video. A friend of mine probably went to high school with her, judging by the year they both graduated.
Nah. This is Southern... These are Blacks from Atlanta. NYC AA's barely have a trace of a Southern influence in thier accent.

Shawty Lo Searches For T.I. - YouTube

Another Southern accent from Central Texas. Where I used to live. Sounds nothing like the NYC accent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9DPht84yyI

Old 09-25-2013, 10:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
here's a [black] nyc mayor candidate: grew up in brooklyn

City Talk: William Thompson, NYC Comptroller - YouTube

skip to 3:10 or so

Old 09-26-2013, 07:40 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
The DC accent is kind of like a weird blend between the Tidewater dialect (Southern-lite) and the Baltimore accent (Northern-lite). It's a VERY distinctive accent. Put me in a room with people from Philly, St. Louis, Baltimore, Boston, New Orleans, Wilmington, Miami, DC, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Houston, and Charleston and I can easily make out the DC accent. Most of us here in the DMV trace our ancestry to Virginia, the Carolinas, and Georgia FTW.
Just curious...what strikes you as "northern" about the Baltimore "blaccent?"

Old 09-29-2013, 01:32 PM

284 posts, read 641,208 times
The dc aa accent is my fave, i love to hear black women from dc talk

Old 09-29-2013, 04:08 PM

51 posts, read 109,160 times
The California variant of African-American Vernacular English is surprisingly rhotic compared to most AAVE dialects.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:19 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhodyInTheDesert View Post
The California variant of African-American Vernacular English is surprisingly rhotic compared to most AAVE dialects.
I don't even know why our accents are rhotic compared to another African Americans in the rest of the US. It might be because many of us in Cali grew up around Hispanics who strongly prounce thier R's, so it might have rubbed off on us. I also notice Hispanic type cadences in some of the younger Blacks around the LA area.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I don't even know why our accents are rhotic compared to another African Americans in the rest of the US. It might be because many of us in Cali grew up around Hispanics who strongly prounce thier R's, so it might have rubbed off on us. I also notice Hispanic type cadences in some of the younger Blacks around the LA area.
Hmm. Interesting pattern. NYC hispanics, at least those who grew up there, tend to pronounce R's even less than most other locals.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:46 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
There is even a difference between Blacks from Philly and the ones from Pittsburgh and they are in the same state!

Old 09-29-2013, 05:47 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Didn't Guru from GangStarr had a "Black Boston Dialect"?
I think so.

Interview Guru and Solar - 2007 - part 1 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.