Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,099,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
I'd have to disagree. Texas is definitely more western than southern. I wouldn't ever consider it southern. Born and raised in the true south BTW.
I respectfully disagree, as a born and bred southern belle (born in New Orleans, raised in Louisiana, North Carolina, Virginia, Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia and lived as an adult in South Carolina, Maryland, Arkansas and Texas). I've lived in East Texas for over twenty years and it's DEFINITELY part of the American south culturally. Not the DEEP south, but definitely the south. It's a fabulous mixture of southern and Texan and you're right in the sense that it's unique - but it's definitely unique in a southern way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 11:00 AM

370 posts, read 863,843 times
Parts of Texas may lean towards Southern, but the state is huge and varied. East Texas is very different than West Texas or South Texas. Many cities like San Antonio or El Paso have very little southern feel to them in my opinion.

I grew up in Dallas and lived in Austin and I consider many parts of Texas more similar to Arizona, New Mexico,Oklahoma, and Colorado than the Deep South. I also know Austin fancies itself a West Coast type of city...

However, I agree East Texas has a very southern feel to it.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:18 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,067,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
I'd have to disagree. Texas is definitely more western than southern. I wouldn't ever consider it southern. Born and raised in the true south BTW.
This has been discussed ad nauseum in this forum. The vast majority of Texans themselves on this board will tell you that they live in the South.

And what is the "true south"? The South as a whole is not a monolithic region and has a couple of different subregions.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:28 AM

375 posts, read 801,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This has been discussed ad nauseum in this forum. The vast majority of Texans themselves on this board will tell you that they live in the South.

And what is the "true south"? The South as a whole is not a monolithic region and has a couple of different subregions.
Actually I think most Texans would say they live in Texas. A friend of mine in college from the Austin area said that while it has Southern influence, it isn't completely in the South. He also said (and I was surprised since he was a big time GOP supporter and helped with the Rick Perry campaign for governor) that he disliked when people flew the confederate flag, though he was okay with the Texas flag flying over the American flag. I think most Texans feel this way. They have more Texas pride than Southern pride, granted that may be in Central Texas since most of the whites are Germans and Czechs, and maybe its that way with the Hispanics who've lived there a while.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
Actually I think most Texans would say they live in Texas. A friend of mine in college from the Austin area said that while it has Southern influence, it isn't completely in the South. He also said (and I was surprised since he was a big time GOP supporter and helped with the Rick Perry campaign for governor) that he disliked when people flew the confederate flag, though he was okay with the Texas flag flying over the American flag. I think most Texans feel this way. They have more Texas pride than Southern pride, granted that may be in Central Texas since most of the whites are Germans and Czechs, and maybe its that way with the Hispanics who've lived there a while.
I totally agree with this. Texas is Texas first, and southern second. (And some would say a part of the US third, but many Texans would disagree and are very patriotic, myself included.) Personally I don't care for the confederate flag and you don't see many of those displayed around here, though you will see MANY Texas flags displayed.

It's not the CONFEDERACY that resonates with many Texans - but the South is so much more than the Confederacy, and I think that many people who aren't from that region don't realize that. I think that many people who aren't Southerners think that everyone who loves the South is all "South's gonna rise agin!" and sitting on the front porch drinking a mint julep wondering where all their slaves went, or wanting to secede again. Southern culture and heritage is so much more diverse and eclectic and, well, so much nicer than all that. It's the accent, the heat, the sweet tea, the grits and cornbread and black eyed peas, the friendliness, the musical traditions, the "Yes m'am" and pick up trucks and hard work and the love of rural settings and pastures and small towns and memories of Sunday school and long, hot summers wandering down red clay roads that is Southern to the core...those experiences and identities pull the region, including Texas, together.

Also...can you please just look at this map and then try to tell me that Texas isn't a southern state?

I do believe it's about as south as a state can get. And it's as much south EAST as it is south WEST. So the argument is pointless. It's a southern state. It's in the southern part of our nation, and it was a part of the southern confederacy, and it's chock full of people talking with southern drawls and sipping on sweet tea. Oh, and don't forget all the Saints fans which are here en masse either.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:06 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,426,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Incorrect. Texas is most certainly grouped with the South more than with any other region, and rightfully so since it is a Southern state.
I have never heard of this weird definition of "the South".

So Hawaii is "the South", correct? It's the most Southern state.

And places like the Carolinas, Tennessee, Kentucky, etc. are not "the South", because they aren't particularly Southern in terms of latitude? LOL

Old 11-12-2013, 08:14 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,604,704 times
A stupid and pointless thread got derailed by a debate about something completely irrelevant to the already irrelevant and nonsensical topic......oh C-D....

Old 11-12-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
A stupid and pointless thread got derailed by a debate about something completely irrelevant to the already irrelevant and nonsensical topic......oh C-D....
And this comment adds so much to the quality of the thread!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:25 PM

10,250 posts, read 15,965,034 times
Even with Texas, the movies always show it as full of cowboys and rednecks which is not accurate.

I've also noticed that when a movie is set in a northern city like Pittsburgh they always show a nice establishing shot of the skyline, but nothing set in Atlanta ever shows how large and modern the city is. New Orleans is the only Southern city that gets depicted fairly in pop culture.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Even with Texas, the movies always show it as full of cowboys and rednecks which is not accurate.

I've also noticed that when a movie is set in a northern city like Pittsburgh they always show a nice establishing shot of the skyline, but nothing set in Atlanta ever shows how large and modern the city is. New Orleans is the only Southern city that gets depicted fairly in pop culture.
Right, because they can make it look crazy and weird and it's actually accurate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.