Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 06:12 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateofmind View Post
I personally think VA is more like MD (the presence and growing power of NOVA compared to the rest of the state, as well as me generally thinking that Richmond and Hampton Roads are more of the southern stretches of the Mid-Atlantic region (Tidewater) rather than the upper fringes of the South (Raleigh)... but the influx of transplants (in not just CLT and the Triangle, but all over the Southeast and South in general) has muddied the definition of the South. Some people do not believe Miami belongs in the South. People look at the cultures of Charlotte and Atlanta and can claim that transplants have affected the culture to enough degree that they aren't really truly Southern. This conversation also happens a good bit in Tampa and Orlando... This is what happened in NOVA. Due to geographical ties around DC, they were already connected to MD, but the transplants moving in, settling down in what used to be Southern areas has changed the area. This is happening all over the South's largest areas, and its changing what we think of the South...

edit: urbanmyth, it's weird you bring that up, as over the past year or so I have met a lot of people here in the 704 who originated from the West Coast and California. as you pointed out they have already made a *small* mark on our culture here... I caught myself saying I'm gonna get on the freeway a couple days ago getting on 485...
There are many Southern states that are not currently experiencing a massive influx of people from California or the northern states, especially Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and, if you consider it a Southern state, West Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 06:30 PM

32 posts, read 30,757 times
Virginia is basically North Carolina but... well... further north.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:35 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornhub View Post
Nah.

Old 06-30-2021, 06:13 AM

724 posts, read 403,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Nah.
Yah.

Old 06-30-2021, 10:40 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times
Nah.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:22 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornhub View Post
I say Richmond is the cutoff. I've never done more than drive around Richmond but areas north of that have a "northern" feel.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:13 PM

771 posts, read 626,714 times
Southside is the only region in Virginia that is practically indistinguishable from North Carolina. For example, smaller cities and towns such as Martinsville, Danville, South Boston, and South Hill. These areas were (historically) dependent on tobacco and textiles, and they're closer to North Carolina's major cities than they are to Richmond, Norfolk, etc. Danville in particular is close to both Greensboro and Durham.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:42 PM

771 posts, read 626,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I say Richmond is the cutoff. I've never done more than drive around Richmond but areas north of that have a "northern" feel.
Petersburg and Lynchburg could both serve as cutoffs. Areas to the north of these cities feel different. I'm not saying they're more similar to Maryland, but they're far enough north that similarities with North Carolina begin to fade. On the contrary, areas to the south are more similar to North Carolina. To be honest, central Virginia just feels quintessentially Virginian to me, specifically Charlottesville and Richmond.

I'd imagine the Hampton Roads region could go either way. I'm not as familiar with this area, but I know it has Chesapeake Bay culture similar to Maryland and it also serves as the closest metro to northeastern North Carolina and the Outer Banks.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
What about the DelMarVa, and the Hampton Roads has alot of similarities to MD being on the Chesapeake and all.
The Hampton Roads area is also very similar to areas in northeastern NC.

A couple of years ago in fact, my husband and I went to the Outer Banks in NC. It was really rainy one day so we toodled on up the road just a bit (about an hour or so) and visited the Historic Triangle in VA in the Hampton Roads area. Very, very similar vibe.

I lived in both Fayetteville, NC and in Norfolk and Newport News, VA. They felt similar to me but Virginia felt a bit more upscale. That could definitely be a personal opinion though - LOL.

Old 07-01-2021, 03:19 PM

18 posts, read 22,326 times
It depends what part of Virginia you are considering. Northern Virginia is part of the DMV area. DC, Maryland and Virginia and it feels more like parts of Maryland. You can go further out in Maryland and that has more in common with the more southern parts of VA. It is not as cut and dry as the question you presented. You would get a better response comparing a particular city to a particular city and not just the entire state. Typically North Carolina is much slower than most parts of VA and Maryland. Again city to city comparisons would be more accurate. I have first hand knowledge of all three states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.