Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 04:34 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times

Advertisements

And at the end of the day Maryland is a Southern State just like Virginia is a Southern State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
A whole bunch of ignorance in this thread:

1) while it is very true that "most" of Richmond architecture does not consist of rowhyomes, it is also true that you can find rowhouses in more than a "1 - square mile area", as one truly ignorant poster put it. Richmond has several neighborhoods with rowhouses.

2) in regards to Richmond ' s similarity with MD or NC. Richmond City, itself, is more similar to DC and Baltimore than any city in NC. I think people have to remember, something like 40 of Richmond ' s 62.5 square miles were annexed in the 70s, and that the original areas of the City of Richmond were and still are very dense. Central Richmond, over to the East End, have more than a few census tracts of over 10,000 ppsm, and even the North si side has neighborhoods above 5k. Structurally, irregardless of the fact that "most" of Richmond isn't rowhomes, that is very different than anywhere in Carolina, and most of the South. Richmond at its peak was about 14k ppsm.

3) Richmond in present times is arguably more urban than the largest Southern metros (DAL/HOUS/ATL/MIA), which in turn would make another difference between it and NC. Seriously visit these larger cities. "Larger", without question. But from the city to the burbs, Richmond has levels of urbanity that align much more with large Northern cities than large Southern ones.

4) Maryland is a Northern state. How anybody could argue otherwise is absurd. However....I used to live in Upstate New York. Certainly, Maryland isn't considered the North up there...

5) some fool made the idiotic assertion of areas of VA being "tied" together and clearly showed he knows not what he speaks. Emporia and Roanoke Rapids are sister cities; neither are really connected to Petersburg. I said this before, I'll say it again. My generation (I'm 25), I played football in the Tri-Cities, and we traveled out to Emporia to play twice. They were country to us, and physically, Emporia looks nothing like Petersburg...All Petersburg is, is a smaller version of Richmond. Because it is a half hour south of Richmond, and because south of Petersburg is TRULY "the country", Petersburg has more Southern characteristics than Richmond. But not everyone in Petersburg has a southern accent. Petersburg has rowhomes, Petersburg has dense architecture besides rowhomes in neighborhoods like Walnut Hill. Petersburg isn't "tied-in" to any city in VA besides Richmond...

6) Nova is clearly Northern. So many untruths and half - wit statements on Nova in this thread I don't know where to begin. Richmond - Petersburg is the new transition zone; Nova is nor longer in transition. Lol...and Hampton Roads has a blend of everybody's culture, so it is similar in ways to MD, NE NC. But listen--there is nowhere in the Tidewater as urban as Richmond. The exurbs of Greater Richmond seamlessly blend into Tidewater, and vice-versa; Prince George Co - Charles City Co - Surry Co, combines cultural elements of Richmond and Hampton Roads.

I'll stop here. But I really wish some people would listen to how Virginians view their state rather than how their outside perception is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 04:38 PM

110 posts, read 147,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
What's Irrelevant is people from the south denying the Fact that Maryland and Delaware are Southern States.
You're a strange one...aren't you?

Old 05-30-2014, 04:40 PM

Spoken like person who has never been to the state of Maryland....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc919va757sc803 View Post
Virginia is different ive lived here for a while and im from nc. NOVA is completely different from all of VA it is northeastern Richmond is a northeastern city full of southern people and traditions. People from richmond are southerners maybe even a little more southern than me and im from raleigh. Richmond has nothing in common with nc outside of greensboro/winston salem. The density and build of richmond is a smaller d.c with a baltimore like downtown. Lynchburg/Roanoke area of Va is a lot like cities in nc. Hampton roads metro extends into nc but is nothing like most of nc. Take away norfolk and newport news hampton roads is southern in every aspect and nothing like maryland. Also most nc and va people visit states back and forth and are similar people. Va and nc are alike more than va and md or nc and sc. Nova being the exception and the structure of richmond

Old 05-30-2014, 04:47 PM

Just like nobody talks about the small towns and rural areas of Maryland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Not saying that these cities are not southern but places like Winchester, Petersburg, Portsmouth are hidden jewls and have historic architecture that you will not find in most smaller cities in NC, i wonder why nobody ever talks about VA smaller cities.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNKNE-ADJ View Post
You're a strange one...aren't you?
Spoken like a southern carpet bagger

Old 05-30-2014, 08:39 PM

68 posts, read 110,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Spoken like a southern carpet bagger
spoken like a true douchebag....

Old 05-31-2014, 03:00 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Solid post. I have one question out of curiosity though, how would you compare the urbanity of Richmond to Norfolk and Portsmouth (both of which are probably two of the most urban cities of the Tidewater region)?
Well, I've never been to Portsmouth. But Norfolk is only comparable superficially, by comparing population densities, when in fact Richmond has more neighborhoods of higher density...

Richmond is more cultural on nearly all fronts--economically, artistically, musically, sporting events; Richmond overall has more pedestrian traffic. Richmond is growing much faster and has more construction going on, Richmond has gentrified many areas which in the past could be considered some of the worst in America. Downtown Norfolk doesn't have the hum of hustle and bustle that Downtown Richmond does. And maybe that is rightly so, because Richmond is a business/financial/government center. Nowhere in Norfolk has the energy of Shockoe Bottom or The Fan. Richmond is a city with clearly defined neighborhoods, with a bourgeoisie not replicated in Norfolk, with everything from burgeoning edge cities (Short Pump) to layers and layers of historic enclaves. The only thing I would give Norfolk the edge over Richmond in an urban experience is in its harbor, and in its public transit, for which the light rail is sure to add growth to the city. That's it...

Haven't been to Portsmouth, but I have been to Newport News. Newport to me is the second most urban city in the Tidewater, but like Norfolk isn't really comparable to Richmond. Richmond has always been the big fish in the state, as far as individual cities go (obviously, the Nova REGION is a bigger fish lol). But historically, before the modern rise of Nova, Richmond is the most prominent place in the state, with the urban bones to prove it...

Old 06-04-2014, 10:05 PM

354 posts, read 627,683 times
How Does Georgia cities feel compared to Virginia Cities

Old 06-05-2014, 07:02 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
How Does Georgia cities feel compared to Virginia Cities
Not very similar, I'd say. Georgia cities have more in common with North Carolina cities, you can easily draw similarities between the Atlanta metro, Charlotte, and the Triangle. A ton of major Georgia and North Carolina cities don't have the historic vibe that you find in Virginia cities.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:31 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Not very similar, I'd say. Georgia cities have more in common with North Carolina cities, you can easily draw similarities between the Atlanta metro, Charlotte, and the Triangle.
And that's about it, and possibly an Athens/Chapel Hill comparison. Otherwise, Savannah, Augusta, Columbus, Macon, etc. feel a bit different from Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Asheville, Wilmington, etc. Atlanta even feels different from Charlotte, Raleigh, and Durham in the core. There are a couple similarities when it comes to surrounding historic neighborhoods in Charlotte and Atlanta though, but not really Raleigh and Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.