Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 06:46 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

I wonder if all those white girls at my kids high schools realized that they were dating out of their race!

I wonder if all those mixed-race children in my parent's Southern Baptist church in suburban Atlanta know that their mommas and daddy's don't look anything alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 09:20 AM

51 posts, read 135,781 times
So we are going to pretend the South is just as accepting as the West Coast in terms of interracial couples like the OP and his fiance?

I know everyone on here wants to promote their area and I am a Southerner more than willing to say the good things about the south. If I am promoting the south I am talking about how well it treats tourists, how good the food is, and how nice some of the beaches there are. I am not going to lie to all the readers and tell them that people in Atlanta will accept an interracial couple involving a Middle Eastern looking guy with a Blonde White female because they will not. Not sure where all the other users are coming up with these fictional interracial couples in the state from but I grew up in the suburbs of Atlanta and lived there for a long time, a couple like the OP and his fiance does not exist there, especially not among the younger crowd (we have a sizable South Asian population as well). Sure people might accept a Black man with a White wife but a foreign looking man like an Arabic or Asian male with a White woman couple will have a very rough time. I am telling it like I have seen it and how my friends have experienced it.

On top of that we are image focused in the south so your typical Southern Belle would not want to be seen with a Middle Eastern looking man.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

I wonder if all those white girls at my kids high schools realized that they were dating out of their race!
If you are talking about White girls with Black men then I have said that is the norm in the south and more accepted. Read the thread again, OP is a middle eastern looking guy with a white fiance, that kind of couple (or south asian) does not happen in the south.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:26 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignoreAmante View Post
So we are going to pretend the South is just as accepting as the West Coast in terms of interracial couples like the OP and his fiance?

I know everyone on here wants to promote their area and I am a Southerner more than willing to say the good things about the south. If I am promoting the south I am talking about how well it treats tourists, how good the food is, and how nice some of the beaches there are. I am not going to lie to all the readers and tell them that people in Atlanta will accept an interracial couple involving a Middle Eastern looking guy with a Blonde White female because they will not. Not sure where all the other users are coming up with these fictional interracial couples in the state from but I grew up in the suburbs of Atlanta and lived there for a long time, a couple like the OP and his fiance does not exist there, especially not among the younger crowd (we have a sizable South Asian population as well). Sure people might accept a Black man with a White wife but a foreign looking man like an Arabic or Asian male with a White woman couple will have a very rough time. I am telling it like I have seen it and how my friends have experienced it.

On top of that we are image focused in the south so your typical Southern Belle would not want to be seen with a Middle Eastern looking man.
Speak for yourself man not 6 million people,,,geesh. I have many interracial couple friends here in Atlanta, gay and straight, and they have NEVER had any issues at all. I have an Indian man married to a blonde woman both very happy.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:43 AM

They must have moved there from another city, doubt she is a southern woman.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:18 AM

193 posts, read 356,517 times
Here in the Southern California suburbs, Whites are few and far between, especially young Whites.

Therefore, the OP and his wife would not be regarded as outside the norm.

Most school districts are only about 1% white.

In another generation or two, a couple of two Whites will be extremely rare .

Old 03-26-2014, 11:36 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignoreAmante View Post
They must have moved there from another city, doubt she is a southern woman.
They were BOTH born in Atlanta. What is your problem?

Old 03-26-2014, 11:37 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Good grief, my kids went to a magnet school with a bunch of asian and middle eastern kids, in Memphis. They also attened a local school with tons of black, biracial, and hispanic students. Interracial dating is pretty common.
You know where the real discrimination is? It doesn't come from the kids. The worst discrimination comes from the asian parents, in my experience they are very particular about their kids lives and who they run around with. That is followed closely by income discrimination, parents tend to frown on kids dating someone too far below their own level, regardless of skin color. Maybe you didn't see much interracial dating in your circle, but that doesn't mean it's not happening elsewhere.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:24 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,781 times
I see more interracial couples in Charleston, SC than I did in Rochester, NY...

Old 03-26-2014, 05:48 PM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I see more interracial couples in Charleston, SC than I did in Rochester, NY...
Maybe near the naval base in Charleston as military areas will have quite a few, but in Rochester, you still have your share of interracial couples. My brother in law was in one prior to marrying my sister. You see some in Syracuse and in other Upstate NY areas too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.