Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 09:29 AM

646 posts, read 814,627 times

Advertisements

On a witch hunt today?

If you have, you'd know it's nothing like Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and even Massachusetts. Rhode Island is very distinct as well. Half of Connecticut (more than half of the state's population) is suburban NYC and lacks many characteristics of New England>>

You've never done that about other regions? proclaiming all states with a group are as a monolith?

Maybe it's that filthy New Haven line they're always complaining about on the news and feel ignored.

Sorry but many train stations in CT are very much like that old wooden coffin type just like VT and one attendant saying "uh yep" and closing up to get out before his few passengers have time to check in. Very Twilght Zone.

God knows what he's doing behind that counter all boarded up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Well, StuyTownRefugee's descriptions of new englanders don't sound like any of my relatives. Thankfully.
But I'll bet your ancestors were!!
Well of course not, are they all frozen solid today?

Stiffs? (Just kidding )

Old 12-17-2007, 09:33 AM

See the New England folks have absolutely minus 0 sense of humor!!

Old 12-17-2007, 10:26 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,954,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
I did know a Mainer once. He only calls to wish condolences you well when he sees a relation of yours passed on in an obituary which he reads as many as he can daily. There can be years that go by, not a word, but you can bet if there is a death of someone you know, he leaves a message. Is that some kind of a grim joke?

CREEEPY!!
LOL, I get the joke. You're from DC, after all, people around here find subtle irony funny (not me, to be honest, but I "get" it). Don't be surprised if other people don't find this funny at all, and DON'T get that you just made a joke. They will try to explain to you that the people of Maine simply have good manners.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, I get the joke. You're from DC, after all, people around here find subtle irony funny (not me, to be honest, but I "get" it). Don't be surprised if other people don't find this funny at all, and DON'T get that you just made a joke. They will try to explain to you that the people of Maine simply have good manners.

But people here constantly make off hand remarks about other areas not joking at all, in fact there's no indication that they are joking, just simply saying how they feel. However, they can say they're joking but some regions are supposed to take a lot of flack, and it's so popular for folks to have a pet bash place, use whatever stereotypes or obsolete concepts they feel is okay.

But when the tables are turned............

But no I don't live in DC area. But my post about the proclaimed affluence of the area that was only a quote from articles, not even something I said, really got the ire of some people. They sure do like to jump on the bandwagons to bash others however.

This is really juvenile of some people because Stephen King actually writes fiction doesn't he? Look what NJ people have had to suffer with the Sopes etc, etc. for years. They really don't mind dishing that and many other examples. But much of New England with its towns and villages is quite strange, of course there's Hartford in CT which is of course a very robust city these days, but I'm not a real big sucker for New York or New York area people so no buttered up Vermont syrup with me for there. LOL They're the biggest violators and discriminators of all.

I do think that some people have taken things too personally.

Say something about anywhere and see how fast they rush to defend. However, some folks in some areas are not expected to. Seems very unfair but above all very undemocratic.

By the way, you posted once about a book you wrote, I lost the post and wondered if you had some tips on how someone can get started in writing one. There are many books on the subject but while I'm thinking of it.........

Also I used to live in Redondo Beach btw.

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 12-17-2007 at 10:52 AM..

Old 12-17-2007, 10:52 AM

I'm surprised you don't live around here. Did you use to? Or, maybe have family from around here? Because you've made quite a number of posts about the DC metro area that sound like observations made by a person who's lived here.

Also, where did you live in Redondo Beach? I was there for more than 20 years, we probably went to a lot of the same places.

As for publishing a book, the first step is to determine your audience. Make sure people are likely to buy a book before you start a project!!! Getting a publisher depends on many things, especially genre. Also, you need to get published before a publisher will take you seriously. Write magazine articles, etc. I personally recommend people self publish their first book, to give themselves the best advantage. If your book has a niche audience, self publishing is the best way to go, period.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:

They don't find it funny either when their income levels, quality of life, culture, etc are challenged by other areas either.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I'm surprised you don't live around here. Did you use to? Or, maybe have family from around here? Because you've made quite a number of posts about the DC metro area that sound like observations made by a person who's lived here.

Also, where did you live in Redondo Beach? I was there for more than 20 years, we probably went to a lot of the same places.

As for publishing a book, the first step is to determine your audience. Make sure people are likely to buy a book before you start a project!!! Getting a publisher depends on many things, especially genre. Also, you need to get published before a publisher will take you seriously. Write magazine articles, etc. I personally recommend people self publish their first book, to give themselves the best advantage. If your book has a niche audience, self publishing is the best way to go, period.

Oh yes I've lived there and travel there frequently now on business and pleasure. I've lived there off and on all my life.

I lived off Beryl Ave in Redondo up the hill also later in North Redondo near TRW just before you get to Manhattan Beach. But it was years ago in College out there as undergrad.

Thanks for those pointers. I do have a friend who got a book published, but it didn't do well.

What was the name of your book I'd like to get it if you can post it here. It struck my interest iirc.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:01 AM

By the way, another town we both have connections to is Skaneateles!

Wonder if we've ever stood next to line at the Food Lion or a bus somewhere...

Old 12-17-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
By the way, another town we both have connections to is Skaneateles!

Wonder if we've ever stood next to line at the Food Lion or a bus somewhere...

Are you a man or a woman? I think somewhere you indicated a female and married.

Just think it took Stephen King to bring us together! I've really only ever read one of his books and seen some of his movies. Never cared much for his stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.