Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 02:45 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times

Advertisements

I suppose there are regional differences in humour. Where in the USA do people tend to have a subtle dry sense of humour? I think it's somewhat related to friendliness which is another topic often discussed on C-D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 03:17 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
Maybe in Minnasota, Wisconsin, ND, and SD. I'm guessing because of Garrison Keeler.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:24 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times
Interesting, that is what I had expected. So mostly where you have a significant number of Scandinavian descended people. What about Seattle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Maybe in Minnasota, Wisconsin, ND, and SD. I'm guessing because of Garrison Keeler.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:40 PM

646 posts, read 814,128 times
Which is next to not having a sense of humor at all........almost.

New England areas outside Boston, stepping off a train in Connecticut or VT and Maine is like entering the Twilight Zone in many areas. New England towns read like a Stephen King novel most of the time, if you can detect some sense of humor in his descriptions of the denizens and citizens of these towns. "Down in the Village..........." etc. all these people fast at work doing strange things.,,

said with very dry humor in a sense. But visions of New England Puritanical witch hunts and burnings shake the dry atmosphere. And you can imagine what they would have made of Emily Dickinson''s writings if she hadn't come after those days.

Totally bizarre, all New England from Connecticut up is just too "Stephen King" for me except Boston and Providence environs.

Weird, strange people in strange places and dry senses of humor so dry they're weird and very very defensive and sensitive about their areas.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:44 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Interesting, that is what I had expected. So mostly where you have a significant number of Scandinavian descended people. What about Seattle?
Not Seattle so much. They used to have a hilarious TV show called "Almost Live-" but other than that, not much. I miss subtley dry humor of the midwest.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:25 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
StuyTownRefugee - now, now, as someone who just was in "stephen king country" last month with my family that lives there, you're descriptions are a bit over the top. They are fairly normal people ... well, fairly

Old 12-17-2007, 07:35 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Washington metro area seem to favor ironic humor and witty quips. A lot of people work for the government, and there is a sort of built in humor involved with that. Red tape, top secret clearances, beaurocracy, code-red security alerts, and having to go through security every time you enter a building are just part of everyday life here... and color your sense of humor. So does the double talk that you hear from politicians--we're surrounded by them here. I like puns and can get a laugh telling them here--can't do that everywhere!

The beach cities of southern California had a wacky, imaginative humor that I miss. It was both physical and metaphysical--hard to describe but I can tell certain jokes when I go there that just get strange looks if I try to tell them here.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:40 AM

646 posts, read 814,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
StuyTownRefugee - now, now, as someone who just was in "stephen king country" last month with my family that lives there, you're descriptions are a bit over the top. They are fairly normal people ... well, fairly

If they could ever get over their Puritanical mission kick on steroids whenever they go elsewhere.

I read that some of that New England witch hunt spirit actually transferred and spread way over to Michigan and Chicago from within the same climes.

Actually on their home turf many are quite nice, just strange and austere, clean and creepy as one returned Vermonter told me.

They call people from Maine "Maniacs" in some parts of the country. They're so remote and have absolutely little sense of humor. I did know a Mainer once. He only calls to wish condolences you well when he sees a relation of yours passed on in an obituary which he reads as many as he can daily. There can be years that go by, not a word, but you can bet if there is a death of someone you know, he leaves a message. Is that some kind of a grim joke?

CREEEPY!!

Old 12-17-2007, 08:44 AM

333 posts, read 467,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
Which is next to not having a sense of humor at all........almost.

New England areas outside Boston, stepping off a train in Connecticut or VT and Maine is like entering the Twilight Zone in many areas. New England towns read like a Stephen King novel most of the time, if you can detect some sense of humor in his descriptions of the denizens and citizens of these towns. "Down in the Village..........." etc. all these people fast at work doing strange things.,,

said with very dry humor in a sense. But visions of New England Puritanical witch hunts and burnings shake the dry atmosphere. And you can imagine what they would have made of Emily Dickinson''s writings if she hadn't come after those days.

Totally bizarre, all New England from Connecticut up is just too "Stephen King" for me except Boston and Providence environs.

Weird, strange people in strange places and dry senses of humor so dry they're weird and very very defensive and sensitive about their areas.
I'd have to agree that your observations are obviously met with bias.

You claim from Connecticut on up is very "Stephen King" excluding the Boston and Providence areas, which consists of a very good percentage of southern New England. Have you been to Connecticut? If you have, you'd know it's nothing like Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and even Massachusetts. Rhode Island is very distinct as well. Half of Connecticut (more than half of the state's population) is suburban NYC and lacks many characteristics of New England. Even then, eastern CT and western MA don't fit the "Stephen King" picture you're trying to create.

I'm not going to comment on VT, NH and ME (as I find people up there a bit wacky sometimes too) but CT residents being "Stephen King?" Hah, hardly. More 'commute to Manahttan' yuppies than anything.

I'm sorry that your comments are so jaded.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:48 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
Well, StuyTownRefugee's descriptions of new englanders don't sound like any of my relatives. Thankfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.