Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2020, 11:46 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,439,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Believe it or not, I like to consider DC its own creature. That was, after all, its purpose. To not be northern or southern, just American. Hence its capital status and unique laws.
This is understandable and I actually do agree with you on this, but for the sake of this thread, from a cultural and infrastructure standpoint, DC has every characteristic of a northeastern city, not a southern city. I am okay with it not being labeled Southern nor Northern, but unfortunately this never seems to happen here on CD, some will always argue that DC is either Southern or Northern, I have never seen anyone state that DC is neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 11:47 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,439,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah New England is very different from the rest of the Northeast for sure.

I like to divide the Northeast up into the Mid-Atlantic and New England. Mid Atlantic including NY NJ PA MD DC DE and maybe VA.
This is by far the most common sense description of I seen, THANK YOU!

Old 01-14-2020, 11:48 AM

8,586 posts, read 4,835,454 times
Yeah DC, like Maryland, is a hard one for me. It feels largely though not totally northeastern, but it doesn’t enter my head as a Northeastern place.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:08 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,573,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Hm interesting. I wasn’t quite aware of that divide.
Yeah, New England and the "western Northeast" are largely separated by culture and class.

Vermont and far eastern NY being an exception as they have melded into one another over time.

New England is generally better kept up. With a more stable economy and less run-down abandonment in its borders. NY, PA and NJ, despite having some very wealthy reputations, contain a lot of rural and urban decay and tend to harbor a greater number of self identified northern rednecks. We also have a greater connection to the Midwest.

Then you have Maine. While officially part of New England and the US it is a bit more like maritime Canada (and in terms of socio-economic condition, it is the New England state that most closely resembles western NY and central PA).

Old 01-14-2020, 04:27 PM

12,239 posts, read 8,160,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Yeah, New England and the "western Northeast" are largely separated by culture and class.

Vermont and far eastern NY being an exception as they have melded into one another over time.

New England is generally better kept up. With a more stable economy and less run-down abandonment in its borders. NY, PA and NJ, despite having some very wealthy reputations, contain a lot of rural and urban decay and tend to harbor a greater number of self identified northern rednecks. We also have a greater connection to the Midwest.

Then you have Maine. While officially part of New England and the US it is a bit more like maritime Canada (and in terms of socio-economic condition, it is the New England state that most closely resembles western NY and central PA).
Yeah why is rural PA, NY, and nJ so different from rural MA/VT/CT? It seems like once you cross into New England it changes from confederate flags and rednecks to liberals and prunes. I went to school in upstate NY and the place was just so backwards in it's rural communities.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:35 PM

2,758 posts, read 2,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
I agree with this, DC and its surrounding metro is in every shape and form a NORTHEASTERN city, there is just no way that this can be debated, if you compare DC to an actual southern city like Charlotte, the differences are DRAMATIC and quite distinct.. Hence everything from DC and northward IS part of the Northeast.
This isn’t true. DC area has substantial similarities to the southeast. Maryland and DC have aspects of the northeast and south.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:24 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,756,261 times
Quote:
Yeah New England is very different from the rest of the Northeast for sure.

I like to divide the Northeast up into the Mid-Atlantic and New England. Mid Atlantic including NY NJ PA MD DC DE and maybe VA.
This is what I do as well.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:54 PM

9,200 posts, read 13,313,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
On a purely state level, it is MD, PA, NJ, DE, NY and New England to me.
Bingo!

Old 01-14-2020, 07:19 PM

9,200 posts, read 13,313,066 times
Quote:
Yeah why is rural PA, NY, and nJ so different from rural MA/VT/CT? It seems like once you cross into New England it changes from confederate flags and rednecks to liberals and prunes. I went to school in upstate NY and the place was just so backwards in it's rural communities.
This is an excellent question! I been wondering the same thing myself.

I have a couple of theories myself, the biggest one is that the hinderlands of New York and Pennsylvania are much more working rural then most of New England.

For example, look at these stats on farmland in the 6 New England states versus New York and Pennsylvania.
https://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/

New England
Area: 72,000 square miles
Farmland: 3,870,000 acres (2018)

New York
Area: 54,000 square miles
Farmland: 6,900,000 acres

Pennsylvania
Area: 46,000 square miles
Farmland: 7,300,000 acres

So even though New York has only about 75% of New England area, New York still has more than 3,000,000 more acres in agriculture, helping indicate how much of a working rural environment New York has. In the case of Pennsylvania and New England, the difference is stunning, Pennsylvania has close to twice the amount of acreage, despite having a much smaller land area.

Another reason is that New England's reputation of small town charm attract middle class and upper middle class retirees, weekenders and tourists which bring money into the rural regions.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:06 PM

10,123 posts, read 10,034,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
This isn’t true. DC area has substantial similarities to the southeast. Maryland and DC have aspects of the northeast and south.
Some aspects of the Northeast are also aspects of the South. People are looking at it wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.