Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 04:55 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times

Advertisements

How 'bout some love for Acadia!

(my pix)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 12:06 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,121,823 times
Mount Rainier, North Cascades, Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountain, Redwood.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:26 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,861 times
The Badlands are pretty breathtaking…you don't expect to see this type of topography in South Dakota. From the Badlands, you can drive an additional 84 miles, and visit Mt. Rushmore National Park. Both are awe-inspiring, and worth the visit.

https://www.google.com/search?q=badl...w=1324&bih=873

https://www.google.com/search?q=mt.+...w=1324&bih=895

Old 03-13-2016, 09:54 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
I consider Bryce Canyon my favorite "National Park". It was part of a 30 day adventure from the West Coast to The East Coast in 1984... I might wake up tomorrow and change my mind.

I have no "Least Favorite".

How many "National Parks" are there? I don't know, there are over 400, here is a good list: Find A Park with Our National Parks Map | National Park Foundation It also shows the National Trails, Monuments, Historical Parks, etc.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:05 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
I am not a big fan of the National Parks, but I have a real fascination with Yellowstone, largely because of the geology/geothermal activity and wildlife aspects.

Also, I have neve been, but I would like to check out Acadia sometime. I love the heavily indented, rocky coastlines of the Northeast.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
I can't believe how popular Zion and Bryce are (per your experience). The purpose of going to a national park is to get some peace and quiet while enjoying the beauty. Maybe I'll have to go during a shoulder season or even winter. Capitol Reef is on my radar.
The National Parks make up a tiny fraction of America's protected 'wild' lands. If you are looking for peace and quiet while enjoying nature, you are not limited to the National Parks.In fact, you may more easily find what you are looking for outside the NP system.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I am not a big fan of the National Parks, but I have a real fascination with Yellowstone, largely because of the geology/geothermal activity and wildlife aspects.

Also, I have neve been, but I would like to check out Acadia sometime. I love the heavily indented, rocky coastlines of the Northeast.
If you like rocky coasts, Acadia is your ticket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u38YSOj00

And regarding Yellowstone - it is amazing. We spent a full week there and didn't run of of things to do.

Why I'm posting however, is to hear why you are not a fan of the NPs? Too many people?

Old 03-13-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
If you like rocky coasts, Acadia is your ticket:

Why I'm posting however, is to hear why you are not a fan of the NPs? Too many people?
Pretty much. While they are remarkable places, they are too popular and in parts overdeveloped and overused for my tastes.

I generally prefer National Forest areas, especially those off the beaten path. Then, I am looking for backcountry, not picnic tables.

That doesn't mean I think NPs are not worth visiting, though. They are just not the experience I am looking for more often than not.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:34 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Great thread!

Loved Grand Teton, Yosemite, Zion, Smoky Mountains, Grand Canyon

Liked Badlands, Yellowstone, Saguaro

Want to see Acadia, Glacier, Redwood, some others.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Pretty much. While they are remarkable places, they are too popular and in parts overdeveloped and overused for my tastes.

I generally prefer National Forest areas, especially those off the beaten path. Then, I am looking for backcountry, not picnic tables.

That doesn't mean I think NPs are not worth visiting, though. They are just not the experience I am looking for more often than not.
Thanks - makes sense. When I was younger, I used to backpack and sleep under to stars on occasion, so I understand the attraction to remote beauty. Now that I'm older, picnic tables and warm beds suit me better. We tend to travel in shouldler season, however, when the parks are less crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.