Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 12:51 PM

60 posts, read 64,271 times

Advertisements

I'm a 40-year-old, never married woman with no children who is planning to relocate for economic reasons (I need a better job). I'd also like to move somewhere where my chances of getting married are above average.

While the general consensus is that the East Coast cities, like New York and Washington D.C., are awful for women and the West Coast cities are great, I've been told that West Coast cities like LA and San Francisco are nightmares when it comes to finding a sane, levelheaded guy.

I'm not extremely picky here, either: looks don't matter to me; what's important is that my mate be fairly intelligent, sane, and have a kind, gentle heart and some source of income to ensure our kids aren't running around naked.

I'd like to live someplace fairly liberal, affordable and friendly. Additionally the four seasons don't bother me too, too much. I've been looking at moving to the Chicago area, so I'd appreciate any feedback on that area that you may have.

Any thoughts on this matter are most welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 04:07 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
Have you checked out single sites, to get an idea of what's out there?

You can probably do research on this site to see the ratio of men vs women in all the states.

I met my SO on the internet while living in NJ and I think that area has everything you're looking for except it's expensive to live there.

What state do you live in now?

Old 04-17-2007, 04:36 PM

449 posts, read 1,125,894 times
Living Single-if you find a great area-with plenty of available Single men let me know-lol. Where are you-I can tell you to rule out eastern carolina. I think alaska might be a good bet if you can handle the weather-remember me if you get any good feedback.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:54 PM

469 posts, read 2,735,933 times
I've also heard Alaska is an excellent place to find a mate if you like 'em outdoorsy! You'd probably also have to like the weather and isolation from the rest of the USA.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:24 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
I'm in the same boat, but I'm 30. I dont know the right answer, but I can tell you the chicago area is not great for dating. You might have better luck but my personal experience is that the west (not neccessarily the coasts, but also the coastal cities like la and sf) is better. I would bet money that Denver would be better than Chicago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been in the Chicago area most of my life, by the way. I lived for awhile in other areas and California was my favorite...but I seem to have the best luck keeping my options open to anywhere...there are a lot of good single men out there but you have to keep your eyes open. Personally -- I think eharmony is the way to go, and be open about location.

but...if I had to pick a location -- not chicago!! I would look into Denver, Sacramento, Montana (missoula or billings, or bozeman) Fort Collins, Flagstaff, San Diego and possibly San Francisco. Those would be my top choices but that also takes a little bit into account the kinds of places I would like also...rather there are probably more cities but they are not places I would want to move (ie portland, seattle, or places in new england -- I would only go there if I was moving WITH someone

good luck.

ps. western, mountain states do tend to have more men in than then women....look up the stats and Illinois....does not, I think chicago would be comparable to nyc when it comes to dating.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:29 AM

188 posts, read 810,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingSingle123 View Post
I'm a 40-year-old, never married woman with no children who is planning to relocate for economic reasons (I need a better job). I'd also like to move somewhere where my chances of getting married are above average.

While the general consensus is that the East Coast cities, like New York and Washington D.C., are awful for women and the West Coast cities are great, I've been told that West Coast cities like LA and San Francisco are nightmares when it comes to finding a sane, levelheaded guy.

I'm not extremely picky here, either: looks don't matter to me; what's important is that my mate be fairly intelligent, sane, and have a kind, gentle heart and some source of income to ensure our kids aren't running around naked.

I'd like to live someplace fairly liberal, affordable and friendly. Additionally the four seasons don't bother me too, too much. I've been looking at moving to the Chicago area, so I'd appreciate any feedback on that area that you may have.

Any thoughts on this matter are most welcome.

Ladies if you find that man im happy for you , if i knew where they all were i would tell you ,
If your ment to have a partner in life it will happen is all i say , I was 35 plus before i found my wife & at the time i was not looking as i thought i missed the boat.

I guess what im saying is if you look to hard & thats all thats on your mind you may never find that ( Mr Right ) .
My wise old grandmother told me the older you get the more you become set in your ways n picky , so when you think you have found that man just go easy dont be too picky as both of you maybe set in your ways go slow , if your too picky he will look for the exit door .

( I'm not extremely picky ) to a man like me means your very picky , im not having a go at you just pick something a little more soft than the word "extremely"
if a man asks you if your picky , a white lie is in order until you get to know each other better you answer should be ( at times i can be picky but most times im not ) that will get you to the next step.

I tell you this (cuz a clever man would have the same kind of answers ) as it takes a little time to get to know one another , you need to keep in mind that your both out there looking for the same thing.

Good luck to you if you want more insight u can send me a pm

Old 04-18-2007, 07:03 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
You can find a mate anywhere. It all depends on what you are open to and how you present yourself to other people. Have you checked out any online dating sites? If not, you should try that and be very specific and picky about what you are looking for. When you least expect it and in a place you don't think you're going to find anyone, you just might meet Mr. Right!

Old 04-18-2007, 07:05 AM

606 posts, read 698,620 times
Have you considered cities in Texas?

Old 04-18-2007, 07:44 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
My brother is single and looking!

Old 04-18-2007, 09:13 AM

592 posts, read 2,809,195 times
I know Rance has openly encouraged women to move to Sterling AK.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.