Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is more conservative?
New England 54 48.65%
Pacific Northwest (OR & WA) 57 51.35%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 11:30 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,215,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I don't really think Americans are. A lot of Republican-leaning states these days seem just fine with being one-party states. Witness Kansas re-electing Sam Brownback (by an admittedly small margin) in 2014 even though he was a miserable failure as governor (he now has an 18% approval rating). It's just Democratic-leaning states that occasionally want to "throw the bums out" or "teach the machine a lesson."
I wouldn't be surprised if Democrats start performing better at the state level when there is a Republican in the White House. Some voters may consider having their state fully controlled by one party as a counter-balance to the (admittedly mixed) federal control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 01:21 PM

31,081 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Democrats start performing better at the state level when there is a Republican in the White House. Some voters may consider having their state fully controlled by one party as a counter-balance to the (admittedly mixed) federal control.
Good point, I would prefer they cancel each other out, because if they are passing laws and Bills we are the ones that are paying for it.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:21 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Good point, I would prefer they cancel each other out, because if they are passing laws and Bills we are the ones that are paying for it.
I'd argue it's better to have a government functioning - actually implementing policy - even if I disagree with it. Either the policies will work, and they will be re-elected, or voters will quickly learn they are disastrous. Either is better than perpetual sniping about issues that are never resolved one way or the other.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:50 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,095,371 times
New England...just because it doesn't vote Republican doesn't mean it isn't conservative. You have to look at it from the broad perspective of what each party represents. It votes for Democrats because they align with the whole notion of community and more comfort with government regulation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...o-you-live-in/

Old 10-28-2015, 03:01 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times
The PNW is definitely more conservative than New England. Conservatism is not limited to issues such as unions, taxes, wages, labor, etc. Almost ALL of the New England states were quick to legalize gay marriage much earlier than the PNW states. And almost ALL counties in New England are blue, even in rural areas. Can't say the same for the PNW.

New England is the most liberal region in the U.S., tied with California, I'd say.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:36 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,969,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The PNW is definitely more conservative than New England. Conservatism is not limited to issues such as unions, taxes, wages, labor, etc. Almost ALL of the New England states were quick to legalize gay marriage much earlier than the PNW states. And almost ALL counties in New England are blue, even in rural areas. Can't say the same for the PNW.

New England is the most liberal region in the U.S., tied with California, I'd say.
And from what I understand, isn't the Pacific Northwest more fiscally conservative than New England? Mass has a universal health system, and Washington state has the most regressive taxation scheme in America. Oregon lacks a sales tax, but has a very high income tax. Overall Oregon's tax burden on the poor is quite low, but the social services, schools, etc are also not very good.

I'd say the Pacific Northwest is more conservative all around, though as a state New Hampshire is probably more conservative than either Oregon or Washington. However, it's far more liberal than Idaho.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
And from what I understand, isn't the Pacific Northwest more fiscally conservative than New England? Mass has a universal health system, and Washington state has the most regressive taxation scheme in America. Oregon lacks a sales tax, but has a very high income tax. Overall Oregon's tax burden on the poor is quite low, but the social services, schools, etc are also not very good.
Massachusetts has a flat income tax, though its social benefits are higher than most states. The Pacific Northwest also has the death penalty, New England mostly doesn't. Part of the difference is historical; the Pacific Northwest was historically more conservative and those policies were set decades ago and are hard to change.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Massachusetts has a flat income tax, though its social benefits are higher than most states. The Pacific Northwest also has the death penalty, New England mostly doesn't. Part of the difference is historical; the Pacific Northwest was historically more conservative and those policies were set decades ago and are hard to change.
I don't know if the Pacific Northwest transplants are necessarily making the region more liberal. Generally the Californian diaspora is more conservative than the people who have stayed put in California. Not sure about people from other parts of the country moving to Portland and Seattle though. Lots of "lifestyle" transplants attracted to the Portlandia image, but I'm not sure their numbers are large enough to significantly change political trends.

I could be wrong, but I don't see a conservative surge in New England the way Wisconsin is becoming redder.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:56 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I don't know if the Pacific Northwest transplants are necessarily making the region more liberal. Generally the Californian diaspora is more conservative than the people who have stayed put in California. Not sure about people from other parts of the country moving to Portland and Seattle though. Lots of "lifestyle" transplants attracted to the Portlandia image, but I'm not sure their numbers are large enough to significantly change political trends.

I could be wrong, but I don't see a conservative surge in New England the way Wisconsin is becoming redder.
New England is the only region in the nation that has states in which EVERY county is blue. This applies to Vermont, Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

New England has 67 counties in total. 62 of them are blue. 5 are red.

I believe CT, RI and VT are 100% Democratically controlled at both the governor level and legislature level.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
New England is the only region in the nation that has states in which EVERY county is blue. This applies to Vermont, Rhode Island and Massachusetts.

New England has 67 counties in total. 62 of them are blue. 5 are red.
Yet for some reason, people stubbornly want to believe that every single person on the West Coast is a pie in the sky bleeding heart hippie, even though the baaaaad ignorant East Coast is outdoing them on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.