Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is more conservative?
New England 54 48.65%
Pacific Northwest (OR & WA) 57 51.35%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:26 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,533,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Definitely! I find it interesting that forested places tend to be more liberal, with the exception of the South.
Well, there are some forests in the Driftless, but it's primarily a caucasian farming region. There are a multitude of reasons for it voting blue, including being the 2nd largest organic farming region in the country, the ethnic make-up, the progressive political history of the Upper Midwest, the unique geography of the Driftless, etc. The Iron Range of MN/WI/MI is also more blue than red, this due more to union history (Bob Dylan is from the Iron Range).

For the OP - PNW easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:37 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times
I have also heard that some parts of the PNW have some people who are very Christian fundamentalist in-your-face about religion. In all my 28 years of living in New England, I have never once even witnessed this. Ever. Most people don't even go to church or talk about church....ever. New England is indeed a very live and let live place. We have very liberal policies (for American standards anyway), virtually no politicians that want to infuse religion with politics. Even New England conservatives are considered too centrist/liberal by American standards. Virtually all counties -- urban or rural -- are solidly blue. We do have our fair share of hicks (i.e. rednecks), but for some reason they don't seem as bad as the ones you would see in places like Kentucky, Mississippi or Texas.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:41 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I have also heard that some parts of the PNW have some people who are very Christian fundamentalist in-your-face about religion. In all my 28 years of living in New England, I have never once even witnessed this. Ever. Most people don't even go to church or talk about church....ever. New England is indeed a very live and let live place. We have very liberal policies (for American standards anyway), virtually no politicians that want to infuse religion with politics. Even New England conservatives are considered too centrist/liberal by American standards. Virtually all counties -- urban or rural -- are solidly blue. We do have our fair share of hicks (i.e. rednecks), but for some reason they don't seem as bad as the ones you would see in places like Kentucky, Mississippi or Texas.
I don't think that's true. If anything the Pacific Northwest might be less churched, though the eastern Pacific Northwest may be different.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:58 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,131,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Oregon voted against same sex marriage and even changed its constitution to ban it when more liberal Portland allowed it for a short period of time in 2004. It's up again in November's election and is being supported by the many transplants from the East and California but polls have shown that the natives are now saying that they might change their minds because it's the way the tide is turning and voting against it might be hurting tourism in the areas that depend upon it.
Actually, whether or not Oregon has a referendum on allowing same-sex marriage doesn't matter anymore. As a result of a court ruling, Same-sex marriage has been legal since May 19, 2014.

- skbl17

Old 09-16-2014, 12:07 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't think that's true. If anything the Pacific Northwest might be less churched, though the eastern Pacific Northwest may be different.
Outside the major cities in Oregon and Washington there's plenty of conservative Christians and a good number of Evangelical and born-again types. Also there's pockets of Mormons including some areas of the Portland suburbs. People think of Portland=Oregon, but Portland is sort of an anomaly for the state. You can go to Clackamas County just to south of Portland and where the richer suburbs end, you're in country territory---and there's even huge annual rodeos.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Outside the major cities in Oregon and Washington there's plenty of conservative Christians and a good number of Evangelical and born-again types. Also there's pockets of Mormons including some areas of the Portland suburbs. People think of Portland=Oregon, but Portland is sort of an anomaly for the state. You can go to Clackamas County just to south of Portland and where the richer suburbs end, you're in country territory---and there's even huge annual rodeos.
I traveled through rural western Oregon, though a bit briefly. It didn't strike as a particularly liberal place, but neither did it seem rather bible-belt like, unlike some of the Great Plains or midwest. But this link shows Oregon has an above average % of white evangelicals. But Maine and New Hampshire aren't that much lower. (All those states numbers are boosted as they have few non-whites). South Dakota is lower, but many of the devout types are lutheran, which technically isn't evangelical.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/2004...otestants.aspx

At the other extreme, New York State and Connecticut have more Black Protestants than White Evangelicals.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:42 PM

VT and NH are the least religious states in the country.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:03 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,599,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
As someone who recently moved to small town Eastern WA from Seattle, I can definitely say the church is a bit more prominent on this side of the Cascades. However, it is almost entirely Catholic, with some Lutheran in the mix. I still have yet to see any evangelical Christianity out here, the way one does in the "bible belt" areas of the South and Southern Midwest. There is a slight Mormon presence out here, but they're a minority. Like I said, mostly Catholic, though these aren't your standard liberal/Democrat Catholics. It is quite conservative on this side of the state. Not as hardcore Conservative as Idaho though. Once you cross that state line, the conservative vibe kicks up about 20 notches.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 3,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
New England is pretty social and politically liberal. Almost all New England states are blue. I was one of the few GOP backers when I lived in Massachusetts but I am now an independent. I heard the Pac Northwest is even more socially and politically liberal than New England but I don't know for a fact because I never been to the Pac Northwest.

My end of Connecticut is rather conservative, as it continues to be toward the "boondocks" of Rhode Island. It depends on the region in both cases. Sure, we end up blue overall because of Hartford and below's population but a good deal of Northern CT is pretty darn conservative.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missariana View Post
My end of Connecticut is rather conservative, as it continues to be toward the "boondocks" of Rhode Island. It depends on the region in both cases. Sure, we end up blue overall because of Hartford and below's population but a good deal of Northern CT is pretty darn conservative.
7 of 8 counties in CT voted for Obama in 2012. The only one that didn't is Litchfield County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.