Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 12:36 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
But let's honest

... no one wants to buy a plane ticket to the US to go to Dallas, or visit Raleigh NC, or Spend a week discovering the culture of Phoenix or Denver (most people think those places are typical middle America, land of shopping malls, suburbias and walmarts!)
I am talking about cities that truly are worth visiting!!! Cities that are big, and offer tons of cultural activities, an eclectic lifestyle, cities with personality, a local cuisine, a local culture!!!!

Does this list make sense?

Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles
San Diego
Las Vegas
Houston
New Orleans
Chicago
Detroit (used to be one of the top)
Miami
DC
Philadelphia
New York city
Boston

Any other city to add?
So... you'll bash Dallas and see it as less (or non) important, but you'll put down Houston on your list, another city that people associate with shopping malls, suburbias, and Walmarts...?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 12:49 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
To an outsider, Houston = Dallas

Old 10-13-2014, 12:53 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
The 20 U.S. cities most visited by international visitors in 2013 are as follows (in millions):

New York City 29.9

Los Angeles Metro 13.3
Miami 12.5
Orlando 11.6

San Francisco 9.5
Las Vegas 8.9
Honolulu 8.0

Washington D.C. 5.3
Chicago 4.3
Boston 4.0

San Diego 2.6
Houston 2.5
Philadelphia 2.1
Atlanta 1.8
Seattle 1.5
Tampa Bay Area 1.4
Dallas Metro 1.4
San Jose 1.3

Old 10-13-2014, 12:55 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
NYC
LA
DC
Chicago
To this list I would definitely San Francisco (which appears in movies which foreigners see) and perhaps Miami (or Orlando because of Disney World).

Old 10-13-2014, 01:31 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
You're thinking domestically. The op stated internationally.... DC is more known internationally than New Orleans. People fall inlove with DC aswell, with it's historic beauty and amentities.

Btw Miami is also more known than New Orleans but by the looks of your comments I can tell you're a homer and that you live in New Orleans so you will make any argument valid or not to prove your point
I'm not thinking domestically at all, as evidenced by my post.
I didn't say it wasn't more known, I'm thinking more romantically. I've been objective on this thread so I don't see your point there. I don't live in New Orleans either, never have.

It's a hard sell to prove that people fall in love with DC the same way people fall in love with New Orleans, Savannah, or Charleston. That's my point.

Everyone in America has heard of Tokyo and know it's in Japan, but what average American (not on City-Data or competitor sites) really know anything about Tokyo or Mexico City?
I don't think many people in Germany know about Go-Go and Georgetown or other popular neighborhoods like they would know about Bourbon St, Mardi Gras, famous cuisine, and the French Quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
The 20 U.S. cities most visited by international visitors in 2013 are as follows (in millions):

New York City 29.9

Los Angeles Metro 13.3
Miami 12.5
Orlando 11.6

San Francisco 9.5
Las Vegas 8.9
Honolulu 8.0

Washington D.C. 5.3
Chicago 4.3
Boston 4.0

San Diego 2.6
Houston 2.5
Philadelphia 2.1
Atlanta 1.8
Seattle 1.5
Tampa Bay Area 1.4
Dallas Metro 1.4
San Jose 1.3
Yes but how many of these were dragged there by their jobs?
I'm sure a few of those New York visitors absolutely hate going to such a big city, same with every city on the list.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:58 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
So... you'll bash Dallas and see it as less (or non) important, but you'll put down Houston on your list, another city that people associate with shopping malls, suburbias, and Walmarts...?

FIFY:

Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles
San Diego
Las Vegas
Ft Worth
New Orleans
Chicago
Detroit (used to be one of the top)
Miami
DC
Philadelphia
New York city
Boston

Happy now?

Old 10-13-2014, 02:00 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
To an outsider, Houston = Dallas
Yup.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:03 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I don't think many people in Germany know about Go-Go and Georgetown or other popular neighborhoods like they would know about Bourbon St, Mardi Gras, famous cuisine, and the French Quarter.
DC is known as capital of the most powerful country on the planet, known for the white house, the president, the monuments, etc.

No one knows about go go music, and Georgetown is just a neighborhood.

And yeah, I think DC is better known than NOLA. Probably by a lot. It might not be as beloved as NOLA, but it's known.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:10 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
DC is known as capital of the most powerful country on the planet, known for the white house, the president, the monuments, etc.

No one knows about go go music, and Georgetown is just a neighborhood.

And yeah, I think DC is better known than NOLA. Probably by a lot. It might not be as beloved as NOLA, but it's known.
True about go go, it's not well known even in the northeast region and has remained a local thing (which is cool, but not notable or internationally recognized).

People do in fact know about Georgetown, which has Georgetown University, a notable school with a well-known basketball team. This would be much moreso domestically, however.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:17 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Perhaps this is a generational thing, but in my experience traveling overseas, many foreigners I talked to saw Memphis as being pretty iconic, for the simple reason that it's the "official" birthplace of Rock and Roll, and the home of Elvis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.