Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 06:39 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times

Advertisements

He sounds racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 09:09 PM

29 posts, read 39,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
He sounds racist.

Exactly ^^^ the type of contemporary precedent I am trying to 'escape'.

No military towns. Not my bag, but the rest of the suggestions are all solid, and if anyone else has anything to add, I'm absorbing all of the different perspectives, and everyone's been really helpful. .

Please do not post in here if you are not genuinely trying to help me find a location that suits me. I'm not interested in the blight of political correctness mucking up a well-meaning and productive stream of feedback.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:15 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
Colorado Springs sounds right up your alley. It's a beautiful military town, great location and an EXCELLENT school (Air Force).

Salt Lake City or Provo are nice as well. Great skiing at Provo and great school (BYU).

Old 10-16-2014, 09:26 PM

34 posts, read 44,406 times
What about Virginia Beach or Norfolk?

Old 10-17-2014, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The changes I witnessed in Portland over the years were sad for me to observe but people who are there now like it so they are in the driver's seat now. I am glad I experienced the city in the decades when it was really unique, interesting and unpretentious at a time when the word "trendy" was not yet been even invented.

I don't know about the smaller western cities that have been suggested although I have heard some like Boise and Salt Lake City might sound like what you are looking for. I am partial to the Midwest though.

There are some online tests you can take where you plug in your likes and dislikes in a city and that can lead you to places you might like. I remember a long time ago using a website called "Find Your Spot" before Cleveland was even on my radar but Cleveland was one of the top picks it made for me. Turns out it was correct. Who knew?

So true. I only wish I was there to have seen the city before it turned into a hollowed-out, meaningless, Californian vestige of trendy, snobby superiority.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Definitely. I bet Wanderlust Wisdom would just love the Twin Cities, Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago, or Detroit.

In all honesty, try these cities:

Smaller cities:
Billings, MT
Colorado Springs, CO
Oklahoma City, OK
Wichita, KS
Tallahassee, FL
Greenville, SC
Charleston, WV
Evansville, IN
Jacksonville, FL
Lafayette, LA
Anchorage, AK

Not-so-smaller cities:
Phoenix, AZ

Very cohesive list and much obliged li'l lady. -tips hat-

Old 10-17-2014, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
New Orleans or Baton Rouge.
New Orleans has its share of Californian encroachers from what I've heard as of late. And Baton Rouge I've been through and enjoyed, but I want to avoid college towns as they tend to run a bit young in their social strata for my more mature tastes.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Every city is going to have some measure of diversity, It doesn't seem like the OP talking from a racial component so much as an Ideological one.

Right on the money, and precisely why I'm not so much as acknowledging any of the sh&#-stirrers who want to try to angle this a certain way and demonize my personal preferences and what feels right for me.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:41 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Perhaps Interior Northeastern cities may work. Another small Upstate NY city I thought of that may work is Auburn. It still has your ethnic clubs, with a nice, walkable Downtown. It is on/near a Finger Lake and is pretty laid back. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9317...onLab36Elg!2e0

Here's a streetview of Watertown, NY: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9745...2dAbN6YOEg!2e0

Perhaps a city like Scranton, PA may work as well: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4090...MhBcSlqD3A!2e0

Old 10-17-2014, 08:14 AM

350 posts, read 848,477 times
Top 50 metros from most to least "manly" America's Manliest Cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.