Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:53 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Yeah, but he's the president . A lot of things he does we can't/don't do. He doesn't fly commercial

My wife's from there and so we go back quite a bit. Still a suburb. We always use LAX and I'm sure a majority does also.
You are very sadly mistaken -- the vast majority of people who live in Long Beach and surrounding communities fly in and out of LGB, not LAX. However, you wouldn't know that because you don't live in Long Beach.

Don't sicken me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 10:56 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
You are very sadly mistaken -- the vast majority of people who live in Long Beach and surrounding communities fly in and out of LGB, not LAX. However, you wouldn't know that because you don't live in Long Beach.

Don't sicken me.
A significant portion, yes, but I highly doubt it is a majority considering LGB's rather limited flight options compared to LAX and SNA.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:47 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post

Don't sicken me.
Happy Thanksgiving

Old 11-27-2014, 10:50 AM

346 posts, read 647,275 times
Long Beach dates to 1897, when Los Angeles was a far smaller city that was well up the road. Los Angeles exploded in size after 1920, but Long Beach is not a classic mid-twentieth century suburb that formed when families "escaped" the crowded city for single-family homes. It is a port and industrial city - kind of like Oakland in relation to San Francisco.

A true suburb, in my book, formed well after the core city was a large, well-established, and densely populated city, and from the beginning, had a dependent relationship with the core.

One interesting case is the Hampton Roads area, where Norfolk and Newport News are the older core cities. In size and population, they are now dwarfed by Virginia Beach. Virginia Beach has many attributed of a "suburb" of the older Hampton Roads cities - but is now the largest city in Virginia. Virginia Beach was incorporated in 1952, and took off in population around that time.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:05 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,890 times
I still think San Jose is more of a Suburb, maybe not in the classic sense, but still a suburb of San Francisco. San Jose expanded greatly due to it's nearby San Francisco. A lot of people commute up to SF from there. Also, a lot of people commute to silicon valley from San Jose. It is interesting to note that a lot of technology and computer startup and businesses are popping up in SO SF. San Jose has all the same local stations as SF does. It brings up an interesting point. Is Hayward, Fremont, Palo Alto suburbs of SJ or SF?

Someone else mention Mississauga which also is a suburb, but not in the classic sense. It has a respectable skyline. Is Oakland a suburb of SF? Is Bellevue a suburb of Seattle? What about Tacoma?

Old 02-05-2015, 12:40 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post

Someone else mention Mississauga which also is a suburb, but not in the classic sense. It has a respectable skyline. Is Oakland a suburb of SF? Is Bellevue a suburb of Seattle? What about Tacoma?
Tacoma was a separate Primary Metropolitan Statistical Area (PMSA) from Seattle prior to 2003, and was grouped into a larger Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area (CMSA) with the Seattle and Olympia PMSAs. The Seattle and Tacoma PMSAs were merged into one MSA in 2003, while Olympia remained separate although still grouped into a larger Combined Statistical Area (CSA) with the Seattle-Tacoma MSA.

Today, in addition to the Seattle-Tacoma and Olympia MSAs, the Seattle CSA also includes the Mount Vernon-Anacortes and Bremerton-Silverdale MSAs as well as the Oak Harbor, Centralia, and Shelton Micropolitan Statistical Areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.