Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 05:04 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

I mean, it's just so hard to get an idea of what places would be great for me to live in. For example, one person will say that a particular place is a great place to live, but another person will chime in and say that they hated living there or whatever. One person will say that moving down south is the best decision they ever made, while another person will say that they tried it, hated it, and moved back north. Or maybe one person says that they love living in a large metropolitan area, while another person says that they prefer living in a smaller area.

I mean, how the heck are people supposed to make decisions like this, when they get mixed signals?!

It seems hard to get uniformity and agreement on this website. And it seems like EVERY place has pros and cons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 05:09 PM

93,367 posts, read 124,009,048 times
It is important to be your own person and weight the pros and cons. You are going to get such feedback with any area and you have to just think about what is the most important thing to you.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:09 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Message boards are places to get opinions. Apparently, what you're seeking is objective analysis.

There's another site that we're not allowed to link to here that has analysis.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:11 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
The forum is simply a microcosm of life, in general. If you walked into a restaurant and asked each guest for their own input regarding a specific question, I'm sure they'd have varied opinions. Obviously you should take their opinions down, go experience it for yourself, and go from there. Different strokes for different folks. What's hard about that?

Old 11-24-2014, 05:14 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,401,275 times
Different people have different opinions and different views on things. Some people move to the south and love it. Especially if they're older and looking for a slower pace lifestyle. Some people move to the south and hate it and miss being further north. Some people move up North and hate it.

I mean, in life in general we all have different opinions. In some aspects that's what makes reading this forum interesting.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Let's see u want personal opinion but want them all to be the same?

Old 11-24-2014, 05:15 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I mean, it's just so hard to get an idea of what places would be great for me to live in. For example, one person will say that a particular place is a great place to live, but another person will chime in and say that they hated living there or whatever. One person will say that moving down south is the best decision they ever made, while another person will say that they tried it, hated it, and moved back north. Or maybe one person says that they love living in a large metropolitan area, while another person says that they prefer living in a smaller area.

I mean, how the heck are people supposed to make decisions like this, when they get mixed signals?!

It seems hard to get uniformity and agreement on this website. And it seems like EVERY place has pros and cons.
OMG what a weird concept huh.....

I would hope you have an idea of what you like and don't like, you can use other people's opinions to see if that's something you might say yourself. Example, if you love 4 seasons weather clearly someone who loves mild to warm sunny year round weather probably wouldn't be the best person to take their opinion on climate.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:20 PM

268 posts, read 430,731 times
Seriously? If there was a place with all pros, no cons, it'd be called heaven and we'd all be dead.

OP, life is unfortunately not black and white like a spreadsheet. There's mystery and unknown variables and a little bit of magic in there. Enjoy.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:37 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
This is not a decision that you should entrust to strangers on an internet forum. They know virtually nothing about you, so how could they advise you in any way? The best they could do is offer suggestions based on the limited information that they have. However, ultimately you have to know yourself well enough to know what you are and are not looking for in a future home, not what random strangers on an internet forum are and are not looking for.

I can see asking for detailed information about a specific location here, but asking strangers to help you decide your life moves? I don't get that.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:41 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Well, I mean, it seems like ANY place that I create threads about and ask for advice on end up being ridiculed by half of the people in the thread, and the other half end up encouraging me to pursue the place. For example, if I make a thread about moving to West New York, people react like, "oh my god, do not move there, because of all the snow and depressed economy." But then, if I make a thread about if Florida is good for me, people will be quick to say things like "oh my god, do not move there....it's too hot and humid and touristy." Or, if I ask about moving to say, Phoenix, people will say, "oh my god, don't move there....it's too generic, hot and dry."

So it's like...what am I supposed to do?! It seems like every place in this country sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.