Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 01:27 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNerd View Post
Great public transportation that is not too expensive for a monthly pass.
Many jobs that don't require a college degree.
Apartments under $1,300 a month.
The ocean touches one of the states borders (I don't want to be land locked!)
The cost of living is A LOT cheaper than places like New York City and San Francisco.

If you can let go of the idea of an ocean and settle for a Great Lake you'll broaden your potential landing sites easily. Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Detroit, and many others all become possibilities.

And believe me, if you've never seen the Great Lakes from one of these cities, you'd be hard pressed to know that they were NOT oceans. It's not like some river or lake you can see across to the other side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 01:35 PM

29 posts, read 44,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
If you can let go of the idea of an ocean and settle for a Great Lake you'll broaden your potential landing sites easily. Chicago, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, Detroit, and many others all become possibilities.

And believe me, if you've never seen the Great Lakes from one of these cities, you'd be hard pressed to know that they were NOT oceans. It's not like some river or lake you can see across to the other side.
I don't HAVE to be near an ocean. It'd just be nice. But good transit is a must. And it has to be a big city for me to co sider. I hate small towns. They're for old people (no offense to any old people). Rural areas are great for old people to retire in (if they can drive a vehicle that is, otherwise you may need to go to a nursing home, because chances are you have trouble with taking care of yourself too).

Old 11-25-2014, 01:38 PM

442 posts, read 496,390 times
Twin Cities? Great jobs (unemployment rate is 4.3). Great transit system. Great Lakes are up north. COL is pretty decent...daycare is expensive, though.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:39 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
IMHO you should consider the following...

Chicago
Philadelphia
Baltimore

I'm not sure any have a great job market for those without college degrees - not unless you have a background in hospitality or something like that. But the Sun Belt is the only part of the country with strong blue-collar job growth in the cities, and mass transit there sucks.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
IMHO you should consider the following...

Chicago
Philadelphia
Baltimore

I'm not sure any have a great job market for those without college degrees - not unless you have a background in hospitality or something like that. But the Sun Belt is the only part of the country with strong blue-collar job growth in the cities, and mass transit there sucks.
Do Chicago, Philadelphia, and Baltimore all have good public transportation? And apartments under $1,300 a month?

Old 11-25-2014, 01:54 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
Based on what you're looking for, you should move to Chicago and call it a day. Rent is manageable (for a city it's size); public transportation is excellent; you're more likely to find a job without a degree there than many other metros; the lakefront is better than many ocean side cities. Do some research. The only real downside is you're going freeze your nuts off in the winter.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:56 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
Austin, TX and Nashville, TN are my two favorite cities to live in. You might want to look into those two cities they both rock literally.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Based on what you're looking for, you should move to Chicago and call it a day. Rent is manageable (for a city it's size); public transportation is excellent; you're more likely to find a job without a degree there than many other metros; the lakefront is better than many ocean side cities. Do some research. The only real downside is you're going freeze your nuts off in the winter.
No way! I was HIGHLY considering there. Does it actually snow there in the winter! I'd love to have snow on Christmas! Christmas without snow just feels less like Christmas! I'm willing to deal with freezing cold winters, that's what snow coats are for.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:04 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Great public transportation that is not too expensive for a monthly pass.
Many jobs that don't require a college degree.
Apartments under $1,300 a month.
The ocean touches one of the states borders (I don't want to be land locked!)
The cost of living is A LOT cheaper than places like New York City and San Francisco.
It sounds to me like Philadelphia comes the closest to meeting your criteria. It is a 1-hour drive to the Atlantic ocean and has the lowest COL of the major east coast cities. I actually think Philadelphia is quite a bargain for what you get.

Alternatively, Chicago would be excellent if you're okay with a great lake.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:10 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Quote:
Do Chicago, Philadelphia, and Baltimore all have good public transportation? And apartments under $1,300 a month?
They all have among the best public transit in the country (Baltimore's being slightly less good). As to housing costs, you could spend way more than that to be in a hipster neighborhood, but all of them have rents in that range in non-ghetto neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.