Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 02:53 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
From the historic side I-40 follows the " Grapes of Rath" highway, US -40 all the way to Cal.
It does not.

U.S. 40 is well north of I-40, starting in Atlantic City and ending somewhere in Utah, now, I believe. It mostly parallels I-70. Its origins were the National Road, Zane's Trace, and a few other historic roads.

Some of I-40 parallels what was once U.S. 66. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
No love for I-77 or 64?
I was stunned taking I-77 south from Cleveland at the scenery. In Ohio it's all rolling hills and farmland. Once you drive into West Virginia, it's another and breathtaking world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
My biggest gripe with I-90 is the NY stretch.

Visually it literally goes through the most boring part of the state, skipping almost all of the hills and mountains and remaining on the flattest land available in upstate NY.

Also the tolls. Man, those weren't supposed to stay.

Going through NY state and want something to look at? Take the southern tier expy! It goes straight through the northern end of Appalachia and good God it is some of the best views upstate NY has to offer.
Yeah, but when you get to Chautauqua County and get your first glimpse of Lake Erie from the highway ... ahhh.

You're right about the Southern Tier Expressway -- now I-86 from Binghamton to I-90 in Pennsylvania. Very lovely scenery, and very few trucks to get in the way. I don't use the highway much in the winter, because traffic is so light that if I slid into a ditch it would be several days before anyone found me.

And at the western end of I-86, there are those stunning Lake Erie views again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I 75 can be a real pain. However there are several scenic stretches.
Yes, when you round the bend in Northern Kentucky and start descending toward the Ohio River via the "cut in the hill", and have that majestic view of Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 08:46 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yes, when you round the bend in Northern Kentucky and start descending toward the Ohio River via the "cut in the hill", and have that majestic view of Cincinnati.
I love that view!

Old 09-12-2015, 12:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

You're right about the Southern Tier Expressway -- now I-86 from Binghamton to I-90 in Pennsylvania. Very lovely scenery, and very few trucks to get in the way. I don't use the highway much in the winter, because traffic is so light that if I slid into a ditch it would be several days before anyone found me.
That can be really empty. East of Binghamton it has nice scenery of the Catskills; though it's not technically not an interstate. I-88 from Binghamton to Albany has pretty rolling hills; I-91 through Vermont has some decent scenery as well. Agreed that I-90 through NY State is mostly very boring.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:00 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
I think that Interstates need to be taken on the whole, not individual sections. For that, you really need to drive the entire route to get a good feel.

I have noticed that I-80 seems to be the truckers freeway. Nothing wrong with that, but when you have to move in and around them, it can be somewhat cumbersome. Nothing against our truckers, they provide a great service and for the most part, drive very safely.

I-90 is indeed the best. Little traffic compared to other east-west routes, and despite some isolated complaints, this road is simply utopia. (Please remember that some major metros contain I-90, but again, this is just a part of the freeway.) Trivia: I-90 was the last east-west Interstate with a stop light, in Wallace, Idaho. However, a bypass was built in the early 90's to skirt that!

Old 09-12-2015, 11:53 PM

300 posts, read 440,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That can be really empty. East of Binghamton it has nice scenery of the Catskills; though it's not technically not an interstate. I-88 from Binghamton to Albany has pretty rolling hills; I-91 through Vermont has some decent scenery as well. Agreed that I-90 through NY State is mostly very boring.
The southern tier expressway has the crappiest conditions I've ever driven on, having driven it back in April and driving around Elmira to Bimghamton all the time. The 90 near Erie has warnings about how bad the STE is. I grew up in the area so that may play a part, but I find the road very boring looking.

I'll agree with some others that say that the 17 in AZ is the most beautiful, between Phoenix and Flagstaff, such a variety.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:40 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
The southern tier expressway has the crappiest conditions I've ever driven on, having driven it back in April and driving around Elmira to Bimghamton all the time. The 90 near Erie has warnings about how bad the STE is. I grew up in the area so that may play a part, but I find the road very boring looking.

I'll agree with some others that say that the 17 in AZ is the most beautiful, between Phoenix and Flagstaff, such a variety.
Well, not everybody is able to appreciate the simple things.

I grew up around here too, you know. I still say it's beautiful.

Also yes the roads are in fairly bad condition but that really has nothing to do with the scenery.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:53 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Trivia: I-90 was the last east-west Interstate with a stop light, in Wallace, Idaho. However, a bypass was built in the early 90's to skirt that!

The Van Dyke freeway in the Detroit metro area has several stoplights. The speed limit changes from 70 to 55 a quarter mile before and after the stoplights.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:25 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The Van Dyke freeway in the Detroit metro area has several stoplights. The speed limit changes from 70 to 55 a quarter mile before and after the stoplights.
That is interesting. However, the OP's original post was asking about Interstate Highways, which M-53 is not.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:09 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
I'm surprised I-90 is the best. There's been construction on it between Chicago and Rockford for a few years or so and it was terrible. Some parts of it were only one lane. Whenever I need to go on it, a lot of times I would take route 176 for most of the way to 20 to avoid the construction and it was faster than taking 90 to 20. Now, they finished the construction, so it's much better. It's really cool how it goes all the way across the country. I never knew that. I like I-55. Not much congestion for the most part, easy to follow.
It's also quite a mess (quality of pavement) between Missoula and Coeur Dalene

Old 09-13-2015, 05:13 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
What about I 87? Especially between Albany and The border just South of Montreal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.