Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 12:56 PM

130 posts, read 163,907 times

Advertisements

Plenty of people are just fine living in Fort Wayne Indiana, and Bristol TN and Missoula Montana. Not everyone wants to live in a populated place. Again not everyone is a rootless tumbleweed chasing jobs, for some folks staying in the town where your roots are and raising your kids in the home you grew up in means something even if you have to make sacrifices.

Houston is very urban, and trafficky, and filthy, and filled with undesirables, you couldn't get me there for $25million. Same with NYC, LA etc,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 01:05 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
Houston is very urban, and trafficky, and filthy, and filled with undesirables, you couldn't get me there for $25million. Same with NYC, LA etc,
You must have a very different definition of urban than I do. When I was in Houston, I found to be very unwalkable, and was surprised at how close to downtown detached single-family houses were. Seemed like one giant suburb to me. I've seen small towns in Pennsylvania which are more urban.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:29 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The facts speak for themselves. With a few exceptions, cities that size are increasing, not decreasing in population.
Looking at the population growth stats the question should be does the Northeast and rust belt have a future?

Old 04-09-2015, 01:31 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
You must have a very different definition of urban than I do. When I was in Houston, I found to be very unwalkable, and was surprised at how close to downtown detached single-family houses were. Seemed like one giant suburb to me. I've seen small towns in Pennsylvania which are more urban.
Different people have different definitions of urban. To most young, urban professionals which is most City-Data posters, urban denotes a compact, walkable environment. To others, especially to those from smaller towns, it simply means a highly populated area in which Houston does qualify.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:35 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
"Small" cities aren't going anywhere. Personally, I consider 600-700k to be large. Small is more like 50-200k.

Like others have said, contrary to popular evidence, not everyone is an urbane, college-degreed, walking nut.

Some people like myself want an area that's fairly spread out and uncongested but offers all of the amenities of a larger city.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:42 PM

130 posts, read 163,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Different people have different definitions of urban. To most young, urban professionals which is most City-Data posters, urban denotes a compact, walkable environment. To others, especially to those from smaller towns, it simply means a highly populated area in which Houston does qualify.
It's just way too crowded. Too many cars, too many homes and apartments on top of each other...too much

I'm 27 by the way. although I am technically blue-collar I would consider myself a professional I'm just not urban I was born in San Luis Obispo County in California, move to San Angelo Texas when I was 15, and now live in a suburb of Virginia Beach called Mathews....The only big city I really enjoyed is San Antonio but besides that I would love to live in a town of 300 people in the Texas Hill country or in Northern Arizona.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:57 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
My small city in Iowa is doing fine and quite diversified.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Cedar Rapids is one of the largest cities in the world for corn processing. The grain processing industry is Cedar Rapids' most important sector, directly providing 4,000 jobs that pay on average $85,000, and also providing 8,000 indirectly.Fortune 500 company Rockwell Collins is based in Cedar Rapids, and Aegon has its United States headquarters there. A large Quaker Oats mill, one of the four that merged in 1901 to form Quaker Oats, dominates the north side of downtown. Other large companies that have facilities in Cedar Rapids include Archer Daniels Midland, Cargill, General Mills, Toyota Financial Services and Nordstrom. Newspaperarchive, based in Cedar Rapids, is the largest newspaper archive in North America with a repository of more than 150 million pages assembled over 250 years; it was taken offline for two days by the 2008 flood." The University of Iowa is 25 miles south of Cedar Rapids and is the largest employer in the state.

Last edited by smpliving; 04-09-2015 at 02:10 PM..

Old 04-09-2015, 01:58 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
FWIW, here's a list of MSAs. You can see that as you go down the list in terms of size, it becomes more likely the whole metro will have a shrinking population than a growing one. Even at the bottom of the list though, most are growing, although virtually all the MSAs shrinking have less than 400,000 residents.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:07 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Looking at the population growth stats the question should be does the Northeast and rust belt have a future?
Yes and keep in mind that these are estimates, which were off during the previous decade.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:40 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Why would they not? Everyone can't move to the desert...that's not sustainable. Have you heard of the Great Lakes? They will become MUCH more important as this country grows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.