Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 03:42 PM

56 posts, read 70,978 times

Advertisements

By this, I mean, do you feel like maybe they are a bit too enthused about an area you have see nothing special about?

I've lived (moved) to an area 2 times--once for about 3 years, then we returned a few years later because of a job offer (nothing else) for my spouse.

The second time I really tried to fit in, shut up, get with what the locals were doing, volunteer (3 or four place), find a job (again) really tried. I did meet a lot more people, made two good friends (both not from this area).

Now, few years later and I am disheartened. I wonder if it is the Recession, me, or this area? I feel like everyone is drinking the kool aid as they say. The media constantly reports how great the job market it here (and in the entire state). Our neighboring state is also supposed to be booming.

I never see any decent jobs. I feel like unless you have $$$$ you are basically locked out of a good life here. They keep food prices high, gym prices high, and recreation for anything apart from drinking or smoking seems out of reach. Even the library in the one decent town costs money. Our local ones are sub-par.

Do you think unless you are a local in a place you will always feel like an outsider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 12:36 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
What place is this?

Old 04-14-2015, 01:53 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,676 times
Yeah, at least a region.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:53 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times
Sounds like a disgruntled employee. It's a harsh thing to say, but assuming you have your health, there's absolutely no reason any American is not firmly in the Middle Class. I don't care if you're making $12/hour----you can get rich---you'll have to work 70-80 hours/week-----but that's what my immigrant forefathers did when they moved to this country without speaking English and not having 2 pennies to rub together.

Work from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm-----six days a week. Live within your means----you'll have a comfortable retirement.

The problem is few Americans want to do this----I have no sympathies for them.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:41 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
When I moved to Oregon for college, I experienced four years of just wondering, "This is what everyone was blathering about?" I felt duped. This was compounded by the incessant cheerleading and self-congratulatory prattle of locals who were baffled and/or offended that anyone might not think that everything in Oregon was the greatest thing ever. I honestly felt like I was living in the twilight zone, or a psychological experiment about herd mentality, or even some kind of elaborate TV prank show.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:52 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
I don't really "buy" anything anyone says about any place. I have to decide for myself whether it's a yay or a nay.

I let everyone else live in peace. That's all there is to it.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:11 AM

649 posts, read 570,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Sounds like a disgruntled employee. It's a harsh thing to say, but assuming you have your health, there's absolutely no reason any American is not firmly in the Middle Class. I don't care if you're making $12/hour----you can get rich---you'll have to work 70-80 hours/week-----but that's what my immigrant forefathers did when they moved to this country without speaking English and not having 2 pennies to rub together.

Work from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm-----six days a week. Live within your means----you'll have a comfortable retirement.

The problem is few Americans want to do this----I have no sympathies for them.
I'm not sure if your being sarcastic or not but what kind of life is that? I'm not going to spend the best years of my life working my butt off 80 hours a week and hope that I live long enough to enjoy life later.

Seriously, what's the point of living if all you do is work? I truly feel sorry for people with this mindset. I think there can be a balance between saving for retirement and enjoying life in the present day.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:15 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
Yeah, pretty much.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:21 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilnca View Post
By this, I mean, do you feel like maybe they are a bit too enthused about an area you have see nothing special about?

I've lived (moved) to an area 2 times--once for about 3 years, then we returned a few years later because of a job offer (nothing else) for my spouse.

The second time I really tried to fit in, shut up, get with what the locals were doing, volunteer (3 or four place), find a job (again) really tried. I did meet a lot more people, made two good friends (both not from this area).

Now, few years later and I am disheartened. I wonder if it is the Recession, me, or this area? I feel like everyone is drinking the kool aid as they say. The media constantly reports how great the job market it here (and in the entire state). Our neighboring state is also supposed to be booming.

I never see any decent jobs. I feel like unless you have $$$$ you are basically locked out of a good life here. They keep food prices high, gym prices high, and recreation for anything apart from drinking or smoking seems out of reach. Even the library in the one decent town costs money. Our local ones are sub-par.

Do you think unless you are a local in a place you will always feel like an outsider?
Sounds like Oklahoma City.

I know exactly how you feel. I've lived here twice, hated it the first time and hate it even more now. Making friends is next to impossible unless you were both born and raised here and have an Okie mindset, which is difficult if you've lived anywhere else. I've been back for three years and feel no more a part of the community than I did the day I arrived, except I am a much angrier person now than I was then. Everything here is very substandard and below par compared to elsewhere.

Native Okies love it though and Oklahoma merchandise is big money here.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:32 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
I'm not sure if your being sarcastic or not but what kind of life is that? I'm not going to spend the best years of my life working my butt off 80 hours a week and hope that I live long enough to enjoy life later.

Seriously, what's the point of living if all you do is work? I truly feel sorry for people with this mindset. I think there can be a balance between saving for retirement and enjoying life in the present day.
Exactly, it isn't about wanting to, it's about quality of life. Saying people can't so they shouldn't complain isn't much different than saying "Well you have all your bills paid for, who cares if you're a slave?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.