Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 10:10 PM

428 posts, read 451,083 times

Advertisements

The 2010 American census shows a huge increase in mixed people from the 2000 census. The states of Mississippi, South Carolina, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Georgia have seen the biggest increases.

The states with the lowest increases have been New Jersey, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, California, and New Mexico. New York is the only state that has actually experienced a decrease in mixed people.

Why has New York experienced a decline in mixing, and why is it so low in northern "progressive" states like New Jersey and Massachusetts? Also, why is it that the states with the biggest increases of mixed people are southern "red" states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 10:27 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
The 2010 American census shows a huge increase in mixed people from the 2000 census. The states of Mississippi, South Carolina, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Georgia have seen the biggest increases.

The states with the lowest increases have been New Jersey, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, California, and New Mexico. New York is the only state that has actually experienced a decrease in mixed people.

Why has New York experienced a decline in mixing, and why is it so low in northern "progressive" states like New Jersey and Massachusetts? Also, why is it that the states with the biggest increases of mixed people are southern "red" states?
In the rural South white and black people lived in the same towns and communities even during segregation. They had cultures that were very similar then. With segregation generations in the past there is a lot more intermarriage.

Meanwhile in the urban parts of the U.S. people selfsegregate into little enclaves of whiteness, blackness, and what have you. They don't attend the same schools. Their cultures are growing further and further apart. They don't interact with each other on a daily basis and in truth they have created lives where their paths only cross in the most informal and impersonal ways.

That's the truth, but everyone has this stereotypical image of what the South is like so many here will never believe it.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:32 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,917 times
Could you post the numbers?

Old 04-17-2015, 08:05 AM

56 posts, read 70,987 times
The lines between White and Black people in the South have always been blurred. How many White people have some Black in them and visa versa in the South? Huge--

Consider the "slave culture" (White men having relations with their black slaves)--many mixed people
Consider people "passing" for White.

There are many stories about "the Black family down the road" with the same last name related to "the White one" in the South.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:18 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,547,230 times
I believe it. The city I live in has, by far, both the highest level of interracial marriages AND is the least desegregated city in the entire country.

And it's in the South.

So.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:40 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
I believe it. The city I live in has, by far, both the highest level of interracial marriages AND is the least desegregated city in the entire country.

And it's in the South.

So.
I didn't know that Honolulu was in the South?

https://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/...c2010br-13.pdf

I guess we learn something new every day. City Data really does believe anything someone posts

Look at page 11.

>inb4 City-Data racist brigade

Relax people. No non-white will have sex with you. Well, replace that with no one will have sex with you Don't worry!

Old 04-17-2015, 10:23 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
I didn't know that Honolulu was in the South
I think he's talking about Virginia Beach. If so that's no surprise since military areas tend to have a high level of racial integration and mixing.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:20 PM

34 posts, read 36,264 times
No shock to me. New Yorkers and New Jerseyans like to talk the talk about tolerance, but we're the ones who have to walk the walk. I don't care what you look like, where your from, or what you do in your home. Y'all are welcome to stop by for a glass of sweet tea any day of the week.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:51 PM

93,384 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthernfishin View Post
No shock to me. New Yorkers and New Jerseyans like to talk the talk about tolerance, but we're the ones who have to walk the walk. I don't care what you look like, where your from, or what you do in your home. Y'all are welcome to stop by for a glass of sweet tea any day of the week.
That's not it. It may be as simple of how people identify.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:27 PM

304 posts, read 325,100 times
it's quite simple really there is a larger percentage of African Americans in the south than anywhere else in the country, so it stands to reason that there would be more opprotunities for whites to date/marry blacks in the South than somewhere else. I mean if you are white and living in Minnessota which has a low African American poipulation it's kinda hard to develop a relationship with a black person.

Also people tend to think of the south as a monolithic culture where everybody's ancestors owned slaves and every white person was beating black people in the streets everyday. In reality most white people in the south during coloinzation and the days of slavery were poor. They were lucky to rent a house, much less own slaves or property. Much of the divisiveness during the days following the civil war and later during integration stemmed from class warfare more so than race. It's funny many of my friends from the New York that come to visit me in Atlanta are often shocked at the diversity they see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.