Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 04:06 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
LSU baseball is very popular in South Louisiana so a pro baseball team could also get a good fanbase. While it may be the smallest MLB metro, its still much much larger than Green Bay which has an NFL team.

Columbus is a very large metro area without an NBA or NFL team. I guess too much competition from Ohio State's teams, and also from Cincinnati.
Green Bay is a special case, the city of Green Bay owns the Packers, rather than a typical private owner. Otherwise, they might have left years ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 09:45 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Yeah it's very hard to see New Orleans supporting another major pro franchise anytime soon. They are already above their weight class (but doing well) with just the Saints and Pelicans.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:34 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Yeah it's very hard to see New Orleans supporting another major pro franchise anytime soon. They are already above their weight class (but doing well) with just the Saints and Pelicans.
There's no way in hell we could support another team unless the MLB goes down to 12 games a season.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:13 PM

553 posts, read 615,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post
Virginia Beach has been the principal city of the Hampton Roads metro since the 2010 Census (replacing Norfolk), but more importantly in this case, it is the city that is in the process of building an arena that could potentially host an NBA team. Norfolk has nothing to do with it.
Have to correct myself here -- time ran out on the effort to secure funding for the Virginia Beach arena on Election Day, and the city council voted to terminate the building contract. For now, the most likely project for a larger arena in the metro will be the downward expansion of the Norfolk Scope.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:24 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
LSU baseball is very popular in South Louisiana so a pro baseball team could also get a good fanbase. While it may be the smallest MLB metro, its still much much larger than Green Bay which has an NFL team.

Columbus is a very large metro area without an NBA or NFL team. I guess too much competition from Ohio State's teams, and also from Cincinnati.
Columbus is only 2 million in the metro; it would be among the smallest in both NBA and NFL as well, if it were to get one.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:00 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
In other sports related expansion news, the MLB is very serious about expanding by 2 more teams with Montreal and Portland identified as frontrunners. MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred has met with the mayor of Montreal on numerous occasions in the last 3 years and during the summer publicly stated that when the MLB expands that Montreal is a lock to get one of the expansion teams.

Portland, Montreal Reportedly Target Cities for MLB Expansion | Bleacher Report

[/url]
Charlotte which to many is the most obvious option, is apparently a possibility.
MLB commissioner Rob Manfred tabs 3 cities as possible expansion candidates | MLB | Sporting News

Old 11-13-2017, 01:52 PM

203 posts, read 326,388 times
For the NFL, it is pretty good, but I would rotate IND, MIA, and BAL to more logical divisions.

For MLB I would:
- Expand to 32 with Montreal and Portland.
- Require Tampa and Colorado to switch leagues for better alignment.
- Give the A's and TB ultimatums to figure out their ballpark deals or relocate to cities that can build new ones.
...Either Charlotte, Austin, or Mexico City for the Rays - and San Jose, Sacramento, or Riverside/San Bernadino for the A's.

For NBA, Id move the Clippers to Seattle, and get rid of the East-West conference alignment. 5 divisions of six teams preserves most of the rivalries and spreads the stronger teams out. Then I'd change the season to go from Christmas to August, and shrink the playoffs to 12 teams.

For the NHL, Id contract all (or most of) the warm weather teams, and add 3 more Canadian teams. [Not totally convinced myself on this alignment, but think 27 or 28 teams would make the league better]

Old 11-13-2017, 02:29 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasomm View Post
For the NFL, it is pretty good, but I would rotate IND, MIA, and BAL to more logical divisions.

but you wouldn't move Dallas?? Its by far the most illogical division for a team

Old 11-13-2017, 02:34 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasomm View Post
For MLB I would:
- Expand to 32 with Montreal and Portland.
- Require Tampa and Colorado to switch leagues for better alignment.
- Give the A's and TB ultimatums to figure out their ballpark deals or relocate to cities that can build new ones.
Hillsborough County has set aside a site for a new stadium in Ybor City near downtown, and awaits approval from Rays ownership which is said to appear likely. Funding hasn't been figured out but local consensus favors heavily keeping the franchise in Tampa and would expect a referendum to appear for funding if other sources don't materialize. Attendance will increase dramatically in what is a much more central location than Tropicana Field, which is near the south end of the Tampa Bay metro.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/24/ne...issioner-hagan

Old 11-14-2017, 12:13 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Hillsborough County has set aside a site for a new stadium in Ybor City near downtown, and awaits approval from Rays ownership which is said to appear likely. Funding hasn't been figured out but local consensus favors heavily keeping the franchise in Tampa and would expect a referendum to appear for funding if other sources don't materialize. Attendance will increase dramatically in what is a much more central location than Tropicana Field, which is near the south end of the Tampa Bay metro.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/24/ne...issioner-hagan
I agree with your assessment. I've read the same thing about the Rays. With the ew location more centralized, I think things will work out great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.