Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 11:50 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Mashy Word is the man, I love that song he has "you looking good giiiirl, you looking good" I can't get the name for sure. Idk where it was shot though.
another one. i listened to mighty-mystic for a long time on mix tapes dubplates. had no idea he grew up in my neighborhood:
A Mighty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 06:44 AM

483 posts, read 353,819 times
Quote:
Miami proper is not very black at all anymore. Its been rapidly declining as a share.

Miami has 70k blacks in it. Less than 1/2 of Bostons black population.

Miami is 15% black. Id guess its only 6-7% African American.
this statement got me thinking about definitions. Do second generation non-US blacks tend to become more similar culturally to African-Americans (which of course is a naturally very dissimilar group of people) or more culturally similar to others groupings. Can we even use anything but outward indicators (like race) for grouping?

Old 09-24-2019, 10:35 AM

2,656 posts, read 2,097,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
this statement got me thinking about definitions. Do second generation non-US blacks tend to become more similar culturally to African-Americans (which of course is a naturally very dissimilar group of people) or more culturally similar to others groupings. Can we even use anything but outward indicators (like race) for grouping?
More or less depends on geography.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:31 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Lowell MA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUzheUUdeaY&t=160s

Old 09-26-2019, 06:38 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUzheUUdeaY&t=160s

Lowell MA

Old 09-26-2019, 07:56 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
Yes and no. It depends on the individual. These days people seem to identify with their heritage/cultural background to a significant degree. Due to greater affluence, there is more movement from the US back and forth to one’s country of descent. There are also more active cultural groups/activities. So I would say more are a cultural mix of American generally-speaking and their cultural heritage...

Old 04-11-2022, 11:34 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Adidas is bleeped out because it was a major gang reference in Boston.
Bostons is all about threes
Roxbury Dorchester and Mattapan.
Each stripe of adidas represents one of the hoods.
When you out your index and thumb together to make n 'o' you're holding up three fingers.
Those three fingers make a three lower case "b'.
Also in the Boston Red Sox hat, there is a 'B' shape in the upper and bottom space that make a 'B
B' so to some, there are 3Bs on the hat.

You can find song like "Throw my Threes" there's is a 'Threez' clothing line. There ais even a picture of the former mayor Meninot hrowing his threes.

Back in the day Adidas trees dotted the city, places where unprotected kids or rival would get jacked and their sneakers were thrown high into trees.
The most infamous adidas tree was in Grove Hall, the Interval Posse (the IVP) had electricity, and other amenities coming in from homes that had been forfeited to the hand. They were watching TV in the park and such. They had youth recruitment on lock and a tree with branches ready to break from the weight of sneakers. The dude if a building was a giant adidas symbol. Thet were dismantled by the FBI in 1997.
There is only one adidas tree left in the city in The Four Corners neighborhood, Benzinos neighborhood- untouched by gentrification still.

Benzino and the RSO (Real Strong Organizatiin/Rock **** ON organization/Roxbury Street Opertation) were the first to wear adidas on a Boston album cover. RSO fell under the Columbia point Dawgs. Columbia point Dawgs were the largest gang in the city for thirty years and we're all about adidas. The most popular adidas shoe in Boston is the Adidas Top Ten.

At the time of this song about 100 homicides. Year were occurring in Roxbury Dorchester and Mattapan ALONE per year and over a third of victims were under 21. Adidas was too controversial.
heard this this morning so wanted to share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL9dDlDlSx0&t=4245s (@1:10:45)

Old 04-11-2022, 11:36 AM

No.

I am not listening to a 2 hour radio show.

Old 04-11-2022, 12:39 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
I wonder with the future of Nubian Square and all the developments around there, how the Black Community in Boston will grow and be recognized as.

In Boston this weekend with my friends (2/5 are black from NY), the T maps showed 'NUBIAN SQ' really loudly and at the center of the map for the Silver Line. I think this will really help Boston represent its Black Community. Build what is proposed. Add a few more museums, Black-owned theatres and attract some cuisine/chefs... then make it a Cultural District. Put Nubian Square on a showcase. Make it somewhere where people travel to.

Old 04-11-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I wonder with the future of Nubian Square and all the developments around there, how the Black Community in Boston will grow and be recognized as.

In Boston this weekend with my friends (2/5 are black from NY), the T maps showed 'NUBIAN SQ' really loudly and at the center of the map for the Silver Line. I think this will really help Boston represent its Black Community. Build what is proposed. Add a few more museums, Black-owned theatres and attract some cuisine/chefs... then make it a Cultural District. Put Nubian Square on a showcase. Make it somewhere where people travel to.
They defitiely are, just give it time. My cousin is a realtor in the area.

https://dreamcollaborative.com/portf...cends-roxbury/

There are some dope events thrown there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2wH6L2mvjc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRt9bNXGgKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujvLqRtRsyw

The dude Arthur is my ex gf's Uncle lol. I know people in half these Bosotn Black videos I post smh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.