Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 09:55 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
you are aware that western washington has rural areas with farms right? The snohomish river valley is just a huge swath of farmland. here is a view on HWY 2 https://www.google.com/maps/@47.8968...7i13312!8i6656

and here is another view a little bit off the beaten road
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.8796...!7i3328!8i1664

oh look corn!!

do you even live in washington?
You've got to love those very Midwestern-looking mountains in the background.

The original post I was referring to was one in which the poster claimed that the drive eastbound from Seattle looked like the Midwest, to which I very strongly disagreed. I've made that trip more than once. Definitely nothing along that route that looks Midwestern. I do agree, however, that parts of western Washington where the landscapes are more verdant and rainfall is higher are somewhat Midwesternish. On a trip out to Olympic National Park last summer, I noticed all sorts of old farmsteads and big classic-style red barns that reminded me of home. Douglas Fir (a quintessentially Pacific Northwest tree) is way too ubiquitous to really give any area a real Midwestern vibe, though.

By the way, corn is grown in virtually every single state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 10:32 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
The west coast of Florida from Tampa bay down to Naples has a lot of transplants from the Midwest. A lot.... Probably a third of the people living there have some familial tie to the Midwest. So in terms of people you are going to find a lot of Midwestern feel there.

But then, people change when they move to Florida and live here a long time. Floridians have their own way of acting. People from Wisconsin or Massachusetts will act the same after they have lived here for ten years.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:43 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
Rural Amish country in Pennsylvania kinda looks like Iowa, and even rural areas of Quebec between Montreal and Quebec City.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:34 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Rural Amish country in Pennsylvania kinda looks like Iowa, and even rural areas of Quebec between Montreal and Quebec City.
Definitely agree that Pennsylvania Amish Country looks very Midwestern. This could easily be rural Iowa or Illinois! It's practically identical:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...dbd2d6!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1700...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...dbd2d6!6m1!1e1

Old 08-02-2015, 09:11 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
The west coast of Florida from Tampa bay down to Naples has a lot of transplants from the Midwest. A lot.... Probably a third of the people living there have some familial tie to the Midwest. So in terms of people you are going to find a lot of Midwestern feel there.

But then, people change when they move to Florida and live here a long time. Floridians have their own way of acting. People from Wisconsin or Massachusetts will act the same after they have lived here for ten years.
Yeah the layout of Tampa definitely reminds me of your typical Midwestern city, aside from the tons of Midwesterners here. My family came from Chicago.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:10 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post

The heat drives them crazy.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:10 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I'd say for me, of the places I've been to:

Eugene, Oregon - reminds me a lot of eastern Iowa and Wisconsin
Salem, Oregon - Feels like a much smaller Columbus, Ohio
Buffalo, NY/Erie, PA - Very similar to Cleveland and Toledo
Great Falls, Montana - Feels similar to the Dakotas and Nebraska/western Minnesota in culture and climate
Fort Collins, Colorado - More or less where the West and Midwest collide
The Gulf Coastal Plain between Lake Charles and Lafayette looks like the Midwest. It was settled by Midwestern farmers from Iowa. The only difference is that instead of growing corn they grow rice (and now crawfish). When the fields are drained for harvesting it looks very much like Nebraska or Kansas. When the fields are flooded it looks like Louisiana . There is even a town called "Iowa" in Louisiana just east of Lake Charles, but it's pronounced "eye oh way". It was settled by people from Iowa but the Cajuns in the area butchered the name back in the day.

Here is what I-10 looks like going through that area. Looks very much like Iowa, huh?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Io...5fa46d!6m1!1e1

Old 01-08-2016, 07:19 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Surprised nobody mentioned the Central Valley, specifically the San Joaquin Valley area. Endless, flat farmland. Of course, there are crops that grow there that don't grow in the Midwest, but when you're driving through areas of crops that also grow in the Midwest, it's pretty Midwestern looking. Sometimes you can see mountains, but sometimes they're so far away you can't or the smog/haze blocks the views. Parts of I-5 look just like I-65 in Indiana, other than a palm tree here and there.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:54 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The Gulf Coastal Plain between Lake Charles and Lafayette looks like the Midwest. It was settled by Midwestern farmers from Iowa. The only difference is that instead of growing corn they grow rice (and now crawfish). When the fields are drained for harvesting it looks very much like Nebraska or Kansas. When the fields are flooded it looks like Louisiana . There is even a town called "Iowa" in Louisiana just east of Lake Charles, but it's pronounced "eye oh way". It was settled by people from Iowa but the Cajuns in the area butchered the name back in the day.

Here is what I-10 looks like going through that area. Looks very much like Iowa, huh?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Io...5fa46d!6m1!1e1
I don't think I would confuse that with Iowa, the white dirt alone makes me think of the south

Old 01-08-2016, 09:51 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,927 times
Lancaster, PA - Feels like Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.