Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the West Coast offer a superior quality of life compared to the rest of America?
No, there are better places in America to live. 198 51.70%
Yes, but only if you have the money. 114 29.77%
Yes, even considering the cost of living. 71 18.54%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:04 AM

13 posts, read 14,710 times

Advertisements

How is that possible when the acid levels are higher on the east coat and 90% of veggies comes from the west mainly California because of its lush greenery. Were else in the USA can you grow garlic, asparagus, wins year round?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 10:12 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,739,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The East Coast gets more rain than Seattle, but is it really greener? Actually Washington's coast gets three times the rain Seattle does and has actual rainforest...it's pretty green.
The east coast is greener than some places on the west coast but not all. The climate over here is much more diverse overall I'd say and there are many microclimates. We go from deserts to rainforests and everything in between. I've lived in several places on the east coast for most of my life and I've never seen a greener place than western Washington/Oregon and it definitely rains more here than any place I've lived on the east coast. Yes maybe places like Seattle don't get as much rain overall in terms of sheer volume but that is because it doesn't rain as hard here as it does on the east coast. The amount of rain that falls in a day on the east coast could take a week to get here for instance.

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 07-15-2017 at 10:38 AM..

Old 07-15-2017, 10:14 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
I'm trying to line up a position in Washington state. A higher quality life compared to many areas of the US for sure.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:22 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
I think quality of living depends on a lot on subjective factors, so it's impossible to say whether or not a region is the best.
Yes... I think post #2 answered the question. I'm often surprised at CD forum posters ideas and values when it comes to the ideal place to live or the desired quality of life. It is different for everyone.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:43 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times
It depends on how you define a high quality of life.

This morning alone, I went for a lovely 20-minute aerobic swim in one of the two swimming pools at my apartment complex -- not many apartment complexes outside of Southern California feature more than one swimming pool, even in Florida (where I lived for years) -- and then went for a 30-minute jog around the marina; I live in Long Beach, FYI. I'm more than likely going to hit the beach later on, which is a five-minute drive from my home, and the beach I go to usually has very few sunbathers (it's kind of a hidden gem). All the while, it's a brilliantly sunny and a very pleasant 73 degrees with low humidity, which is a fairly standard weather forecast for most days from late March to early November.

Yes, my living quarters are likely older and smaller than what you get for the money in other lower-cost areas, but this amazing and beautiful Southern California lifestyle is really hard to beat. At this point in my life, it's definitely worth the price tag.

Meanwhile, it's raining and horribly humid on much of the East Coast from at least Georgia to New England, which is a real bummer at this time of the year, especially for areas like New England and Upstate New York that really only experience two solid months of nice weather (i.e., July and August). Been there, done that, don't want the T-shirt.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:54 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,739,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Meanwhile, it's raining and horribly humid on much of the East Coast from at least Georgia to New England, which is a real bummer at this time of the year, especially for areas like New England and Upstate New York that really only experience two solid months of nice weather (i.e., July and August). Been there, done that, don't want the T-shirt.
I disagree about the 2 months of nice weather. I was born and raised in New England and Spring and Fall IMO are great and my personal favorite times of year over there. I always hated summers over there cause I dislike heat and humidity.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:11 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
I don't know if QOL is better. Only been to the WC once and was SoCal. Wasn't too crowded than from where I currently live. Did a drive up close to LA and traffic was a bit intense. I so enjoy that California for certain area's of the State has an extensive mass transportation system that is reasonably priced.

For the crowds I came to appreciate how everyone is so densely packed in and that open space is preserved.

From research school's seem the same or better out there.

Housing cost is about $250K more in California.

In my field of work pay is about $20 to $30 thousand more a year after taxes out yonder.

Less concern about winter.

Able to exercise 24/7.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:05 PM

69 posts, read 86,951 times
Greenery.... I was Stationed at Ft. Dix NJ in the 70's, and I couldn't believe how dense your underbrush was right off the road way...I always said you could kill someone, toss them off the side of the road and they might not be ever found..
and the rain....holy-moly
We were standing in formation and a wall of raining started coming our way, Within a block of the barracks we got soaked to the bone, like we jumped in a pool with our clothes on...

Washington State and Parts of Oregon have underbrush like this also.. It comes from LOTS of rain..
Not so much in Idaho

Old 07-18-2017, 02:27 PM

68 posts, read 71,196 times
I roll my eyes regularly at people (here and elsewhere) who hold up the west coast as some kind of lauded ideal that is so vastly superior to the rest of the US. It simply is not. The west coast has some gorgeous, awesome areas. It also has many ordinary, unremarkable places and some seriously awful parts--just like any other region of its size.

My husband was a California native who moved to Pennsylvania to be with me. He likes almost every aspect of PA better and has zero desire to ever return to the west coast "promised land". I also have a friend who moved to Seattle from a small Midwest town specifically because of its reputation as a liberal oasis practically oozing culture and acceptance. She got a harsh and expensive lesson in the difference between hype and reality. After 18mos she was forced by finances to retreat to a small town in the butthole of Idaho where she had family. There she found a decent job, an accepting group of friends, and the woman about to become her wife. Everything she went to Seattle seeking turned out to be waiting in Nowhere, Idaho all along.

I'm not saying some places aren't vastly better for a specific person than others. I personally have lived in places that no attempt to make the best of could save, and visited plenty of others that couldn't vanish from my rear view mirror fast enough. But I don't believe there is any region objectively better than another. It all comes down to personal needs and preferences, and also exact location (the town I hated every aspect of is only 15 miles from the one I now live in and love).

Old 07-20-2017, 07:17 AM

131 posts, read 144,042 times
if you have the money. I can't imagine being any happier if I had money to live in california though I am biased being a california native with family there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.