Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is North Carolina the most well-ballanced state of the U.S.?
Yes 13 18.84%
No 56 81.16%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:34 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,165,947 times

Advertisements

With a large number of medium sized cities spread across North Carolina with no one city dominating, does this make this state the most well-balanced in the U.S.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 10:47 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,713,261 times
Ohio is much the same way. No one city dominates all.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:02 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,921,749 times
Yeah I would definitely say that North Carolina is not the most balanced state. I agree with the other poster I would say Ohio is. Ohio has 3 major cities, one in the NE, one in the middle, and one in the SW, you cant get any more balanced than that. The Cleveland/Akron area has 3 million, The Columbus area has 1.8 million, and the Cincinnati area has 2.1 million. Also it has medium sized cities like Toledo, Dayton, Akron, Youngstown, and others.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:35 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,348,634 times
Tennessee is pretty balanced with three good-sized cities (Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville) where no one city dominates. I would say Ohio also is pretty balanced. It is a very heavily populated state but with no real mega-city. Instead, it has Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, Cincy, Toledo, and Youngstown, which are all smallish mid-sized to largish mid-sized cities.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:43 AM

120 posts, read 461,236 times
Yeah but ohio stinks, I agree with North Carolina and Tennessee however.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:24 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickmystir700 View Post
Yeah but ohio stinks.
I could say the same thing about North Carolina for different reasons, as could many others on this forum, so don't be so sure of yourself.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:55 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,972 times
This entire website needs to chill with the whole NC thing.

And ya, Ohio is pretty balanced. There's always California or Texas if we're just saying states were several close-to-equal metro areas

Old 02-04-2008, 12:58 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,940 times
Yeah, what's with the whole NC thing on this site? It's not exactly the most important state in America- not even in the South, for many reasons Georgia, Florida & Texas are way more significant & prominent...

Old 02-04-2008, 01:01 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Yeah, what's with the whole NC thing on this site? It's not exactly the most important state in America- not even in the South, for many reasons Georgia, Florida & Texas are way more significant & prominent...
NC is becoming so "important" because Yankee transplants realize they can get "big cheap houses", "low taxes", and "nice weather." Essentially NC is the "New Florida," and it will likely start to collapse in on itself in another decade or so if current growth trajectories continue while water supplies continue to dwindle. Aren't there more important things to life than "big cheap houses?" If you go on the NJ or NY forums that's all those people rant and rave about. I just don't understand the allure of buying a house that's larger than you need simply because you can.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:58 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
NC is becoming so "important" because Yankee transplants realize they can get "big cheap houses", "low taxes", and "nice weather." Essentially NC is the "New Florida," and it will likely start to collapse in on itself in another decade or so if current growth trajectories continue while water supplies continue to dwindle. Aren't there more important things to life than "big cheap houses?" If you go on the NJ or NY forums that's all those people rant and rave about. I just don't understand the allure of buying a house that's larger than you need simply because you can.
Big cheap cookie cutter houses do not have the build quality even compared with older cookie cutters from the 60s and 70s in my opinion. Also, think about the increased energy and electricity consumption that goes along with all of these cookie cutters in the south. It really has to be straining the power grid in some areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.