Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 12:31 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I, for one, am amused by the agressive and passive agressive behavior of some midwesterners. My God, you can't even say Minneapolis is cold in the winter without igniting a firestorm.

If you feel CD is so odious, by all means, disassociate yourself.
One of the areas on my preferred list of places to retire to is in the Northwoods of WI by the UP of Michigan, an area with average temperatures quite a bit colder than Minneapolis. The cold doesn't bother me at all, and having a decent amount of snowfall each winter (Lake Effect) is far better than dealing with pointless 30-40F temperatures with pitch dark grey skies and almost no snow that passes for "winter" in other areas of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 12:34 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
One of the areas on my preferred list of places to retire to is in the Northwoods of WI by the UP of Michigan, an area with average temperatures quite a bit colder than Minneapolis. The cold doesn't bother me at all, and having a decent amount of snowfall each winter (Lake Effect) is far better than dealing with pointless 30-40F temperatures with pitch dark grey skies and almost no snow that passes for "winter" in other areas of the US.
Sounds like you're describing Indianapolis. While we didn't have a lot of snow this winter, it stays cloudy and muddy most of the time. I'd rather have sunshine and snow than a cloudy, muddy mess for months.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Sounds like you're describing Indianapolis. While we didn't have a lot of snow this winter, it stays cloudy and muddy most of the time. I'd rather have sunshine and snow than a cloudy, muddy mess for months.
I would argue that areas of Wisconsin get more sunny days in the winter than Indiana based on my personal experiences living in both states. In Wisconsin it's usually the colder days that are free of clouds due to arctic high pressure. In the Northwoods, however, the snow cover tends to brighten things up and there are plenty of winter sports in a "typical" season to enjoy things outdoors. My favorite area is Vilas County, it has about 1300 lakes within its borders and has a plethora of trails within the Northern Highland state forest. Good place to retire, very difficult place to make a living- mostly tourism based economy.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
You gotta be kidding me! The one and only thing people say about Minneapolis is that it's cold. We get it, and don't deny it. We just get sick and tired of hearing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again.

In other news, New York is big, Chicago has violence, Atlanta sprawls, and Phoenix is hot.
Maybe you should go back and re-read a few posts. I said Minne was colder than Moscow, and someone fired back that Moscow wasn't really *that* cold. And on and on. I admittedly participated in the highjack, but good grief! Some of you Minnesotans protest too much.

It is currently 66.7 here in metro Denver, the sun is out and people were eating outside at the downtown restaurants.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should go back and re-read a few posts. I said Minne was colder than Moscow, and someone fired back that Moscow wasn't really *that* cold. And on and on. I admittedly participated in the highjack, but good grief! Some of you Minnesotans protest too much.

It is currently 66.7 here in metro Denver, the sun is out and people were eating outside at the downtown restaurants.
The more I research the climate of Denver, I get a strong feeling that I would despise it, contrary to many people. The elevation combined with the insanely strong sun would be too intolerable for me. Getting crowded there too.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:47 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,144 times
Quote:

And it was 70ºF and brilliantly sunny in Minneapolis today. So what?

Old 03-14-2016, 10:40 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
and it was 70ºf and brilliantly sunny in minneapolis today. So what?
70.12!

Old 03-15-2016, 01:29 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Quote:
And that was our nighttime low in Phoenix. Whats your point?

Old 03-15-2016, 01:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
And that was our nighttime low in Phoenix. Whats your point?
That the temperature at the time in Denver was 66.7 degrees.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Yes. In point of fact, the winter in Minneapolis is colder than winter in Moscow! There is a reason it is the farthest northern upper-midwest big city metro. In fact, there is nothing comparable in size north of that latitude until Seattle, which has an entirely different climate.
https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States (Minn)
https://weatherspark.com/averages/33...ian-Federation (Moscow)
There is in North America, it's just in Canada. Montreal is slightly larger than Minneapolis, depending on how you measure; and has roughly the same January temperatures and a slower spring warm-up. Some of New England at the same latitude of Minneapolis has roughly the same winter temperatures, and again a colder spring. And less sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.