Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 04:58 PM

379 posts, read 289,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Uhm no. They tend to be more health conscious. Less McDonalds, more vegan restaurants.
One just has to follow the principles. Eat in moderation, get exercise, keep the mind relaxed and sound, get all essential needs for the body... one will then be healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 05:57 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Yep, its history taking its course. When a newer, wealthier demographic emerges on the coastal cities, the old demographics pushes inland to cheaper cities. Not necessarily a bad thing. It amazes me how much of the country still glorifies California as being a sexy, youthful hippie haven. Ha, no. The hippies got priced out and have moved inland to cities like Denver and Austin now. California is now all about IT developers and other casually dressed yuppies.

I worked with angry whites in the suburbs of Seattle (Snohomish County) who blame Asians in IT for the cost of living going up in Seattle. One of them ended up moving to the Midwest. i grew up in the Midwest, and in my Rust Belt town Asians were hated. I never really understood why until ai moved to Seattle. At that point, I realized that once a change occurs on the coasts, the inland cities get thrown the scraps. There is some truth to the joke that the Midwest is 10 years behind.

On a side note, I believe that San francisco is the most futuristic city in the US, constantly on the leading edge of new. Seems like changes that sweep the nation usually start in SF.
I think you've given WizardOfRadical a run for his money in terms of smug ignorance born of dated stereotypes and basic lack of exposure to other parts of the country. Good job.

Where specifically did you grow up? I'm extremely curious to hear about this economically-depressed town you lived where "Asians are so hated", because I highly suspect that it's a place that doesn't exist.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:57 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
The real reason obesity is higher in the interior of the country is twofold. Culture and urban planning. The culture favors high-calorie fast food and fried food over healthier options, and the cities are the least walkable in the US so people spend much more time in their cars. It really comes down to just that.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:40 PM

379 posts, read 289,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The real reason obesity is higher in the interior of the country is twofold. Culture and urban planning. The culture favors high-calorie fast food and fried food over healthier options, and the cities are the least walkable in the US so people spend much more time in their cars. It really comes down to just that.
Also education/income; people who are more highly educated and/or have higher income are more likely to care more about the various things that can impact their health, as well as have the resources to access those things.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:25 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
I read to page 30 before boredom forced me to skip to the end.

IMO, middle American is definitely underrated. Are cities like NYC, DC, SF, LA, etc. more desirable and influential than cities like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, St. Louis, etc.? Sure! But, are they so different, is the QOL so much better that it can justify the higher COL? That's for each individual to decide. But, for me, it absolutely cannot.

There are people out there who wear jeans that cost $500. I'll stick with my Levis; they work just as well.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:05 PM

145 posts, read 160,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's completely subjective, no? There are people like you who believe Dallas is not a "tumble down the stairs level of downgrade" and would be perfectly fine living there. For others, it would represent a major downgrade. There is no one-size-fits all here.

I know Philly was on a campaign (still on a campaign?) to attract New Yorkers to the city by playing up its lower COL. I'm not sure how successful it's been. I'm sure there are New Yorkers who have relocated to Philly because of the lower COL, but I'm sure there are as many who saw the billboard campaign (yeah, there were billboards) and said "Meh."

If you decide to live in a cheaper city and enjoy it, then good for you. But that's no reason to hate on people who make different choices.
This is probably the best response in this thread.

Big cosmopolitan cities have fancy restaurants and amazing job opportunities. If you don't care about those types of things, then a Philadelphia, Baltimore, or Memphis are pretty much interchangeable with a place such as New York.

It really just depends on how highly you prioritize the things major cities do well.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:25 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,166,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyDickey View Post
This is probably the best response in this thread.

Big cosmopolitan cities have fancy restaurants and amazing job opportunities. If you don't care about those types of things, then a Philadelphia, Baltimore, or Memphis are pretty much interchangeable with a place such as New York.

It really just depends on how highly you prioritize the things major cities do well.
But mid size and smaller metros typically have those too, it's just a matter of quantity. Which makes sense; if you have more people, you'll have more businesses and more options for amenities. It comes down not necessarily to what options you have, but how much of those options are present (if that makes sense).

Old 07-08-2016, 01:34 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
But mid size and smaller metros typically have those too, it's just a matter of quantity. Which makes sense; if you have more people, you'll have more businesses and more options for amenities. It comes down not necessarily to what options you have, but how much of those options are present (if that makes sense).
As well as variety and qualitu

Old 07-08-2016, 01:51 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
I love the Midwest. Decent supply of jobs, cheaper housing, low cost of living, and nice people. Best of all, the region isn't being overloaded with transplants from other regions.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:04 PM

145 posts, read 160,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
It's actually quality too. For example, there are Italian restaurants all over the Midwest; but there is nothing in the Midwest like Da Silvano in Manhattan. If you aren't a picky eater, there are tons of great options all over Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois. If you are a picky eater and a foodie, you won't feel at home in the Midwest.

I do agree with the OP's assertion that other than food and "dynamic" job opportunities, middle America is closing the gap at an alarming rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.