Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 04:51 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times

Advertisements

I thought that since the other thread about women exists, it would be fun to do this thread. Though I do suspect that those who are attracted to men are in the minority out of all the posters on here.

Where do you think this place is? Men who act like gentlemen, not tools, and are good-looking? That's a tough spot to fill. I don't think it's Arizona because while a lot of the Arizonan men are attractive, a lot of them are tools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 06:12 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
I'm from Connecticut so the answer is Connecticut. LOL.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:38 PM

231 posts, read 226,959 times
Hmmmm. For me it would be men who are intelligent (and not in a nerdy, mathematical way- I mean can talk about philosophy, books, etc) and also physically attractive. Also they should be feminist and view women as equals- no mansplaining for me, TYVM.

So... perhaps the pacific northwest? I found the men in Dallas to be attractive but boneheaded, the men in DC to be intelligent in a very STEM kind of way (which I find personally boring) but not in a creative sense, and the men in LA to be attractive but not very intelligent or feminist.

So my vote would be for the pacific northwest, based on all those factors.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
Hmmmm. For me it would be men who are intelligent (and not in a nerdy, mathematical way- I mean can talk about philosophy, books, etc) and also physically attractive. Also they should be feminist and view women as equals- no mansplaining for me, TYVM.

So... perhaps the pacific northwest? I found the men in Dallas to be attractive but boneheaded, the men in DC to be intelligent in a very STEM kind of way (which I find personally boring) but not in a creative sense, and the men in LA to be attractive but not very intelligent or feminist.

So my vote would be for the pacific northwest, based on all those factors.
Interesting. My college friends have told me a lot of attractive men are in the Seattle metro. I've never been though. I can agree that there should be no mansplaining and stuff like that, almost all the men out here are #Meninists.

As far as attractiveness goes, it's fair enough to say we have types. For an example I like blonde guys, that are tall (last two boyfriends were both 6'8", though I have dated guys my height and didn't care about it, but he did which is why I try not to go that route anymore) and I like guys that have more of a big build than a skinny one. That's my go-to but I have and would date outside of that. If I had to take a guess on where my "go-to" type is in highest concentration, it would be Minnesota. I guess it matters more where guys are actually gentlemen, would like to do trivia with me, and are pasta enthusiasts. Being a young, single Millennial woman this is extra hard for me. So I will take a guess at Minnesota and the Upper Midwest but I don't know. A lot of blonde haired blue eyed men are also in Utah, but they are usually Mormons, and being an atheist that will never work. I have never met a rude Mormon though, so I will give them that.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:07 PM

231 posts, read 226,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Interesting. My college friends have told me a lot of attractive men are in the Seattle metro. I've never been though. I can agree that there should be no mansplaining and stuff like that, almost all the men out here are #Meninists.

As far as attractiveness goes, it's fair enough to say we have types. For an example I like blonde guys, that are tall (last two boyfriends were both 6'8", though I have dated guys my height and didn't care about it, but he did which is why I try not to go that route anymore) and I like guys that have more of a big build than a skinny one. That's my go-to but I have and would date outside of that. If I had to take a guess on where my "go-to" type is in highest concentration, it would be Minnesota. I guess it matters more where guys are actually gentlemen, would like to do trivia with me, and are pasta enthusiasts. Being a young, single Millennial woman this is extra hard for me. So I will take a guess at Minnesota and the Upper Midwest but I don't know. A lot of blonde haired blue eyed men are also in Utah, but they are usually Mormons, and being an atheist that will never work. I have never met a rude Mormon though, so I will give them that.

I bet it would be Minnesota. I have heard a lot about the tall Scandinavian men in Minnesota and that section of the midwest- and who wouldn't like that?! Though it sounds like an especially good fit for your type.

It's funny, I have a friend who was Mormon, and she was trying to bring me to church- basically trying to convince me to join- and I have to say I considered it! The guys are just all so good looking, it's absolutely crazy! Though the no coffee, no alcohol, and no exposed arms thing was just too much for me in the end.

As for gentlemen, I do think the south does that better. In Dallas, I could not struggle with a suitcase or something heavy without having (at least one, often more) guy come up to me, asking if I needed help. It was really lovely. I would say that that kind of chivalry is probably even more pronounced outside of Texas in the real deep south, though I haven't lived there enough to speak with authority. But all my girlfriend who want gentleman- I tell them head south. Chivalry is indeed not dead in that part of the country.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:17 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,333,182 times
Most humble men without flaring egos: small, southeastern towns and smaller towns in the Midwest

Tallest and most physically attractive: Utah and Colorado (but I wouldn't call them all friendly - lots of ego there)

Most outdoorsy and adventurous: Pacific NW

Smartest and most successful career-wise: DC, NYC, SF

Most dynamic, wittiest, funniest, and entertaining personalities: NYC, Boston

Most monogamous and family-oriented: Smaller towns of the Midwest

Realest and toughest (mentally and physically): Rust Belt cities

As for the combo of attractive + desirable personality, I'll say NYC even though they tend to be short. There are a lot of hot, short guys out there. But they don't have the best morals.

Last edited by skidamarink; 08-21-2016 at 07:45 PM..

Old 08-21-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
I bet it would be Minnesota. I have heard a lot about the tall Scandinavian men in Minnesota and that section of the midwest- and who wouldn't like that?! Though it sounds like an especially good fit for your type.

It's funny, I have a friend who was Mormon, and she was trying to bring me to church- basically trying to convince me to join- and I have to say I considered it! The guys are just all so good looking, it's absolutely crazy! Though the no coffee, no alcohol, and no exposed arms thing was just too much for me in the end.

As for gentlemen, I do think the south does that better. In Dallas, I could not struggle with a suitcase or something heavy without having (at least one, often more) guy come up to me, asking if I needed help. It was really lovely. I would say that that kind of chivalry is probably even more pronounced outside of Texas in the real deep south, though I haven't lived there enough to speak with authority. But all my girlfriend who want gentleman- I tell them head south. Chivalry is indeed not dead in that part of the country.
Here in Arizona a lot of men are tan, dark-haired, and skew more towards the average (5'10 and a shorter, with a few being taller) and dress like bros (tatted arms, I was never really into tattoos but I don't care about it, monster energy hats, dickie's cargo shorts, etc.). There's also a lot of young men here with the preppy frat look, Vineyard Vines clothing, and chubbies. Arizona has ranked highly on attractive men in surveys so I guess I'm alone on this one.

Here's Where America's Most and Least Attractive People Live According to Dating App Clover - ABC News

In that source, the least attractive men skew towards California and the East Coast while the most attractive men skew towards the Midwest/Great Plains/Mountain West area. Scottsdale ranks #2 for attractive men, which like I said I disagree with. What I find funny, is that women are the reverse, more attractive women on the coasts while the least attractive are in the flyover states.

Yeah Southern manners aren't out here, despite a lot of Texans driving through (seriously, Texas license plates are everywhere) which is kind of sad. I always loved how open, warm, and friendly the South felt. I've been to a variety of places in Florida (north of Miami mind you, haha) and Louisiana which I am basing that off of. Never been to the other Southern states.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Most humble men without flaring egos: small, southeastern towns and smaller towns in the Midwest

Tallest and most physically attractive: Utah and Colorado (but I wouldn't call them all friendly - lots of ego there)

Most outdoorsy and adventurous: Pacific NW

Smartest and most successful career-wise: DC, NYC, SF

Most dynamic, wittiest, funniest, and entertaining personalities: NYC, Boston

Most monogamous and family-oriented: Smaller towns of the Midwest

Realest and toughest (mentally and physically): Rust Belt cities

As for the combo of attractive + desirable personality, I'll say NYC even though they tend to be short. There are a lot of hot, short guys out there. But they don't have the best morals.
Interesting information! I suspect that Colorado did well, especially Denver being... "Menver".

Old 08-21-2016, 07:48 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,333,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Here in Arizona a lot of men are tan, dark-haired, and skew more towards the average (5'10 and a shorter, with a few being taller) and dress like bros (tatted arms, I was never really into tattoos but I don't care about it, monster energy hats, dickie's cargo shorts, etc.). There's also a lot of young men here with the preppy frat look, Vineyard Vines clothing, and chubbies. Arizona has ranked highly on attractive men in surveys so I guess I'm alone on this one.

Here's Where America's Most and Least Attractive People Live According to Dating App Clover - ABC News

In that source, the least attractive men skew towards California and the East Coast while the most attractive men skew towards the Midwest/Great Plains/Mountain West area. Scottsdale ranks #2 for attractive men, which like I said I disagree with. What I find funny, is that women are the reverse, more attractive women on the coasts while the least attractive are in the flyover states.

Yeah Southern manners aren't out here, despite a lot of Texans driving through (seriously, Texas license plates are everywhere) which is kind of sad. I always loved how open, warm, and friendly the South felt. I've been to a variety of places in Florida (north of Miami mind you, haha) and Louisiana which I am basing that off of. Never been to the other Southern states.
Don't believe those lists such as the Clover app one. Those pull data only from users of the app - how many people do you know who use the app Clover? Men in the Midwest and Mountain West are more likely to use dating websites, which helps their numbers for such "studies." I lived in Nebraska for years, and I can tell you the men are NOT physically attractive although they do have good moral character.

That's hilarious what you mention about Arizona men's dress code. I always suspected the preppy frat look was a southeastern thing. Although if you head up north to Seattle, you'll be surrounded by hipsters in thrift store clothing and lots of guys in skinny jeans with undercut hairdos (Macklemore lookalikes) and facial piercings. Not my cup of tea either. I prefer the plain jeans and t-shirts of the Midwest.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Don't believe those lists such as the Clover app one. Those pull data only from users of the app - how many people do you know who use the app Clover? Men in the Midwest and Mountain West are more likely to use dating websites, which helps their numbers for such "studies." I lived in Nebraska for years, and I can tell you the men are NOT physically attractive although they do have good moral character.
That's true I thought of that as well. I never even heard of that app. Now if this study was based off Tinder then I could definitely get behind it. Tinder is very widespread. I'd love if Tinder released the most right swipes on men based on what cities. A lot of men on Tinder do is right swipe for every woman and then see what woman right swipes on them and then decides, which skews the data for attractive women. But women don't quite operate that way on the app, haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.